M8 Firmware ?

Guest Chris M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excuse my curiosity..

Do you own any digital Leica? (I don't mean Panasonic)

Well, I've owned an M8 since the beginning of 2007, so I think I have a reasonable idea of its strengths and weaknesses. Regardless of any non existent major firmware releases it's been the most fantastic camera I've ever used - in fact I was using it today, 150 frames without any issues what so ever. Since buying it I have sold more or less all of my SLR equipment - including a few dSLRs. The only camera I can imagine replacing it is an M9.

I also own an M6 and have owned an M2, M3, a Minilux, an SL, an R4S and an R8. They of course were film cameras, but I hope it helps to illustrate how much I like Leica products.

Now, what Leica products do _you_ own?

Edited by stunsworth

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but you have to face facts, the chances of their being a major upgrade to the M8 is nil. You might want that upgrade, but it isn't going to happen, and no amount of saying "I want" is going to change that.

Was not possible to locate the word "i want" in any of the posts.Interesting definite prediction.Maybe is what you "want".

MP,M8,M6,R8,R4s,R9,DIGILUX2 (two of them),DLux 4,CLux 1,Dlux 2,CM etc,etc,etc etc,tested M9 for many days and returned.Some of them.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

Angelos, again you are misunderstanding what I meant.

Sometimes when someone's position on a subject is summarised - as I did with yours - words are used that were not written by the original poster. The act of summarising means that a lot of words are replace by fewer. In your case I think the phrase "I want" sums up your posts on this thread IMHO.

Excuse my curiosity..

Would you like to drive an unsafe car? Would you like to use a dishwasher which is unsafe?

Are deceiving advertisments Ok with you?

You really have an issue with this, don't you? I spelled out your options pages ago; sue or shut up. Take responsibility for your own decisions and stop blaming others.

Excuse my curiosity..

Would you like to drive an unsafe car? Would you like to use a dishwasher which is unsafe?

Are deceiving advertisments Ok with you?

Steve has replied to your post now. Have you read it? Don't you feel an idiot?

A few knickers getting in a twist on this thread.

I have to declare that I too expect a firmware update for the M8.

My reasons are very simple; I purchased a premium product at a premium price from a company that promised a great deal of the camera and that it would be supported perpetually - I fell for this hook, line and sinker. So if there is anything further that can be done to enhance the use of my M8 then bring it forth with all speed...

Now, things change and new management happens and then the new model appears... That's OK though because the camera that I paid a small fortune for is a Leica. And Leica isn't like most other camera manufacturers who discontinue and abandon models (and customers with support issues) on a daily basis...

And then there is, if I remember correctly, some email evidence floating around that Leica had planned to release said firmware in May. OK so May is gone and forgotten and just maybe, unbeknown to all of us mere customers, Leica have quietly ditched all plans for such a thing and are hoping that we M8 owners will just quietly fade away or buy M9's.

If I hadn't bought the M8 that last option would probably be available to me. However, I am a (generally) happy owner of an M8 and I expect Leica to live up to the expectations that sold me one in the first place.

Some of the people on this thread seem to suffer from a selective memory defect borne out of some kind of crazed notion that Leica Camera can do no wrong - whatever turns you on I guess.

To all of those people who did just what Leica hoped they would, that is, rushed out and bought M9's before quietly putting the M8 thing down to "experience", just remember, this could be you when the M10 comes out...

If that turns out to be the case then maybe Leica is just like all the rest.

I would like to think not.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon Lister Photographer