Recommendations for PanF+ in Rodinal

de-JTC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I plan to take a few shots on PanF+ tomorrow.

I want to get a somewhat higher contrast and not as much shadow detail (black background for portraits). As a developer I only have Rodinal available. Grain is no issue. Does anyone have recommendations for the developement? E.I. doesn't have to be 50.

Thanks in advance!

Generally, the Ilford Pan F+ is very sensitive to changes of the development time. Even small changes, like ±15 .. 20 s, will make a fairly large difference in contrast while at the same time the difference in effective E.I. will be rather small. In other words, the development time must be maintained accurately. When in doubt then it's better to err towards a shorter time because with longer development times, the Pan F+ tends to become difficult to copy.

I always preferred to pull the Pan F+, i. e. expose for E.I. 25 (= ISO 25/15°) or E.I. 32 (= ISO 32/16°) and cut the development time by 15 .. 20 %. This will yield smooth and easy-to-copy negatives, and grain will be a little finer too. My preferred developer for this is Ilford ID-11 (same as Kodak D-76) but Rodinal will also work.

Guest dk_samurai

Why not just standing development? 100+1 dilution in something like 45 minutes or an hour. Pour the chemicals in, and leave it alone. Fix it afterwards, no need for a stop bath.

/David