Dead LINE of pixels

ryley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(I'll resist posting the obscenities that flew out of my mouth when I first noticed this.)

:mad:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/members/62190-albums3992-picture3974.jpg

and a 100% crop screen shot (with image specs) in aperture here...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/members/62190-albums3992-picture3975.jpg

The harsh red line on the left is consistent in other images I've shot, but here you can see a second line of seemingly 'dead pixels' just to the right of it. (Not to mention the ugly horizontal lines all the way through the image).

My M8 has proved to be pretty awful at any ISO above 320 in low light, but is this example consistent with how other M8's render in the same circumstance?

The worst case scenario is on my mind... forking out big $, and facing months without my camera while it's sent to Germany to have the sensor replaced. I'm really hoping that there's a much less painful way to way to correct this???

Thanks in advance - Ryley (Melbourne, Australia)

Edited by ryley
spelling mistake

M8.

No warranty; I bought it second hand here in Melbourne. Hence my nervousness.

Note: Shots that I took when I tested the camera before buying it do not show these lines. I first noticed them when I put on my new (PreASPH) 35 cron a few days ago. Upon noticing them, I went back and inspected shots off my 21mm Elmarit and found instances where they do appear, albeit less harshly.

Edited by ryley

Someone here will be able to tell you what Leica charge to replace the sensor.

It would be worthwhile sending your example shots to Customer Service in Solms and asking them to fix the sensor under a goodwill claim.

Hi Ryley,

You have the vertical line problem. This was quite common in the early M8's. I had exactly the same problem too. The sensor is working fine - there is a faulty component on the board that reads the information out from the sensor. You will have to send the camera in for repairs - generally a free repair in Germany for a known problem. If you search for "vertical line" here on the forum you'll find many discussions about it.

Good luck

Andreas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You will have to send the camera in for repairs - generally a free repair in Germany for a known problem. If you search for "vertical line" here on the forum you'll find many discussions about it.

Thanks very much Andreas.

I'm about to go OS for 3 months, so I will need to wait until I'm back to send it off unfortunately. But in the meantime I will email the examples off to Solms and get their feedback. Fingers crossed that they'll be prepared to fix it as a goodwill claim.

Apologies to those who have seen this post a thousand times before. I should have searched the forum before creating another thread about an old issue.

Ryley

... Apologies to those who have seen this post a thousand times before. I should have searched the forum before creating another thread about an old issue....

No problem as far as I'm concerned, Ryley! It's the first time for you, anyway. :)

And when Leica processes your request, do let us know the result.

BTW--what does it mean to "go OS"?

Web search for OS (Google, "define{colon}os") produces:

a mouth or mouthlike opening;

osmium: ... the heaviest metal known;

operating system;

oculus sinister: the left eye;

bone: rigid connective tissue that makes up the skeleton of vertebrates;

Os is a municipality in the county of Hordaland, Norway;

an Ordnance Survey map;

Abbreviation for Off Screen, denoting that the speaker is not resident within the scene;

Open Source is a general term describing several parts of the Free Software Licence movement;

etc.

:confused:

Edited by ho_co

Ryley,

Sorry to hear about your m8. i had the same problem - except that mine was a blue line on the right side. i just got my used m8 last friday and had sent it in to the local agent this morning. Although the set is under international warranty, i had to pay postage to send it to Solm since the used set was bought overseas.

You should try and contact your local agent - they may send it back to Solm and fix it for you (for free) but you pay postage and insurance. No harm trying.

Good luck.

No connection to a particular series of cameras has been established. It is not a problem that is limited to Leica or Kodak, btw, all digital cameras will show this problem to a varying degree.

BTW--what does it mean to "go OS"?

:confused:

OS stands for 'over seas', which means 'to go abroad' in Australian English. This is because to go abroad from Australia, one must necessarily go 'over seas'. Personally I never realized this was an Australianism until I visited Europe where of course it sounds rather odd.