Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Idiot's questions! I wondered if anyone can help me? Whenever I try upload photos from my D- Lux 4 onto my Macbook Pro (via iphoto) there are certain photos that get left behind in my camera. No matter what I try I cannot upload all my pictures. Further can someone tell me how to delete already uploaded photos from my camera's memory card?

Thanks in advance . . .

Welcome to the forum

Are you using a card reader?

You can delete the whole card by formatting it in the camera - this is good practice every time you insert a card. Don't format it on the Mac.

Thanks all (and also for the welcome) - as you'll gather I'm new to digital AND not disciplined when it comes to reading instruction books! To take your answers in order - 1. first thank you for the 'formatting' (of the memory disk) info that's now clear. 2. I can't see (but that's no guarantee) how they could already have filenames in my computer is there a way of checking in so far as what their filenames could be in the camera? 3. How do I know if they are the "raw" versions? 4. I'm not sure how to copy the photos into a separate file when I can't seem to access them on connecting the camera (vis USB) to the Mac. I can only verify they are on the memory card from the LCD screen. Thanks again

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When you open Image Capture, you can easily tell it where you want to store the images you want to transfer via the drop down menu at the bottom. See below.

You can also set the program that you wish to open automatically every time you insert a card into your reader or connect your camera (also see below)

You can tell which ones are RAW and which ones jpg just by looking at how big they are and what the extension says.

It is best practice, btw, never to connect your camera via USB. Always use a dedicated card reader.

Edited by andybarton

Yesterday in this thread Andy wrote :

It is best practice, btw, never to connect your camera via USB. Always use a dedicated card reader.

I usually connect my D-Lux 4via USB to my Mac Mini simply for convenience .. although I do have a Sandisk Card Reader/Writer bought primarily to handle firmwear updates.

Why best practice to use the reader?

Plugging and unplugging cables stresses the connector in the camera and can lead to the need for early repairs, for one thing.

For a lot of us it's much more convenient just to have a single card reader into which we can plug multiple cards for transfer. Quicker than plugging a cable to one camera, setting that camera to output, dumping files, unplugging cable and starting over again with another camera.