"Lens: Uncoded" for Noctilux f/0.95 on M9

numair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, just got a brand-new Noctilux f/0.95 for my M9... I set the lens detection to "Auto", and yet I find that when I press "Info" it shows the lens listed as "Uncoded." As this lens is obviously coded, what could be wrong here? I've actually never used a coded lens on my M9 before (have a collection of older lenses), so perhaps there's something going on with my camera body? Looking forward to any advice / suggestions you guys might have.

forgive me if this is stupid- but just double check that you pressed set when you selected lens coding. I sometimes think I have changed ISO when I havn't and this is always the reason. You are probably not so challenged.

And it is doubtful- but have a look at the little red strip on the camera lens mount to see if there is any dirt/marks on it that may be interfering with the signal.

Thanks for the reply, jaques -- checked both of these things, and all seemed to be well.. I should note that the photos that come out of the camera / lens are totally fine, and auto ISO seems to be working, but... yeah, can't figure out why it says "Uncoded." Surely someone else has had this issue?

Check that you have the latest firmware update.

Apart from that, I've had the same experience with a Noctilux 0.95 with the new software but wasn't able to check it after as I had just loaned the lens - why I have just been in mystery about it since.

Perhaps mail cs@leica-camera.com (Customer Service) as they may have an advice for it.

Okay, this is weird. If I turn the lens, without taking it completely off the body, at about 15 degrees (in the direction you'd turn the lens to take it off) the Info screen shows "35 f/1.4" ... Which makes no sense....

Either there's something wrong with the lens coding, or something wrong with the way it's hitting the camera. Having gone through the work necessary to obtain an M9 and a f/0.95 Nocti, I am hoping I won't have to send them in for this pesky reason.

If things show up as "Uncoded," will it affect the performance of the lens at all?

Thorsten, your advice about emailing Leica customer service is much appreciated -- looks like I'll have to do this. If anyone has any experiences like this, please let me know... I found this thread while searching, which isn't too promising:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/103304-m9-problem-auto-lens-detection.html

Also, I will note that I have the absolute latest firmware. Perhaps this isn't a good thing, but judging from the nature of the manner in which the problem presents itself, this isn't a software issue...

I cleaned everything, didn't help... And from what I can see visually, the sensor is in perfect condition. The camera itself is only 2 months old, and hasn't seen any rough conditions...

Do you guys think shooting with the lens in "uncoded" mode is going to be a big deal?

Given it's a 50mm, and a modern design, I'd say no big deal.

However, I do not own this lens and can't tell how much of its target performance is down to software correction. Probably very little, if any. But still, I would be somewhat bothered that I may not be getting optimal results from such an expensive glass...;)

You will certainly miss the Exif info, though. But since you indicated that you use old, uncoded lenses, I guess this shouldn't bother you too much.

A second thought: you mentioned that "Auto" lens recognition doesn't work. What about setting the lens code manually? This should work and you would then be able to assess whether you see a difference.

Edited by Ecar

The lens is coded correctly... I suppose I'll set it manually to the 50 f/1 for now, until I hear from Leica. My thinking is that the problem is with the M9 body -- I'll go to a Leica dealer sometime soon and see if other coded lenses have the same issue.

Not sure about using the Nocti f/1 code. This is an older Mandler design, with a fair amount of "native" vignetting. You may be over-correcting. If it were me, I'd leave it uncoded or try the Lux 50/1.4 code (this one you can set manually and see which one you like best). Just my 2c.

Yesterday I was trying out a NOS 75 Summilux at a store, and the lens brought up the 28/90mm framelines on my M9. I also had to "back it off" in the direction of unmounting to get the right lines. (My personal 75 cron brought up the correct lines, after I checked in panic thinking maybe my camera had developed a sticky frameline mechanism!)

That's a mechnical issue, not electronic - but it just goes to show that occasionally lenses get through QC with imperfections.

I think it is your lens that is slightly out of whack, not your camera - unless you have similar problems with other lenses on your body.

As to why backing your Nocti off a bit made it self-identify as a 35 'Lux - the "unmounting" by 15 degrees would have released pressure on the internal automatic frameline lever, setting it to the default (no lens mounted) position, which happens to be the 35/135 framelines.

And also changed the position of the black and white 6-bit dots on the lens by 15 degrees. I don't know what the coding pattern on the Nocti is, but presumably with the dots out of alignment, they (plus the silver lens mount material, which would be read as "white") just happened to line up with the camera's sensors to look like the 35 'lux pattern.

A coincidence of how much you had twisted the lens. The camera sensed "35 framelines" and a 6-bit pattern that seemed to be the 35 'lux pattern.

"There isn't a menu option to set it to the 50 f/0.95 ... Just one for the 50 f/1. I wonder why..."

Because Leica has never made an f/0.95 Noctilux without 6-bit coding. The lens menu is primarily designed for use with lenses that were produced in uncoded (pre M8) versions - although it is not totally consistent in that regard (it includes the early M8 era always-coded 16-18-21 and 28 f/2.8 - but not the later always-coded 21/24 f/1.4, Nocti .95, and 18)

Edited by adan

adan, Ecar, excellent advice. I am not sure what the difference is, but I do seem to like the photos better when I leave it set as uncoded... And I really hate the idea that I'll probably have to send one of these things back for repair.

Leica hasn't responded to my email yet, so we shall see... Are they usually leisurely with their response times?

air--

Have you checked to be sure all the sensor LEDs are working? (Take a picture of it with an IR-sensitive camera. Mark Norton's examples have been published here a couple times.) Maybe your discovery that it reads the 35 Summilux can help you there. Compare the two lens codes and see how they line up. There was at least one case on the forum of an M9 not all of whose LEDs were working.

You said "the photos that come out of the camera / lens are totally fine." Does that include the EXIF data?

Do you get the same "Lens: Uncoded" message with your uncoded lenses when the camera is set to Auto Detect? Or is that only with the f/0.95?

Camera set to "Lens: Manual", attach coded lens, enter menu, set lens to "Lens: Auto"—result: "Lens: Uncoded".

Remove lens, re-attach it—result: lens properly recognized in "Lens: Auto" mode.

It seems the camera won't recognize a coded lens that is already attached when the menu setting gets switched from "Lens: Manual" to "Lens: Auto". It's better to switch the menu setting first, then attach the coded lens.

An issue for the next firmware update I guess ...

I do not have this problem with my M9 and Nocti/0.95.

It seems clear that the sensor on the mount cannot read the code,

Did you clean the code-sensor (on the body) and the code on the lens and retry?

I would drive to the nearest Leica store and try mounting another coded lens. See if your body can pick up codes from other lenses?

If not, you have to send the body in.

EXIF data is not crucial for basic functionalities but they are good reference data when you are looking back.