Noctilux: Why do you love it, or why not?

tom in mpls

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find the M system's compact size a compelling feature. The 50mm nocti is not so small. And spectacularly expensive, of course, especially for the .95 current version.

If you have used either the 1.0 or .95 for your M9, tell me what you find compelling such that you are willing to spend that much money on it and schlep the 700gm monster around. Is there a compelling reason to prefer the .95 over the 1.0?

Or if you have tried it and rejected it, why?

Edited by tom in mpls

Dear Tom,

Moving from a Nikon D3 with the usual 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 200micro, 600VR, 800 f/5.6 the tiny proportions of the M9, with the dinky 28 Cron, the diminutive 90 Cron, the Nokton 35 1.4 I spent a heavenly couple of months. Then the F/1 noct landed on my desk and my life was not going to be the same again. It has not been off my camera in the last 3 months and I shoot with it every day. In fact I shoot at f/1 every day.

At first I feared that it would be difficult to focus at f/1 but I would say that I have the highest proportion of keepers with that lens than anything else I put on my M9. The long throw helps on the f/1 but I just seem to nail every grab shot.

I was perfectly happy before I paid the big bucks that at worst I could sell it and any loss would have been the price for renting it for those months.

Its 'hand' when drawing has made me re-evaluate much that I have held to be true in photography. I had measured glass in terms of more contrast is good, sharpness at all costs, saturation is king. And I started trying to add these elements to my Noctilux images in Photoshop. At the end of every set of edits I would throw the layers away as I preferred the original hand of the glass.

I do not get emotional about glass, I sold my NIkon 28 1.4 without a second thought, but this lens showed me life in a way that I have never extracted from my super perfect lenses. It is a smidge easier on the eye, it is subtler but beguiling. I did not ever have to justify this lens I wanted to try it and it makes me happy to shoot it. It does not make me less happy that some people do not like Noctilux images in general or mine in particular, it inspires me to shoot with it wide open every day. I cancelled my order for the 50 Summilux as I knew I would never take it with me now that I had the Noct.

It is also surprisingly versatile, I shoot it everywhere and it always delivers.

Ian

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ianspector
  • Like 2

I have used the last version Noct f/1.0 and I was not happy with it because it was too soft for my taste at f/1.0.

Now that I am using the f/0.95 ASPH version, I am very happy with the resolution. It approaches that of my Nikkor 200mm/2VR wide opened. Finally, I have found a really small lens (compared to the Nikon 200/2VR) that has the same type of effects and resolution. Color rendition, resolution all fit like a glove to the M9. Well done, Leica!

4597049101_8ea9986ed8_b.jpg

--

Arthur Y.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lovely pic, Arthur!

Agreed with Brett that the 1 m focus limitation is a bit of a hindrance. I do value the size of the 50 summilux asph, and will keep it around for travel, but the Noct is a unique beast, and one worth using to expand creative horizons....

I love the Nocti, but it hasn't got as much play time on my M9 as it did on the M8. I need to rectify that, but so far the sheer joy of shooting my 35 Lux as a 35 has been keeping me busy :)

But the Nocti 1,0 is a great lens, and it's sharper than most people think stopped down, too :)

It really is amazing how well it handles the night shots. Again it is not perfect, but I ignore the blooming, the ghosts from the moon, street lights and headlamps. This was f/1, 1/30 handheld, ISO 1250 and was pitch black. You can see Venus in this shot for heaven's sake.

Next shot is again wide open although had I remembered that there is an aperture ring, f5.6 would have sharpened up the road out to the bridge.

Last shot again is sharp enough for me, but nothing like as sharp as Arthur's image.

Ian

• Like 1

I like the artistic look the Nocti adds to mostly any photo taken with it, but I prefer the previous versions for their size. This is with the 1981-version f/1.0:

More here: leica.overgaard.dk - Thorsten Overgaard's Leica Pages - Leica 50mm Noctilux-M ASPH f/0.95 - Leitz 50mm Noctilux-M f/1.2 and the Leica 50mm Noctilux-M f/1.0 samples and article

• Like 1

I agree with Thorsten. I have both the 1.0 and the 0.95, and I generally prefer the 1.0 for two reasons (1) smaller size and weight (it's quite noticeable), and (2) I prefer the bokeh and artistic aspects of the 1.0. If I want a more reliably sharp image, will go for the 0.95. For black and white also really prefer the 1.0. I demo'd an earlier version of the 1.0, purchased a more recent production (2003), and in comparing images the prior version I had, the earlier model produced a little more dreamy look and better swirl in the bokeh which is/was so gorgeous (kinda wish I still had that one instead of my current copy!).

Well, the 0.95 is a fantastic piece of glass, and in many ways I feel that if one is going "to have a Noctilux" that is the one aiming for. It's simply too interesting and irresistible a lens!

One can get used to the weight and balance.

I guess, despite the price range, Noctilux is one of the lenses where one want different editions (as it's the case with the 50mm Summilux ASPH and pre-ASPH and the 35mm Summicron version IV and ASPH, etc).

I have both the .95 and the newer 1.0 and have decided to keep both. The .95 is clearly bigger and heavier, but the images are sharp across the entire frame. The 1.0 has such a pleasant swirly bokeh that is one of a kind. I find both easy to focus, but the limitation is definitely the 1m focusing distance. I use a ND filter for daytime and shoot 95% wide open on both lenses.

• Like 1

I have the 0.95 and love it for the bokeh and selective focus. The weight and size is secondry to its stellar performance. It is also the sharpest lens I have ever used at f/4 and smaller.

I love the Noctilux 50 1.0 on my Leica M film camera's. I tested it on the M9 but so far have been unable to find one for sale. At this point could care a less as Im having just entirely way to much fun with it on my M3/M6/M7. During the day I almost always use it with a B+w nD filter or a polarizer to cut back the light and be able to use it F f1.0. At night the Noct is amazing resistant to flare and the ability to shoot with 100 ASA film inside is very nice. For more some interesting Noctilux shots, check out the Range Finder Forum, Leica M section, as well as the "Nikon cafe" , film section.

url=http://rogaltacdesign.smugmug.com/Other/Recent-Work/10389816_MjvrT#857954684_bi2Wt-A-LB]857954684_bi2Wt-L.jpg[/url]

857926957_xJs4Q-L.jpg

Taken with 50 1.0 Noctilux @1.0 on M7 on XP2

863442009_AKE3z-L.jpg

863445077_233R4-L.jpg

Taken with 50 1.0 Noctilux on Leica M7 on E6 cross processed in C41

844507947_UBSiX-L.jpg

844499092_Fz4Af-L.jpg

844483855_Jq4Pp-L.jpg

844485255_FXfUa-L.jpg

When I started to do photography over 20 years ago everyone said to me " you got learn to use the normal lens" and for me that is what the Noctilux is, a normal lens. It just happens to have a unique signature and fast maximum aperture. But normal all the same. Sure it has it limitations like the 3 foot minimum focus. However, for me personally it has become an indispensable tool to see the world.

847387079_jBzuf-L.jpg

847387383_8hccR-L.jpg

Just like the Canon 50 1.0 I use to use sometimes you can get some bizarre and yet not unpleasing flare from bright light sources. I was at a fire the other day and i addition to grabbing my Nikkor 300 2.0 IF ED AIS I grabbed my Noctilux and M7. These where taken at 1/4 second wide open with ISO 200 film. While I was able to get to a different position and get a killer close up of the one of the cars burning in front of one of the houses I was very happy to document the scene with a shot in film.

842778240_GdJer-L.jpg

Nikkor 300 2.0 IF ED AIS on D3 handheld 1/250 @2.0 ISO 500

So even if your using primarily a Digital SLR I really think shooting have a lens like the Noctilux with you adds a whole new dimension to your photographic capabilities.

Gregory

• Like 1

I found a mint 6-bit coded f1 version just before I collected my M9 and didn't hesitate to buy it after having seen many sample images on the internet. It's quite a heavy lens but is manageable. I use mine mostly at f1.4-2.8 and at f1.0 when I need the speed or that swirly bokeh. Even at f2-2.8 the bokeh is still quite unique, IMHO.