M9 Color Management

M9BHoop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I recently got my hands on an M9 and have been enjoying playing around with it for the past few hours. However, I've noticed in the menu setting that the following options are grayed out w/ the following settings.

Sharpening - Standard

Color Saturation- Standard

Contrast- Standard

Color Management - sRGB

Why does this occur? I would love incorporate the M9 into my work flow. However, I would like to know how to set the color space to Adobe RGB and unlock the other options.

Additionally, I'm shooting in dng uncompressed.

Thanks.

Edited by M9BHoop

When the file type is .dng (raw), the sharpening, saturation, etc. are handed in post processing. Select .jpg, the processing occurs in camera, and these functions will be available. Other can give the more complicated explanation, but it is rather simple.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would be nice, however, to be able to set the color saturation to "black + white" when shooting DNG only in order to get a B&W preview in the embedded jpg without effecting the raw file. I hate shooting DNG + jpg (and then throwing out the jpgs) just to get the B&W preview.

Let's hope that's included in the next firmware.

Stan

I would much prefer that these extraneous entries for JPEG were removed when you select DNG only (as you should to maximinse battery life) to create an even simpler camera. As they say in Frimley, "What the eye can't see, the heart won't grieve over".

I agree, but then there'd be people asking where the menu options had disappeared to.

Conventional wisdom in user interface design mandates that menus should be consistent; when a menu item or option is unavailable in some situation it should still be displayed, but greyed-out. For example, Apple has required this behaviour in its Human Interface Guidelines since the early days of the Macintosh.