"Lens: Uncoded" for Noctilux f/0.95 on M9

numair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried to set to manual / attach lens / remove / etc trick, but it didn't work. I am going to visit a local Leica dealer and try to see if other coded lenses result in the same problem. Leica never replied to my email, by the way -- so much for customer service!

... I found this thread while searching, which isn't too promising:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/103304-m9-problem-auto-lens-detection.html

I'm sure you also checked the other thread mentioned at http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/109104-leica-m9-50mm-lux-help.html. But from your description, I don't think your camera has the problem as Michael's--have you tried shifting the frame-preview lever to see if it temporarily corrects the problem?

Still sounds to me as if it's in the diodes and their circuitry, but as you said, the codes for the 50/0.95 and the 35/1.4 aren't that similar. :confused:

Do keep us posted as you get this straightened out.

Good luck!

Edited by ho_co

Leica never replied to my email, by the way -- so much for customer service!

They can be very slow with email. Ring them - they are much more receptive and helpful.

If it were my $10k lens/ $7k body then I'd be on speed dial to both my dealer & Leica with lots of swear words. It might be a trivial adjustment issue but they should be bending over backwards to help you.

• 2 months later...

Hello. I am new to this site and have already learned a lot reading some of the postings.

I have an M9, a few M6's and a good number of lenses. Most my lenses are a few years old, dating pre-M8.

I have the same problem with the UNCODED thing.

What is surprising to me is that first week i received my M9, i took a boat tour of chicago architecture without even programming the code of my lens (35 mm aspherical f1.4), took gorgeous pictures...now all my pictures are way over exposed, etc...and it is not much sunnier than when i took my boat tour pictures.

Looking at the manual entry of the codes, i note that there are two codes for my lens...no idea which one is the correct one for my lens. (the latest and greatest 35mm came to market after i bought my M9...so that can not be it)....How would I know which code is the right one?

Looking forward to learning more from you and hopefully contributing some too in due time.

Thanks...Mehran (Chicago)...

Welcome! There are two pre-current 35mm summilux lenses with an asphire. If you notice in the lens coding menu, one is identified as ASPHERICAL (11873) and one as ASPH. (11874). Looking at what is written on the front of the lens will correspond to which you should select in the menu. The lenses labeled ASPHERICAL were made from 1990-1994, and those marked ASPH. from 1994 until this year.

your LED sensor on M9 is most likely faulty

I switch from manual to auto and change different lenses and there is no problem with Nocti or other lenses

But first I would try reflashing firmware just in case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I actually faced this issue before, not with the Noctilux 50mm f/0.95, but with a coded adapter. My camera which was an M8 then would not detect the 35/135 adapter, but would recognize about 50 other lenses. When I put the adapter on a friend's camera, it would be detected without any issue. I experimented with it and it would work perfectly as long as it was tuned in the unmounted position, but it meant the lens could easily fall off. In the end, it was clearly a mechanical issue.

No issue with the M8.2 which I had with the same adapter and certainly no issue with the M9 now.