Fish...

MrEd

Ed,

nice capture of an interesting scene. Some of the highlights, on the notice boards for instance, seem a little blown on my monitor. Perhaps the camera has taken too much notice of the general darkness of the shopfront. I guess that's an issue with digital sensors, they don't have the latitude of B&W film, so it's hard to recover from "issues".

• Like 1

As I've said many a time, I love a good story and this tells a good story.

I hadn't noticed the blown areas until I read jmr's post.

Nevertheless nice work.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi John,

The answer to your question is yes, sometimes it's unavoidable to have blown highlights, The good news is it doesn't happen when I shoot RAW files. It only happens on JPEG mode.

When we talk about "general darkness" it is good to remember that it's normal in B&W, otherwise we'll have bland grayish dull images.

Thanks.

Ed. :cool:

Hi Daniel,

Thanks, I guess I was typing when you posted. My previous comment explains it.

I appreciate you taking time to look and comment. Thanks.

Ed. :cool:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my monitor, the white board, the poster to the left of the door and the sidewalk are blown out. Cropping to just below the pad on which the bike sits directs more attention to the subject. It does tell a good story. Makes me want a salmon lunch. ;-)

Ed

I think this is a great shot. You seem to be finding your corner of the photographic world where you can create a distinctive style and interesting themes. I wouldn't worry overmuch about the highlights issue - this is just one of those things that seems to be part and parcel of digital B/W. I have exactly the same problem all the time, and really miss the latitude of film in the highlight areas. One thing you could try is a little selective burning-in of the poster highlights with PhotoShop, just to see if you can recover detail - even if you don't, you can bring them down to say 245 - 250 for a very light grey rather than dead white (leaving some highlights elsewhere at 255, of course).

John