ZM 85/2 user, please post ur pics :)

V_kids

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Richard_man, thank you so much for your final comment!

My 21SX makes exceptional images at f/1.4 and f/2 like I have never seen before. Like the creamy smoothness of the Zeiss Biogon on an SWC & Velvia 50, but with substantially greater sharpness and conrast than the SWC. In response to forum members' concern that I was dissing Leica, I wanted to say that whatever other producers are doing, Leica is making a few unparalleled lenses (for me, 21 SX, 35 SX and 50 SX ASPH). I thought this was a digression from the thread, however, so I held back.

The only long M lens that is in this league, for me, is the APO-Telyt. The lens has no DOF at all, so composition is limited-- but the resolution, bokeh and color rendition are fantastic!!

I had a 75/2 Cron and it didn't impress me much. I sold it thinking it was far too close to the 50 Lux ASPH that is my most used lens. A 85/2 would be a different story....

Similar story - I used 75/2 cron a lot on the M8 - but I'm so glad that I picked up a 90 apo-cron before the M9 came out + sold the 75. I now have 28 cron / 50 lux/ 90 cron as a core group and am a happy camper...:)

For me the question is 85Z or 90 cron. I like the 90.

To get an idea of what it can do in entirely incidental photography check

- all taken with the 90 cron ... Edited by chris_tribble

I preferred the Zeiss 85 F2 for portraits over the 75 Cron. It is a fantastic lens though you really can not go wring with either. The Zeiss has warmer/richer color and what appears to be even more shallow DOF. The 75 cron is more neutral. If you like the Zeiss look, the 85 Sonnar has more of it than any other ZM lens!

Great Information guys :) I really appreciate it.

I think I will go with ZM 85/2 , because I like shallow DOF and warmer color :)

btw, last sunday I took a pic of my friend.

I was using M9 + Lux 50 ASPH.

I wish I had ZM 85/2...

here are some of the pictures

L1009741int.jpg

L1009948edit3int.jpg

Andree

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If anyone's interested I could take some shots on my M9 with the Zeiss 85 f/4, which I got for my Zeiss Ikon.

I already shoot the 75 Summicron and like it a lot so couldn't justify the Zeiss f/2 lens, excellent though it no doubt is.

If anyone's interested I could take some shots on my M9 with the Zeiss 85 f/4, which I got for my Zeiss Ikon.

I already shoot the 75 Summicron and like it a lot so couldn't justify the Zeiss f/2 lens, excellent though it no doubt is.

That would be great - seems not many people are using it, or maybe there are, but they're not showing what it can do!

Not really a direct answer to your question, but here are two photos (aperture 2 and 4) taken with the 50 years old Russian Jupiter 9 (85mm/2.0, known as their copy of Sonnar), just for illustration of a smooth and soft bokeh and overall softness. Comparing to this, my Summicron 90 ASPH is cruelly sharp.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like it will be the 85/F2 for me after seeing all these fantastic images. I nearly went for the 75/2 from Leica befoe I read Steve Huff's views on it being a great portrait lens and that is what interests me.

Your images are really nice. I love candid photography but unfortunately here in the UK I am afraid to take some of the type of great pictures I see on here in case I was accused of having ulterior motives.

Keep up the good work and hopefully I will post some images of my new Zeiss when I get it.

There is a practical matter -- the finder frame. Already 90mm lenses take in a considerably wider field than the frame indicates. The 85mm is even wider. Now of course Real Leica Photogs never use the finder -- they use the rangefinder only. But we ordinary guys?

The old man from the Age of the 9cm Elmar

There is a practical matter -- the finder frame. Already 90mm lenses take in a considerably wider field than the frame indicates. The 85mm is even wider. Now of course Real Leica Photogs never use the finder -- they use the rangefinder only. But we ordinary guys?

The old man from the Age of the 9cm Elmar

Considering that not many lenses are true to their designation, I don't think anyone can comment on framing unless they've used these two lenses. The 90mm could actually be a 92mm or 89mm and the Sonnar could be a 88mm so it's negligible. I also remember reading that Erwin said that they were very close and that using the same framelines are acceptable.