Leica Elmarit 28 or Zeiss 28 Biogon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a 28mm lens for my m8 and am wonder what others prefer? I have an opportunity to pick up either a Leica Elmarit or a Zeiss Biogon, i've read great stuff on both the Leica is only 200 more than the Zeiss so cost isn't an issue.

If anyone has an opinion or samples i'd love to see and hear them.

Thanks.

Cris...

I haven't used the ZM 28 so I can't comment on that. However it seems to be general conception that Zeiss usually has slightly warmer colors.

Having said that I enjoy my 28mm elmarit. Also worth noting is that the new leica lenses come 6-bit coded which means you don't have to worry about hand coding etc

I'm sure I wouldn't distinguish the two lenses from each other if I were provided a sample image of both. Perhaps some professional would - I don't know. Having said that, I would pay the extra 200 and get the Leica. In wide lenses the 6-bit coding makes all the difference.

And well, being somewhat "brand monkey" I'd always be 2nd guessing my choice of Zeiss over Leica... but that's just my personal fault and pain! I think everybody still agrees that Zeiss lenses are also absolutely brilliant!

I traded in ZM 21/2.8 for the 28 elmarit because I felt the 21 to be just a tad too wide. I couldn't fault the Zeiss lens in any way (besides being wrong focal length for me). Build quality was good, focus accurate and images were nice and crisp - absolutely nothing to fault.

//Juha

• Like 1

Hi Cris,

I've owned a 28 Biogon now for almost a year. I have two bodies, an M8 and M8.2. I have the Biogon permanently fixed to the 8.2 and have used it exclusively for a photo-documentary project. I obviously cannot give you the comparison you need as my other lens is a 50mm Summarit which I use for portraits. The Biogon has delivered terrific results even when used in 'point & shoot' mode where I set the aperture to f8 and set the focus back from infinity to the f8 mark ( hyperfocal). Great dof.

The documentary project is being put on display in two locations in Belfast next month and I have printed the images to 20 by 16 with amazing clarity. I run a business and have a budget and got the 'gear freak' thing out of my system years ago. This lens just works. I've no doubt that a Leica lens would be better but the Biogon has done a terrific job for me.

Belfast, The Steady Generation

Hi Cris,

I have the 28mm Elmarit ASPH. I have been extremely impressed with it's sharpness and contrast, but it's most endearing quality to me is its very small size. This is my "normal" lens on my M8 and it makes for a very light-weight and compact combination. I have no experience with the ZM Biogon, but have owned Zeiss 28mm & 21mm Biogons for the Contax G2 and currently own a 50mm Planar ZF. All are fine lenses and deliver excellent performance.

So it comes back to the compact size for me. If this is something that you value, might be a feature worth investigating.

Best Wishes,

Rick

• Like 2

Cris, I use the 24 elmarit that I purchased for the M8 after reading ReidReviews.

A subscription to that site will give you an *instant* answer to your question. Sean has reviewed all the wide lenses that fit M cameras.

The reviews always show images -- so you can see exactly how the glass takes pix, or in Sean's words, draws the image.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think it depends on the look you're after.

Both those lenses you mention are relatively high contrast. My 28 Biogon had more flare and CA than I'd prefer.

I ended up preferring old Canon 28/2.8 ltm, and the M-Hex 28/2.8 (Elmarit pre-asph v3 clone) with my M8, and film.

Hi

I personally prefer a lower contrast lens on a digital body. Also, the digital M's are highly sensitive to focussing tolerances. If you can afford it, stick to Leica.

Ted.

(I have the ZM 28mm, but will be selling as soon as my 28mm Summicron gets back from being coded. I also have a 21mm Elmarit, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron plus the voigtlander 40/1.4 as my references)

I've used both. I bought the Elmarit with my 1st M8 & didn't like it because it was so contrasty - not what Sean Reid would call a 'sunny day' lens. Got a Summicron instead; much happier with it on M8 & 9.

Recently, though, I bought a DAG-coded 28 Biogon for my rather battered 'carry-everywhere' M8u, & I like it better than the Elmarit. In contrast it seems to fall between the Elmarit & Summicron. It wasn't very expensive ($650 used). The image quality is excellent, though I find the hood hard to love.

Kirk

If for nothing, for its size M 28/Elmarit ASPH. My first M lens, got before the camera so just had dealer hold it until M8 was delivered. Price point was another reason, too.

This lens makes M8 realy portable camera (for me).

I also like B&W straight out of camera with this lens (I guess the contrast), but I did feel I did not get the same feel after attaching the IR cut filter.

Can't comment on the none-leica lens as I don't have them nor used them.

I've got an Elmarit 28 pre-ASPH, the last but one iteration, and I consider it the best lens I've ever had considering sharpness, flare resistance, nice colors and good contrast. It's almost glued to my M8. You can see some examples here:

Flickr: oronet.commander's stuff tagged with elmarit

By the way, I just hate its sunshade...

I am not sure about the 200 difference. Where are you seeing those prices? I have seen a Zeiss 28 Biogon for £675 but the Leica 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M Asph 6-bit Black is around £1400 ish, right?

I was comparing both these lenses in-store. The CZ is nice but the feel of the Leica is noticeability ummm Leica. It just felt more precise. If you really don't have a preference over look or size then I'd say Leica for sure.

• 2 weeks later...