How to set AEB on M9

57guy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been taking some HDR photos the last 6 Months and enjoy it. I just bought a Pentax Digital spot meter to check the contrast range.

I can only get the M9 to shot 5 exposures if I set the shutter speed dial to Auto. If I set the dial to the speed I want for the center exposure, It will only take one exposure.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the way the M9 is designed?

Thanks

Glenn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The problem for me taking each shot manually is the time it takes. If people, clouds, etc are moving, I want to take the 3-5 shots quick as possible.

Glenn

Well, getting the camera on a tripod and turning the shutterspeed dial is certainly quicker than fiddling with EV comp. But as Andy says, the whole concept of your requirement is not something the M9 is made for.

I wouldn't sell the M9 yet, give Leica a chance to add this feature in the next firmware. It makes little sense to not allow it in manual mode. Saying "it's just the way the camera is designed" is a cop-out, it's just the firmware implementation and there's no reason Leica can't change it. I haven't seen one person say they'd prefer it disabled AEB when in manual (as is currently the case).

In that case you need a different camera. Your M9 won't do what you want it to do.

I politely beg to differ. M9, WATE, Pantheon Rome. No tripod allowed.

HDR picture, 5 shots. Done in Photomatix Pro

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And I found this handheld shot on the Internet, HDR made with the upcoming Photomatix 4:

Your Favorites - Enjoy! - Trey Ratcliff | Stuck In Customs | HDR Photography Portfolio

Seems that with the right software tools, and the camera on A :rolleyes:, one should able to make pretty good bracket-series for, i.a. HDR pictures.

But, the OP wanted to do this bracketing automatically, when using the camera on manual.

Obviously, if he were to take several shots at different exposures himself, then he could do HDR in software, but that wasn't the question asked.

True, but the thread seems, to me, run in the direction that the camera is not good for HDR.

IMHO it is, and even better than any DSLR where you have to wade through the menu's to get AWB etc on manual. The simpler the better, that works here, again. However, to have the addition in firmware as the OP suggests would be great.

But no bracketing would do well when people are moving. When they don't, or move very little, the results with the M9 are excellent. The Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri in Rome:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Let's just get this into perspective. On my D700, setting a manual WB means holding down one button, and rotating a thumb wheel a detent or two.

Probably no different from using a digital M

No one has said the camera is no good for HDR. Any camera is good for HDR if you can change the exposure. I have done HDR with film.