Leica M6 Newbie

Janek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody!

A few days ago I bought a Leica M6 with a f2/35mm and a f2.8/50mm lenses. I am a bloddy newbie to the M-system and have a few questions I hope you could answer.

How can I focus objects outside the split-focus-screen? I don't like my primary object of interest in the middle of an image. Can anybody give me some piece of advice on that and on how I can play with selective depth of field? Any good book on how to get used to the M-Philosophy, how to get easily into it and work with it?

I haven't developed those few rolls of film I have shot yet. How many rolls of film did you shoot 'til you got used to your Leica M on average?

I am looking forward to your replies!

Merry Xmas and a happy new year from Germany!

Janek

It's such a silly thing you'll be surprised not thinking about it by yourself: just focus you subject (in the middle), then reframe and put it anywhere you like in the viewfinder, then shoot.

welcome to the forum and to the M cameras.

Regarding books, this is supposed to be a good one and a real classic in the topic of M-photography.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1579906370/ref=wl_it_dp/202-3439988-7059004?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1AHK9QI56WH1J&colid=3U8HYVFIBWVUO

I'm still getting used myself to the camera, so can't help you with the second part of your post.

Have fun!!

Welcome Janek to the Forum!

thewave.sml.gif

I like to position my point of interest at the intersection of the bottom-rightmost third of the composition. So I focus on that point of interest, and then swing the camera back to the left and snap.

As far as selective focus, just about any aperture on an M lens wide of f4 will give you a nice isolation of the subject. Just try to shoot at the higher shutter speeds and you should like your results.

And regarding books, I'm sure there are many...but your best support will be right here on this Forum.

Thanks.

Allan

Guest Bernd Banken

Hi Janek,

for the second part of your questions:

Use the old school method:

on top of the lenses the aperture numbers are visible and the depth o. field distance in meters and feets, that's all.

Also welcome in the german forum...

Cheers

Bernd

This is a great book. I bought it a few weeks ago to go with my new Leica RF purchase (a M4-2) and it is a wealth of useful information. What ever the question, so far, I can find the answer in the book.

Good luck with the camera, I'm still getting used to mine

LouisB

Hello Janek,

Congrats on the new camera, if you are realy new to the viewfindercamera it'll take you a few films to get a basic idea of how to use it. Then the real learning starts, I'm using one for a few years now, daily, and still gaining skills.

The focus and recompose as discribed is the way to go, it may seem a bit unnatural in the beginning but after a while it becomes second nature. Books help, attending this forum does, shooting alot does most.

Start of and find out, if you come across more issues, post them here, there's always someone here to help you out.

Happy shooting,

Fr.

Hallo Janek,

zunächst willkomen in der Leica Gemeinde!

Der Buchtitel, der Dir empfohlen worden ist, Leica M, Günter Osterloh, scheint zumindest hier in Deutschland nicht der Hit zu sein. Vielleicht suchst Du den selben Titel (in deutscher Sprache) einmal bei Amazon.de: Günstige Preise bei Elektronik & Foto, DVD, Musik, Bücher, Games, Spielwaren & mehr:, dann kannst Du Dir einmal die Kritiken anschauen, und wirst vielleicht feststellen, das die Aufmachung und auch der Inhalt des Buches recht "antiquiert" daher kommt, und dazu noch relativ teuer ist.

Ich selbst habe mir vor zwei Jahren, als ich mir die M7 kaufte, das Buch von:

Hünecke, Richard

Leica M7/MP

aus der Reihe: Laterna Magica

Erscheinungsjahr 2003

Callwey Verlag Shop Themen

under construction

gekauft, und bin eigentlich zufrieden. Dieses Buch war auch wesentlich preisgünstiger.

Übrigens, der Autor, Richard Hünecke, hatte vorher auch das Buch: M6/M6TTL geschrieben. Vielleicht gibt es diesen Titel noch im Fachhandel, oder aber gebraucht bei amazon bzw. ebay.

Gruß

Werner