Leica Elmar 9cm with engraving

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a common lens in my collection "Leica Elmar 9cm 1:4 for SM39. This one has some engravings on the screw mount side : "W.H." Does someone know about it? Are these the initials from the original owner? Please see pic's below

Best regards

Rotwang

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm pretty certain that 'W.H.' stands for 'Wehrmacht' or 'Wehrmacht Heer', referring to the German Army, as it was called until the end of WWII.

Edited by thrid

Lager (vol. I p. 90) describes the engraving "W.H." as short for "Wehrmacht Heer", i.e. "Army". He dates IIIc bodies of a special gray type with a "K" behind the number to 1942 numbered 3911424 - 391700 all engraved "W.H." on the top cover just below the word "Wetzlar". He also says that there have been 5cm Elmars and 13,5 cm Hektors with "W.H." and a special design for the VIOOH finder. I think it is not improbable that there have been 9cm Elmars with this engraving as well.

The engravings for the marine in Wilhelmshaven were engraved "W.haven".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Elmar 90 black is undoubtly a very common item (see for instance www.leicashop.com : 3 for sale ranging 100-200 Euro) ; yours seems to have unscratched glass (hazy, maybe ?), has also a rather nice number, has the military engraving who someone can value as a plus... I'd say you could ask on ebay something in the range 220-300 Euro and see what happens...

I would search around and see what similarly marked items are selling for. The most common probably are the Elmar 3.5/50, although military photographers very given priority over civilians for items like the Summitar (coated) etc. I haven't seen that many 90's marked like that, although they do appear in period pictures.

Maybe also check the Westlicht catalogs, Collectible Cameras, kevincameras.com etc.

Thank you all for the answer. I am not happy with it because I do not like military items.

Well, apart from those two engraved letters, the lens isn't any different from a lens of the same type and year. In other words, there is nothing "military" in this lens.

Andy