M7 Exposure Lock

blovitch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having had to return my M8s to Solms I dug out my M7.

When trying to lock the Exposure with the shutter button, I have noticed on a few occasions that the displayed shutter speed changes once or twice by around .5 of a stop.

Also I have noticed every now and then that the message ASA flashes instead of the shutter speed. As I can't currently find the manual can anyone confirm if this is normal behaviour.

CHeers.

-Tim

As much as I hate to say this, I believe what you are experiencing is the 'old' DX-reader's contact problem. If the DX-reader's contacts do not engage the film canister properly, a different ISO value is sensed by the reader and is shown in the display. Of course, in auto-mode time values will also change accordingly.

Setting ISO manually removes most of the problems, although a different ASA will still be shown in the display in case of an improper contact between the DX-reader and the film cartridge, but will have no effect on the actual exposure if ISO was set manually.

Andy

As much as I hate to say this, I believe what you are experiencing is the 'old' DX-reader's contact problem. If the DX-reader's contacts do not engage the film canister properly, a different ISO value is sensed by the reader and is shown in the display. Of course, in auto-mode time values will also change accordingly.

I'm not sure that it is. My main M7 has been plagued by the DX-reading problem on and off since I bought it in 2003 but I have never seen it display 'ASA'.

Ian, I have never seen mine display 'ASA' as well, but thought Tim was refering to the ASA value being displayed in the finder. Can't remember at present whether the camera would actually display 'ASA' under certain circumstances, will have to look that up in the manual.

Cheers,

Andy

Tim, according to the manual, 'ASA' flashes if the film speed setting is "incorrect, between the sections." I presume that this means that the ISO dial isn't properly set - positioned between indents?

Yes, this is what the manual says.

In addition I'd say that in general the camera seems not being able to read the film speed dial setting although it's properly set - I guess you've already tried several times to confirm the latter?!

Try to clean the three gold plated contacts for the transmission of the set film speed you see with the back of the camera open. Also, turn the film speed dial a few times to clean its contacts.

Good luck!