Film maximum sharpness?

Julian Thompson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would anyone mind posting an example or two of really sharp film shots please? I'm really enjoying my film shooting but do miss that razor edge that digital gives, sometimes.

I wonder if it is the consumer grade standard film I am using that means I just can't quite get the edge I want?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is usually the scanner that is the problem. Normally film will give between 40 and 70 Lp/mm resolution @ 40% contrast. According to the sharpening book by Fraser and Schewe 35 mm film scanned at 6300 ppi has the same potential for enlargement as digital capture in the 6 to 8 megapixel range.

Edited by jaapv

When did you take your last photograph with Spur Nanopan, Mani ;) Erwin Puts is comparing a fully chemical process, with only the prints scanned, with a digital process, where he stopped before printing and did not apply proper upressing techniques.

I think the OP is looking for a more practical answer, and inquiring about sharpness, which is something completely different from resolution. In that case I can only recomment the book I mentioned above, which is 50-50 film and digital btw.

When did you take your last photograph with Spur Nanopan, Mani ;) Erwin Puts is comparing a fully chemical process, with only the prints scanned, with a digital process, where he stopped before printing and did not apply proper upressing techniques.

I think the OP is looking for a more practical answer, and inquiring about sharpness, which is something completely different from resolution. In that case I can only recomment the book I mentioned above, which is 50-50 film and digital btw.

Spur Nanopan - great for holiday snaps and grannies' birthday. ;)

Seriously, I find that my digital images are sharper than my film scans - but the important information is there in the film images.

I won't get into the up-rezing argument - but I believe you know Erwin - why don't you ask him for the M9 raw file and give it a better shot yourself? ;)

Julian,

Three sharp film images to view.

Film v digital will have you spinning forever. Ignore it.

Film has an aesthetic that is best shown in print, but on the screen might not appear to be as sharp as a digital capture, but it will have 'body'.

Are you based in the NW ? Seem to recall that David Stephens supplied your M9; correct ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Spur Nanopan - great for holiday snaps and grannies' birthday. ;)

Seriously, I find that my digital images are sharper than my film scans - but the important information is there in the film images.

I won't get into the up-rezing argument - but I believe you know Erwin - why don't you ask him for the M9 raw file and give it a better shot yourself? ;)

good idea ;)

How sharp do you need the film?

PEOPLE

I think this is proof that film can indeed be too sharp.

Incidentally Julian - I think you (and many others) might find this blog generally interesting. Written by a (former?) member of this forum Mark Antony - not frequently updated these days, but full of lots of fascinating information on various types of film.

Mark Antony's 'party-trick' was always being able to correctly identify which online images were digital and which were film, when the challenge was thrown out by those who weren't aware that the subtle differences survive scanning, resizing, jpeg compression, and so on.

It's difficult to see what I'm driving at from the small images - any chance of a 100% crop from any of these so I can compare to what I'm getting?

Later...

Mani... Too sharp? Either Julian wants examples of sharp film images, or he doesn't. What's the point of showing non-sharp film images when specifically requested? I don't understand.

Mani... Too sharp? Either Julian wants examples of sharp film images, or he doesn't. What's the point of showing non-sharp film images when specifically requested? I don't understand.

Oh well y'know I assumed my comment regarding a very sharp image of three ugly blokes didn't need a smiley to make my jest obvious... :o

To view the 100% you have to see the full frame as well.

Here's an unsharpened version.

Julian,

I presume you're chasing the sharpness provided by digital, from 35mm film and viewed on a screen. Here's a grab shot, (with 100% crop) taken last week with an M9 & 35mm Lux (older, better Asph version in silver chrome :D ).

Film doesn't provide this kind of 'quality', but I prefer film and especially MF film. My mate Azzo doesn't get this kind of 'quality' from his film, but he captures beautiful images that utilise the aesthetics of film.

Edited by Rolo

Try a drum scan with an aperture slit of around 2.5-3 micron. If you want digital-like "cleanliness" from film, you might want to step up in format size, as in 6x7 or better yet, 4x5. If you have a strong enough back to haul the load, give 8x10 a whirl, than you will lose all sensibility and will want to shoot 11x14. Trust me, its a slippery slope.

Edited by jplomley