Help! Elmarit-M 135mm/2,8 Filter Size

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a 135mm version 2, I think it is a version 2 according to the design and it had a goggle adjustment done to fix the vertical alignment problem. It is made in Canada. I am trying to figure out what is the filter size for this lens and the sources are conflicting. I ended up buying a E55 because the barrel says "Canada 55" and the design looks very much like a version 2. My Leica E55 UV IR cut filter would not screw in and I hope someone could help me identify the right filter size. Please help if you have experience with this lens and/or know anything about it. Thank you all in advance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you for the quick reply. I considered the Series Type VII as well, but saw that it doesn't look like it will fit and read that version 2 should be E55. I will most likely try the Series filter as that might be the only other option. Do you or anyone know if that filter will interfere with the built-in hood and front cap? Any other feedback is appreciated.

Hi

The series filter and the series ring are both low profile and do not interfere

You will need to get a ring as well as the filter - the ring has a five digit code and is available 2nd hand. Think you can get pola filters as well.

Noel

Hi

The series filter and the series ring are both low profile and do not interfere

You will need to get a ring as well as the filter - the ring has a five digit code and is available 2nd hand. Think you can get pola filters as well.

Noel

Just to complete, the above ring has code 14161R (it was supplied with the lens, originally... easy to be lost). Easily available on ebay etc...

But, given that you already bought an E55,can be a pity not to use it... and there is an alternative : the thread mount on the Elmarit front is 54mm (it accomodates the 14161), and I think that an adapter ring to mount a E55 filter can be found somewhere (not in B+W catalog, but I seem to have seen something on ebay, from a quick search...) . I'm almost sure that an E55 mounted this way does not anyway interfere with the hood.

Just to complete, the above ring has code 14161R (it was supplied with the lens, originally... easy to be lost). Easily available on ebay etc...

But, given that you already bought an E55,can be a pity not to use it... and there is an alternative : the thread mount on the Elmarit front is 54mm (it accomodates the 14161), and I think that an adapter ring to mount a E55 filter can be found somewhere (not in B+W catalog, but I seem to have seen something on ebay, from a quick search...) . I'm almost sure that an E55 mounted this way does not anyway interfere with the hood.

Hi

Luigi is correct you can get a step ring from series VII to 55mm, it should not interfere, if you use deep profile filters, e.g. a pola, they will reduce the travel of the cap on the hood, not a real problem, dont telescope the hood fully.

Noel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Luigi and Xmas for the great information. I am very happy to hear that there are alternatives and I do hate to not use the E55. I will look around for the Series VII to E55 adapter to see how well it works and hopefully it will save me trouble and keep the E55.

Again, many thanks to all of you. Very greatful for such great forums.

There are two versions of this edition of this lens, one for M the other for R. The series VII retaining ring is the same for both. I have the M lens with the R retaining ring, and it works perfectly.

On a side note, I have both the Visoflex III and Bellows II adapters, a most versatile lens.

The ser 7 retaing ring lives on my 135 and there is no interference.

Third party one are bigger and will cause problems.

Thank you for the information. I am getting a step up/down ring made by Heliopan. I hope that works fine. What kind of problems will I have if I used 3rd-party ones?

Thank you for the information. I am getting a step up/down ring made by Heliopan. I hope that works fine. What kind of problems will I have if I used 3rd-party ones?

If it's this Heliopan code :

190 55 x 0,75 54 x 0,75

I think is right, and thinkYou'll have not problem with the hood.

If it's this Heliopan code :

190 55 x 0,75 54 x 0,75

I think is right, and thinkYou'll have not problem with the hood.

Yes, that is the exact one I got. The description on Amazon is "Heliopan 190 Adapter 55/54 - Heliopan 700190". It should be here in a week or two at most. I will test it out and let everyone know how it went.

Keep the feedback going if anyone has additional comments or information. I hope this thread is appropriate. Thanks!

Well mine (a type I) has a bad trait shooting into low sun, it does very well for a single coated lens when the sun is in frame, but can misbehave (flare) badly when just out of frame.

If you are shooting into Fresnels or profiles, move about until you are familiar with the (your) lens.

Noel

Thanks again for everyone who contributed to my scream for help. I kept the Lecia E55 UV/IR cut filter, bought a Heliopan 190 55 x 0,75 54 x 0,75 ring, and it arrived today. I attached the filter to the ring, put it on the lens, took two shots using f/2.8 and f/4.0 and both look clean with no problems. I am a happy man.

• 12 years later...
43 minutes ago, George Stoichev said:

I found in eBay nice Elmarit M 135mm 2.8 

but it doesn’t have filter. From all I read above I didn’t understand what is the filter I need for this lens?

As above - either Series VII, or if second version from #2,788,927 a E55. That  said, Leica numbering is notoriously loose, so if you are around change point I would check carefully.

15 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

I found in eBay nice Elmarit M 135mm 2.8 

but it doesn’t have filter. From all I read above I didn’t understand what is the filter I need for this lens?

I bet that the lens has retaining ring 14161 ( VII like this one )  attached.

In this case use Series VII filters or with luck E49 filters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

I requested the serial and it is

22899….

does it mean ring 14161?

Ask the seller, 14161 ring has the marked "14161" and "VII".

This ring can be tricky to unscrew, though, just grab ONLY one side to unscrew.

3 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

I requested the serial and it is

22899….

does it mean ring 14161?

In case you want to use it regularly, consider that the last version (*) - new optical cell - is definitely better, at least for my experience.

(*) finely knurled focus ring, single-cast goggle unit, single-piece hood, E55 

Edited by luigi bertolotti