MS MAG x.135 and Thumps Up EP-1 for M9?

starfish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello folks,

I followed this forum for several months – and now I joined "the club" by receiving my steelgray M9 - finally. :)) As first lens I bought a second hand Noctilux1.0/50. I know: not the easiest starting point, but coming from Canon 5D MkII (which I will keep for T/S architecture and video work), I know for sure, that I love to shoot minimal DOF (85/1.2 and 35/1.4 on my 5D). As second lens I ordered the new Summilux 35/1.4.

Now my questions: I'm thinking of buying two accessories for the M9 and need some advice:

1.) MS MAG x1.35 by Japan Exposure: I need an diopter to focus precisely wide open, and I think, the Magnifier should help further. Is the light meter in the viewfinder still visible with the x.135 – or how does it change?

2.) Thumbs Up: The Noctilux is quite heavy and Thumps Up should help me to hold the camera more relaxed and stable. I'd like to buy the steel gray EP-1. There is a offer on the bay by popflash.photo888. Are they recommendable? On machtechnical.com there are only black ones. Is there any difference?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Ralf

I have the same setup..a new m9 and 0.95 noctilus. I bought the thumbsup, new version from popflash along with the shutterbutton from the same company. you must get the thumbsup..it makes a HUGE difference. I also got the 1.35 mag magnifier..it works great and you can see the meter just fine..get it.. you have to tell them its not for a rangefinder when you order it. something about patents in u.s. i might gt the 28elmarit myself..good luck

Welcome to the forum !

Me too bought the 1,35x... but after some time ceased to use it: the dioptre adjustement is very loose and tends to move handling the camera, and this is annoying... add that it makes difficult to frame with wideangles, it "eats" brightness from the VF, it makes impossible to "close" the std. leather case... well, at the end it has gone into a pocket of my bag, and rests there... :o; luckily, not a great expense...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Welcome to the forum !

Me too bought the 1,35x... but after some time ceased to use it: the dioptre adjustement is very loose and tends to move handling the camera, and this is annoying... add that it makes difficult to frame with wideangles, it "eats" brightness from the VF, it makes impossible to "close" the std. leather case... well, at the end it has finished into a pocket of my bag, and rests there... :o; luckily, not a great expense...

for your info, i "fixed" the (too easily) rotating dioptre adjustment by using a rubber "O-ring" from a plumbing shop. a picture shows how it fits below. for my particular setup, i can easily leave the 1,35x magnifier on the camera for all lenses to assist focusing. with the 21mm, i use an external viewfinder after focusing. with a 35mm, i can see enough of the framelines to be useful, and for the 50 and 75mm, the magnifier is quite useful. sorry, no ideas to help the brightness problem or fitting in the standard case ( i use a 1/2 case with leather front grip from the famous roman :)).

greetings from hamburg

rick

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

me? sorry, no experience with a 28 ..................

maybe luigi will answer - he has at least 5 lenses of every focal length :D

cheers

rick

.... but, 4 28s only...(mean paired by 6 35s... :D) : with the 1,35x the 28 frame (on M8) was not easy to see... I had to "look around" a bit...