135 APO Telyt-M | frame lines with M8.2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got a new 135 Telyt and already love this lens!

The only tiny bit of help, I miss with this lens, is to bring up at least the 90mm frame lines constantly for easier centering and framing.

Does anybody have tips for:

a) modifying the lens/ camera for bringing up 90mm frames or

B) having the M8.2/ M9 modified and 135mm frames added?

M8.2 offers 24 instead of 135 frame. Can't be modified to my knowledge. Why not ask Leica?

M9 offers 135 frame, doesn't need modification.

Since the 90mm frame is brought up by the longest of the three lug lengths, and the 135 by the shortest, you can't shave down the lug to get to 90. It may be possible to install a 28/90 mount. Ask Leica, DAG, Sherry Kräuter etc. (Speaking for USA of course.)

Remember, the 135 frame is just slightly larger than the rangefinder patch. My suggestion would be to go with the patch and use the frame preview lever when you think it would help. I don't think others had much trouble working from the rangefinder patch.

Modifying the lens wouldn't cost much, but would reduce its resale value markedly.

Edited by ho_co

Thanks Howard for the insight (and the image, reminding me, to mount the lens on my film cameras, before asking silly questions ;-) ).

I shot a lot of casual photos, every minute, I could with the lens, to get familiar to focussing, framing and estimating the crop.

You are very right, going from the focus patch works better, than scaling from the 90mm frames!

At the moment, the M8.2 really is my very only camera, I use everyday.

I would not want to part with it for having frames sorted out for the usual Leica turn arounds. Having my 50 Lux now for CLA and coding hurts enough with the expected waiting time :-(

Almost bought a 50 Summarit as a stop gap ;-) (I clearly can see Leica sales and service strategy now).

Thanks Howard for the insight (and the image, reminding me, to mount the lens on my film cameras, before asking silly questions ;-) )....

Remember, the M8.2 finder has less magnification than your other cameras. The image I posted is from the M9 manual, so it may give a better idea than trying to extrapolate from a film body. I think Guy Mancuso had a thread or two where he talked about how he used the 135 apo on the M8.

... Almost bought a 50 Summarit as a stop gap ;-) (I clearly can see Leica sales and service strategy now).

Boy, do I hear that! My M8 was in service for three months, during which time I had an older lens coded and bought a new lens for my Nikon that I'll probably never use, just because nothing I want from Leica is available! Had to spend that money somewhere... ;)

I am not aware which focussing connector the Apo has. If it is a standard helecoid the following trick won't work, but if it is a flat lug like all older 135-s it is very simple to bring up the 90 mm frames which are fairly usable - even halfway correct at infinity. Just push the mount release button and rotate the lens further against the stop thoughtfully provided by Leica

Edited by jaapv

I... Just push the mount release button and rotate the lens further against the stop thoughtfully provided by Leica

Works for the Apo-Telyt on the M8 as well.

To frame the lens you can take about 2/3 between the rangefinder image and the frames for 90mm.

My solution was to buy a big ugly old 135 Elmarit. Best $320 I ever spent on a Leica lens. Sharp and well balanced. Add a 1.33 focus magnifier and it's like looking through the 90 mm frame on a M3. Highly recommended for a lens you only need once in a while.

Tom