Noctilux: Why do you love it, or why not?

tom in mpls

It does not make me less happy that some people do not like Noctilux images in general or mine in particular, it inspires me to shoot with it wide open every day. I cancelled my order for the 50 Summilux as I knew I would never take it with me now that I had the Noct.

It is also surprisingly versatile, I shoot it everywhere and it always delivers.

Ian

Beautiful shots, and I agree with most of your comment. However, one of your shots also captures one of the two pet peeves I have with this lens. The non-rounded bokeh/blur of bulbs in the background. This is shown in one of your shots with the beautiful model reading what appears to be a menu.

The other thing I dislike are the three point expansion of bright sources of pointed light close to corners (also shown in one of the street shots above - page 1)

Other than that, this is an amazing lens (0.95 at least).

I had the f1 version for a couple of months and truly hated it. long focus throw, heavy, viewfinder blockage, 1m minimum distance, coma, flare, freaky bokeh, strange colors, low contrast and nothing really is in focus.

sold it for nearly the same amount I got it for, though I feel I missed a couple of shots where my Summilux would have done a much better job.

Funnily enough I was at my Leica dealer this afternoon and he had a 1990 Noctilux which he was trying to sell me for around EUR2, 500-. I mounted it on the M9 and went out around town for 2 or 3 hours to play.

My initial observations:

It's very heavy, the M9 feels somehow unbalanced with this lens.

It was a sunny day so I had to stop down to f2 to get decent exposures.

I also noticed a fair amount of purple fringing wide open in bright conditions.

It takes a fair bit of practice to focus spot on wide open.

The focus throw is too long for my liking.

For comparison I had my 50mm Summilux on my other M9 body. I must admit I'm very biased about the 50mm Summilux, it's my favorite of the 12 or so Leica lenses in my arsenal.

Conclusion:

I'll stick with the Summilux it just feels right and delivers everything I expect with no funny quirks.

That's just my 10 cents worth, others may have a different view.

Stefan and Mike, thanks so much for your giving your impressions of the nocti. It is of little value to hear exclusively from those who enjoy the lens (unless, of course, that is the unanimous reaction--but it seems that is not to be).

I have enjoyed reading the reports from all who have responded, thank you all. A variety of direct and honest viewpoints make a most interesting discussion.

I hope we will hear from others, pro or con, 1.0 vs .95.

Either is a brilliant lens to be able to use.

Kurt

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

it's honestly my favorite lens, 2nd is the 75 lux, 35 cron vIV 35 lux asph, the list goes on!!

anyhow, check some frames.

It's the best concert lens and 2nd is the 75lux...

i love portraits with the noctilux.

i'm a big fan.

Jr. Gong (velvia 100)

4596975579_e99932e196_o.jpg

Yeasayer

M9

4597050361_21a76853b4_o.jpg

@ coachella...

m9

4572551631_4a2563db5e_o.jpg

Ezra Koenig (Vampire weekend @ coachella)

4569903392_413ff30b36_o.jpg

me in a very nice porto potty backstage @ work. *(coachella) M9

4528044782_32dd05fb85_o.jpg

cheers

jesse

ps - i need an e58 HOOD!

can someone sell me one please??

i'm tired of using a filter but i have to!

It is big, relatively heavy but has a certain charm and one is often rewarded with some keepers.

Looking at the pictures in this thread, I think I will stick with my Lux 50/1.4 Asph. and instead of a Nocti, I will buy the new car I need.
I also have stuck with my 50/1.4 ASPH for most stuff. The new Noctilux is certainly a wonderful lens but I can live with the Summilux ASPH at a stop slower for that look. I use an older E58 f1.0 Noctilux and had it with me at a recent youth concert. Totally different look but no less appealing than the ASPH lenses.

ICP_32.jpg

ICP_39.jpg

Jesse, Jackal. Peter and Arif--

Thanks for posting these fabulous shots. On the M9, I love the 75 Lux a lot too, and it's a similar thing to the Nocti...

My relatively new 1.0 Nocti, though, is the only lens I have right now that will not achieve infinity on my M9 (the rangefinder doesn't line up), which means close focus is right on, but as it gets towards the middle it's driving me a little nuts!

It's crazy... but it's the same on my M8, M6 and M3 so I suppose it must be the lens and not the rangefinder on the M9.

I just missed focus on this shot (by less than a foot, but still), which I took really quickly yesterday...

This is probably f1.2 or 1.4; I focused on the couple, the plant behind them is in perfect focus. Other shots that day, closer up, were perfect:

Are any of you seeing this with your Noctis? I guess I know this means a trip to Leica for the Nocti, but I'll miss it :)