X1, a modern Digilux 2

andit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

For some or other reason I have been fascinated by the X1. There are a lot of people here on the forum that use (and love) the Digilux 2. By all accounts the Digilux 2 is an excellent camera.

I know the X1 does not have a zoom, but, do you think that the X1 will have the same dedicated following that the Digilux 2 has ?

Any comment welcome.

Andreas

Guest badbob

Comparisons are difficult for several reasons, the 6 to 7 year difference mostly. Supposedly Leica has some dramatic announcements coming shortly, and if those don't affect the positioning of the X1 or replace it, then the X1 can continue to build its following. One peculiar thing is, this forum was active long before the X1 was readily available, so the X1's following is fairly new.

Hi Guys,

For some or other reason I have been fascinated by the X1. There are a lot of people here on the forum that use (and love) the Digilux 2. By all accounts the Digilux 2 is an excellent camera.

I know the X1 does not have a zoom, but, do you think that the X1 will have the same dedicated following that the Digilux 2 has ?

Any comment welcome.

Andreas

Well, I´m one of those who really love our D 2´s, but at times it´s a little limiting. So I was very interested when the X1 was rumoured.

What turned me off wasn´t the fixed focal length; I could live with a very good 35 equivalent. But, the retracting lens and the very basic manual focusing, instead of the D2´s rigidity and (almost) scale focussing, even before turning on the camera.....

If they had just put a rigid, all mechanical 24 mm lens, with aperture and focus scales, on it, I´d have bought it right away; I wouldn´t have minded the increased bulk one bit. Now, no way I could see it as a successor of the D2.

However, Leica didn´t lose me; I bit the bullet and got a M9 instead.... But there must be lots of people who just couldn´t afford to take that step.

I'm not complaining about the X1, because I did not buy it. Generally speaking, two things put me off:

--For zone focusing, the camera's total amnesia every time it goes on standby. It should have had a focusing dial somewhere, in addition to the speed and aperture dials -- and with an A setting too, of course.

--For AF work, the fact that when using the push-on finder, you do not have any notion what the camera is focusing on. You have to use the multi-point shotgun approach, and hope for the best. Not my style. And no way I am going to walk around like a remake of Frankenstein's monster, holding the camera in front of me ... which is why ordinary p&s cameras are no option for me, either. Quick work takes a real finder.

So in my case, there is nothing -- NOTHING -- between my M9 and my 5MP mobile. Oh for the days of the Rollei 35! Give me a digital one!

The old man from the Age Before Everything

I have the Digilux 2 as well as the X1 and I think that in time it will have a similar dedicated following, its image quailty is excellent and focusing speed is about the same or just a bit faster on the x1.

I have now decided to sell my Digilux 2 and D-lux 4 in the next couple of weeks and just use the X1.

The X1 has inherited the Digilux 2's simple dial controls -- which, of course, every M and R Leica employs, too. The shape of the X1 is, IMO, more pleasing -- far more compact and closer to the Barnack original. Slow AF is a bugbear, but IQ is high.