M8 Firmware ?

Guest Chris M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since you no longer own the camera, why on earth would you post this? The camera works perfectly well with the current firmware. I don't need an update and no one needs you picking at this. Have a nice day.

dearest john that is completely not true,there are thousands of M8 owners expecting the new firmware or hardware corrections,had been very long threads about the subject with very specific descriptions of what should be corrected and why,unfortunately -like in all forums-a team tried to ridicule the subject and all serious photographers stop writing,if you are happy from the current firmware you can keep it for ever is not mandatory to correct the issues in your M8 if you dont want ,but others do and expect it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Angelos, I agree with you completely. It is hard to find anything wrong with the "thinking" of those of us who have been loyally using Leica/Leitz products from the 1950's and do wish that Leica would incorporate some improvements in the M8. :)ron

I remember questions about whether the "quick load" system for the M4 was going really work or not. Complaints about the M5. Complaints about the M4-2 (country of origin). While all the complainers are sitting around complaining about something and WAITING for a new whatzzit, I'm out making photographs with what's available. At the end of the day what we're trying to do (I thought) was make pictures. The most important feature about any camera is that it's with you and available to make photographs.

I remember questions about whether the "quick load" system for the M4 was going really work or not. Complaints about the M5. Complaints about the M4-2 (country of origin). While all the complainers are sitting around complaining about something and WAITING for a new whatzzit, I'm out making photographs with what's available. At the end of the day what we're trying to do (I thought) was make pictures. The most important feature about any camera is that it's with you and available to make photographs.

all people do exactly the same ,obviously.If you see any complainers or any who is waiting let us know.

Edited by Angelos Viskadourakis

I am not waiting for any firmware for my M8 it is fine as it is.

good for you,but what is your point ? Even the manufacturer has a different approach.I recommend when the firmware will come those they are happy and see everything fine will steer away,is only different needs of humans that made progress possible the last 6000- or many more -years.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If they produce new firmware I will install it immediately - I no problems with progress even if it gives me options that I do not want or need (like discrete mode on the M8 - complete waste of time). But a firmware upgrade is not a sine qua non to maintain my happiness with the current M8.

My FM2 never had a firmware update, nor did my F3, Olympus XA or my M2.

Being able to upgrade stuff that you have already bought via firmware is a recent development and is "more" than I expect.

This is what I feel, if someone else feels differently that is fine but do not expect me to join in with the "general dissatisfaction".

Leica, as a company catering high-end market, must keep its promises.

Sorry, that's just arrant nonsense. Leica did not force you to buy the M8 and they can hardly be held responsible for your unfortunate tendency to take marketing puff as gospel.

Learn to be a little less gullible and move on, eh?

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill

No - but there used to be hacked Canon firmware and it was quite good.

These hacks made use of a backdoor left open by Canon (not with the intention of encouraging hackers, obviously), allowing extensions/modifications of the installed firmware to be loaded dynamically. This way the firmware is never altered, making it impossible to “brick” the camera. On the other hand, the range of modifications was limited; one could activate features deliberately blocked by the vendor, but not apply any radical changes, fix serious bugs etc.. No other vendor has created a similarly safe environment for hackers and I bet no one will.

Edited by mjh

it is so so strange that when the issue of the M8 evolution comes in discussion always the same few react with exactly the same repetitive and reactionary comments,it is very strange.Comments like "no body force you","complainers","it was said but it was just marketing","winners", surprise me very much and i cannot relate them to a photographic community,any way very strange and very alien almost sad.

Bottom line the evolution is needed is in depth discussed in previous similar threads and is expected.

"you can fool some people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time" lyrics from ASWAD.

very strange and very alien almost sad.

What’s truly sad is that some people actually believe the firmware is holding them back from shooting great pictures with their M8. If you fail when using the current version of the firmware, don’t expect any more success with the next.

it is so so strange that when the issue of the M8 evolution <snip> the evolution is needed is in depth discussed in previous threads and is expected.
And what exactly is reactionary about being happy with what I have? Maybe I will buy a M9 or a M10 sometime and it probably will be better than my current M8 and will be an evolutionary improvement, or maybe even a radical improvement. I will buy it when I need it. I expect nothing (more).

What’s truly sad is that some people actually believe the firmware is holding them back from shooting great pictures with their M8. If you fail when using the current version of the firmware, don’t expect any more success with the next.

do you actualy know someone who believe something like that???????????????

And what exactly is reactionary about being happy with what I have? Maybe I will buy a M9 or a M10 sometime and it probably will be better than my current M8 and will be an evolutionary improvement, or maybe even a radical improvement. I will buy it when I need it. I expect nothing (more).

expecting nothing is a very zen aproach but also to reset things in a balance and harmonious order with personal effort is even more.

Sorry, that's just arrant nonsense. Leica did not force you to buy the M8 and they can hardly be held responsible for your unfortunate tendency to take marketing puff as gospel.

Learn to be a little less gullible and move on, eh?

Regards,

Bill

No offense, but what you said makes sense to you only.

That is not how business supposed to be done.

Just want to refresh your memory or provide "valuable" information if you have not had a chance to read this before.

With the introduction of a perpetual upgrade program, every LEICA M8 will forever be a state-of-the-art digital camera. Today’s and tomorrow’s users will always be able to incorporate the latest refinements and developments in handling ease and technology. It is our aim to secure your investment in the LEICA M8 for the future. “While other digital cameras quickly become outdated and are replaced by newer models, our new concept extends the value retention and resistance to obsolescence embodied in the Leica ethos. Over time, we will gradually offer new product features and developments as upgrade options,” declares Steven K. Lee, CEO of Leica Camera AG. "Our customers can therefore still invest in the photographic tools they need without worrying that they will miss out on improvements and technological developments alo ng the way.

This information will be presented during the PMA fair in Las Vegas, beginning January 31st.

What does the first upgrade kit include?

• Scratch-proof sapphire glass cover for the LCD monitor.

• Noise-optimized shutter with a fastest speed of 1/4000s.

• If so desired, the camera will be picked up at your home and sent directly back to you, without any intermediary stage in the process.

• Health-check and complete adjustment of the camera, testing all its functions.

• Installation of the newest relevant firmware.

• New factory warranty of two years covering the same conditions as for a new camera.

Firmware update 1.201 available

In keeping with the overall sustainability of the concept of the rangefinder camera system, Leica Camera AG is now offering all LEICA M8 users an updated version of the camera firmware, which can be downloaded free of charge from Friday, February 1st from our website. Among other things, the new firmware version contains new, substantially improved automatic white balance algorithms for natural color rendering in nearly all light conditions. We will send you special information via e-mail which contains a direct link as soon as we post the firmware update on our website.

How do I get the upgrade for my M8?

• This offer applies exclusively to all registered M8 users.

• We will inform you shortly via e-mail when the website is updated with detailed information about the new M8 upgrade program, and will also inform you as soon as possible how to purchase the first upgrade certificates.

• The fact that you are registered as a M8 owner will give you guaranteed access to an exclusive online area where you will be able to purchase your upgrade certificate.

• Purchasing the upgrade certificates will be possible as of March 2008 – the actual upgrading will commence as of August 2008.

• The upgrades will be fullfiled in the same order as the upgrade certificates were purchased. It is therefore advisable to acquire the certificate as quickly as possible.

We would feel very honored if you would be amongst the first to participate in our new program for the lifelong value retention of your M8.

Yours Sincerely,

The Leica internet team

... I will buy it when I need it. I expect nothing (more).

Quite. A poor workman blames their tools, never taking the time to master one before, magpie-like, moving on to the next shiny thing.

Sadly, in today's selfish, ill-mannered, ill-tempered, impatient, immature society, it is simply not fashionable to either hold a contrary opinion or to dare to express satisfaction in what you have.

Regards,

Bill

oooooopps again the same movie????????with the same characters??????

please someone explain why those they dont want/need/expect anything for M8 take so much effort and time to stop those they like to discuss it

so strange......................................and why the only way they use is to insult the others...........so sad..........

Just want to refresh your memory or provide "valuable" information if you have not had a chance to read this before.

Do you seriously think I was unaware of this...?

I can tell you are being earnest, so I shall be serious in return. If you think that Leica misled you, then sue them. Even better, join that class action that has been running all this time.

Oh, wait...

There is no class action.

There is no case.

Google "invitation to treat" and read what you find. Even better, Google Carlill vs The Carbolic Smokeball Company. Read and understand. Leica has no case to answer because what it said was "mere puff". No contract was formed with you, or anyone else.

We have been here many times before.

You chose to buy an M8.

You exercised your own free will.

You chose to believe mere puff.

Learn the lesson. Move on.

Regards,

Bill

oooooopps again the same movie????????with the same characters??????

please someone explain why those they dont want/need/expect anything for M8 take so much effort and time to stop those they like to discuss it

so strange......................................

Angelos, for all I care you can discuss the M8 and it's foibles, firmware and faults until the cows come home. What I have an issue with is those repeating the same old nonsense about Leica's actions in this matter.

To them I say "put up or shut up".

Regards,

Bill

as stated previously no-one (or at least I don't) wants to stop discussion on anything, but I object to statements that "everyone in their right mind wants or demands or has the right to xxxx improvement of the Myyy" I do not want or expect this so this demand is not as universal as is claimed (by you a.o.)