Sign in to follow this  
starfish

MS MAG x.135 and Thumps Up EP-1 for M9?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello folks,

I followed this forum for several months – and now I joined "the club" by receiving my steelgray M9 - finally.

) As first lens I bought a second hand Noctilux1.0/50. I know: not the easiest starting point, but coming from Canon 5D MkII (which I will keep for T/S architecture and video work), I know for sure, that I love to shoot minimal DOF (85/1.2 and 35/1.4 on my 5D). As second lens I ordered the new Summilux 35/1.4.

Now my questions: I'm thinking of buying two accessories for the M9 and need some advice:

1.) MS MAG x1.35 by Japan Exposure: I need an diopter to focus precisely wide open, and I think, the Magnifier should help further. Is the light meter in the viewfinder still visible with the x.135 – or how does it change?

2.) Thumbs Up: The Noctilux is quite heavy and Thumps Up should help me to hold the camera more relaxed and stable. I'd like to buy the steel gray EP-1. There is a offer on the bay by popflash.photo888. Are they recommendable? On machtechnical.com there are only black ones. Is there any difference?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Ralf

I have the same setup..a new m9 and 0.95 noctilus. I bought the thumbsup, new version from popflash along with the shutterbutton from the same company. you must get the thumbsup..it makes a HUGE difference. I also got the 1.35 mag magnifier..it works great and you can see the meter just fine..get it.. you have to tell them its not for a rangefinder when you order it. something about patents in u.s. i might gt the 28elmarit myself..good luck

Welcome to the forum !

Me too bought the 1,35x... but after some time ceased to use it: the dioptre adjustement is very loose and tends to move handling the camera, and this is annoying... add that it makes difficult to frame with wideangles, it "eats" brightness from the VF, it makes impossible to "close" the std. leather case... well, at the end it has gone into a pocket of my bag, and rests there...

; luckily, not a great expense... Edited by luigi bertolotti

Welcome to the forum !

Me too bought the 1,35x... but after some time ceased to use it: the dioptre adjustement is very loose and tends to move handling the camera, and this is annoying... add that it makes difficult to frame with wideangles, it "eats" brightness from the VF, it makes impossible to "close" the std. leather case... well, at the end it has finished into a pocket of my bag, and rests there...

; luckily, not a great expense...

for your info, i "fixed" the (too easily) rotating dioptre adjustment by using a rubber "O-ring" from a plumbing shop. a picture shows how it fits below. for my particular setup, i can easily leave the 1,35x magnifier on the camera for all lenses to assist focusing. with the 21mm, i use an external viewfinder after focusing. with a 35mm, i can see enough of the framelines to be useful, and for the 50 and 75mm, the magnifier is quite useful. sorry, no ideas to help the brightness problem or fitting in the standard case ( i use a 1/2 case with leather front grip from the famous roman

).

greetings from hamburg

rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I lost a dioptre eyepiece once that came unscrewed - so I always check it for tightness now and again since.

any experience using it with a 28?

me? sorry, no experience with a 28 ..................

maybe luigi will answer - he has at least 5 lenses of every focal length

cheers

rick

me? sorry, no experience with a 28 ..................

maybe luigi will answer - he has at least 5 lenses of every focal length

cheers

rick

.... but, 4 28s only...(mean paired by 6 35s...

) : with the 1,35x the 28 frame (on M8) was not easy to see... I had to "look around" a bit...

Thanks for all the usefull information – especially rick for the one about the o-ring. I ordered magnifier (and Thumbs Up) yesterday and both are on their way.

Best,

Ralf

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lucerne
      On selling my M9 I removed my minus 2 eyepiece diopter and transferred it to my new M10. To make that possible I purchased and incorporated the Leica M9/M240 to M10 eyepiece adaptor.
      I have now noticed that my viewfinder is no longer sharp compared to my M9 experience and focusing is difficult.
      Has anyone else noticed differences since switching from one model to M10.
      I appreciate that the basic M9 body incorporated 0.5 compensation. Has Leica removed this internal compensation from the M10?

Comments from users with similar setups are welcomed
    • By didier
      Dear all,
      I am currently making a big part of my photos with my M(240) + 50/0.95 (also using the 75/1.4) with the 1,4* viewfinder magnifier. In low light I 'd like to have more clarity.
      I am considering the M10 and wonder if the better viewfinder of the M10 (particularly brightness) is still much better than the M(240) with the viewfinder magnifier (as you need to use an adapter to screw it on, do you reduce the advantage ?)
      Do any of you have experience with that ?
      thanks
      Didier
    • By samgold
      Hi Guys,
      I am a new leica user starting with a handsome m3 camera a few months ago. Really loved the camera but i had lost the eyepiece part. I guess it falled somewhr cause it is a 60+ years old camera. The problem is i do not know the parts exact name and how i could find it. A friend of mine gave me the part of m2's but i cant see anything with it. I am uploading 2 photos so you may see and help me about it.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
      --------------------------------------------------

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By goatsby
      I picked up the Match Technical Thumbs Up EP-12T for my Leica T and wanted to share my thoughts and experiences for those interested.

First let me say that I am a huge Thumbs Up fan and have used many variations over the years on my digital Leica's (M’s and X’s) and have found them a necessary part of proper handling. Once I bought a T and noticed that they released the EP-12-T Thumbs Up, it was just a matter of time before it made it's way onto my camera.

Through the magic of the internet, popped over to the Leica Store Miami website, ordered the EP-12T and had it in my grubby hands a few short days later. Once home, put it on the T and noted that the fit and finish was nothing short of the normal Match Technical fare; first class. It looks great on the T, and fits like factory equipment (or better in some cases). Swung my thumb to the back to get the grip and that’s where things were different….

This Thumbs Up was created so as to not block any of the T’s functions, namely the touch screen or two control dials. This is obviously a must, but I found that the thumb rest was a little short of being comfortable. My thumb was stretched too far from the normal position to reach the grip, but once I adjusted my grip it was a little better. Once I got used to holding the camera like this it was good, but found that as my thumb stretched across the back it covered up the menu bar and the top right hand corner of the screen. My first thought was that this grip would be a perfect fit with the Visoflex, but that is certainly not the case since it is flush-mounted.

Though the thumb stretch and screen blockage were not ideal, the benefit of improved handling outweighed the negatives, but the main reason this Thumbs Up and I did not get along was because it dug painfully into my side when I wore the camera across my shoulder and then also in the around the neck position. I never noticed this with any previous Thumbs Up, but it was painfully obvious with this iteration.

So, I gave the EP-12T a week on the camera to see if I got used to it, but we never got on well enough for me to justify keeping it. Although I returned the EP-12T to LSM, I still find myself reaching for it on the camera as it did provide greater stability and an easier grab out of the bag. Other users may not have the same issues, and I would still recommend the Thumbs Up EP-12T if you are okay with potentially dealing the above issues.

AG
    • By seezee
      Has anyone used these macro filters? Hoya 46mm Close-up Multi-Coated Filter Set ( +1 +2 +4) A46CUSGB

If so, could you share your experience/opinion? Thanks.