OT - Anyone Here Also Shooting With Hasselblad?

mikej

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Somewhat OT - But...

It's worth remembering that a big negative can compensate for lack of sophistication in the camera. As editor of the Ffestiniog Railway Magazine I'm frequently required to scan negatives from mid-20th century box cameras, as these are often the only images available to illustrate a particular article. I'm regularly surprised at the amount of detail that can be extracted from these old negatives with a good modern scanner.

Herewith two examples from my own collection - taken with a Kodak Brownie Model D on Selochrome Pan 620 film. This was a classic box camera with a fixed shutter speed and single aperture lens - probably about f11 - it produced six by eight centimetre negatives - 8 per roll. The photograph of the train entering Harbour Station has been used on a number of occasions by the railway company as it is one of the few taken during the week after the railway reopened and before they'd got a steam engine working again. Its last outing was in the 2004/5 Guide Book to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the reopening. I was 14 when I took it and could only afford the one roll of film for my first visit to the FR...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Simplex 'tractor' and train entering Porthmadog Harbour Station 27 July 1955.

Double Fairlie 'Taliesin' at Boston Lodge Works September 1956

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks John. I trust you now have them, and any others, carefully filed and preserved.

Cheers,

Erl

Yes - these and the collections of several other people who were wielding box (and better) cameras around Porthmadog when we were getting the Ffestiniog Railway going again in the mid and late 1950s. The FR is lucky in having a very dedicated archivist in the form of a retired Professor of Librarianship from The University of Wales, Aberystwyth (Prof. Patricia Layzell Ward - previously at Curtin University in Perth, WA). She was herself a volunteer during the reopening period on the FR, so knows what needs to be kept. A lot of stuff has already gone to the Gwynedd County Archives in Caernarfon for conservation and storage.

Hi Mike. Yes, I shoot Hasselblad V series equipment and have done for years.

6x6 is my preferred format although I love the convenience of my Leica M7 outfit.

I use 501CM and 503CW bodies with 50,60,80,120,150,180,250mm and 1.4Xe lenses. 60% of my shooting is 6x6. I also shoot LF and XPan.

If you would like to know some details on Hasselblad gear and how I find it in use as well as details on the SUPERB Zeiss optics, go to my web site and see the essays I have there in the Articles, Help topics, and About sections. In the galleries you will also see many of my Hasselblad images. Photography of Simon Galbally - f8Vision: Welcome to f8Vision

If you need more help you can email me through my web site.

And in short, shooting Hasselblad 6x6 is a WONDERFUL experience and the frames will blow you away - to my eyes NOTHING beats a Hasselblad shot positive frame.

Erl - that is a stunning image.

Mike - I have owned 2 Hassy's at different points of time - and sold both at different times for Leica gear. I love using them, and when I shot more weddings and stuff they got alot of use. In my case, I shoot film for my personal and freelance work - and the Hasselblads tended to sit in my bag for lack of use, as I love shooting with the M system. But I keep seeing the prices drop and really think about getting back into that system again. The images posted here are one reason why. The square format is great - once you get used to it.

And I have always lusted after an SWC.....

Hi, I have also been wondering for a while if I should try a Hasselblad. I love the square format, the details that the big film offers. But most of all, I love the waist finder when shooting portraits. The finder lets me keep the eye-contact with the model, something is happening to people when you hide yourself behind a camera/lens.

Can anyone tell if there is a forum like the Leica-forum for Hasselblad users?

The Hasselblad will be a supplement to my Leica gear wish I have no intension to stop using.

I have sort of a love-hate thing going on with Hasselblad cameras!

• I like the compact size and rugged construction.

• I don't care for the weight.

• The 38mm Biogon and 50 f/2.8 Distagon are favorites of mine.

• If you thought a big pro SLR + fat lens was conspicuous and caused people to run for cover, try a Hasselblad!

• No shift/tilt capabilties though, except by the addition of an excrutiatingly expensive add-on.

• No special macro abilties (versus Rollei SL66 or a view camera)

• Many lenses have mechanical DOF indicators and coupled shutter and aperture controls which I learned to like.

• Many lens markings are simply painted on and they can and do rub off with use.

• It appears that lovely focal plane lenses like the 110/2 don't have a digital future.

• A full-frame fisheye lens + square format is really, really neat, and you can sometimes score the lens at a not-so-bad price.

• A 4x5 outfit can sometimes weigh less! Strangely, people do not seem threatened by view cameras, maybe because it seems somehow quaint. Ditto with the Fuji 6x9 which must simply look like an oversized movie prop.

I sold off my Hasselblad gear (lots of it) and I don't really miss it. I could conceivably have another go at it with a 503CWD someday, but it'll be up against 4x5 scanning backs which are becoming much more affordable too.

Hello, Simon - Thanks much for your website link - some great advice on getting into MF.

Thanks, Dan, for your feedback also.

This is a surprising thread - I didn't appreciate how many Leica users also were shooting MF.

Cheers,

Mike

I have two Hasselblads, both 500 C/M, and four of the old Zeiss "C" lenses, plus all the usual magazines, filters, hoods and so on. For my kind of photography, which is basically landscape, architecture, and still life, the Hasselblads are just gorgeous. And it shouldn't really come as a surprise that many Leica photographers also have Hasselblad gear - after all, if Leica is the best 35mm kit around, with the very finest lenses in that format, then Hasselblad and Zeiss are also at the top of their tree in 6x6cm photography. As far as Internet forums go, there is quite a lively Hasselblad section on Photo.net, but I am afraid it is not half as much fun as this place. So now you know why I'm still hanging around here :)

John

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, all - I purchased a new 501CM kit - now I just have to learn how to unload 120 film!

Cheers,

Mike

Make sure you load the 120 film round the right way.

I borrowed my Dad's Bronica to take on holiday in Brittany once. I shot a whole roll onto the paper backing...

:o

Those would have been some of the best pictures I'd ever taken, of course :)

Thanks, Steve & Andy. Andy, you were right - I had a 50%/50% chance on my first roll and I shot paper. No wonder I couldn't figure out the sealing of the roll with the "exposed" tab at the end. :-)

Mike

Ah! That reminds me of my very first time in my very first "darkroom" (my bedroom!). Without a safe light, I printed all my prints through the paper backing. In "the old days" Kodak packed their printing papers 'emulsion to emulsion'. So when the first print was backwards, I reasoned that I had exposed through the paper back of the print. Naturally, I flipped the next paper sheet and got the same result. Ah! (I thought). Obviously I had also flipped the first one without realizing. So the next one was not flipped. As you can imagine the progress, it took me awhile to reason the packing style.:confused: Funnily, I kept those prints. Still have them somewhere. Must be over 50 years old now.

Back to reality. Shot some nice pics on the Blad today. Let's see if I can get the scan right way round. LOL.:D

Cheers,

Erl

Just realized that since I now own a Leica of my own I should "own up" to my MF setup -- I took advantage of the continuing fall in prices to trade my old Bronica SQ-A in a Hasselblad 503CW + 50mm FLE and an 80mm CFE -- I still marvel at the quality of the negatives.

I think that my extremely favorable impression of the Zeiss glass is what led me to Leica (not to mention my new-found interest in fully mechanical cameras -- I also own a Rolleiflex)

JT