Leica Elmarit 28 or Zeiss 28 Biogon

• 10 years later...

I have a Leica M and a vintage (1958) Contax lla. I use the Contax for B&W and for the sheer pleasure of holding it. The Zeiss Biogon 21mm f4.5 (c1954 -) that I need to complete my spec keeps turning up on eBay and other sites as 'Leica fit.'  Can the 'Leica fit' be restored to the original lens’s Contax RF fit without costing an arm and a leg? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-21mm-f4-5-Biogon-for-Contax-Nikon-Rangefinder-Pristine-Condition/184673719184

I would get one like the above,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Contarex-Carl-Zeiss-BIOGON-21mm-f-4-5-Non-RF-in-Leica-M-M10-M9-P-M246-M240-M-P/254722093082

And avoid ones like this.

You would be much better to get the 21/4.5 Biogon in Contax mount. If it has been converted to Leica mount: the conversion was expensive, and "one-Way", hard to convert back.

On 6/4/2010 at 5:09 PM, rhom said:

Hi Cris,

I have the 28mm Elmarit ASPH. I have been extremely impressed with it's sharpness and contrast, but it's most endearing quality to me is its very small size. This is my "normal" lens on my M8 and it makes for a very light-weight and compact combination. I have no experience with the ZM Biogon, but have owned Zeiss 28mm & 21mm Biogons for the Contax G2 and currently own a 50mm Planar ZF. All are fine lenses and deliver excellent performance.

So it comes back to the compact size for me. If this is something that you value, might be a feature worth investigating.

Best Wishes,

Rick

+1 the size and weight of that thing is ridiculous. Sharp wide open and contrasty it stays on my M8.2.