Advertisement (gone after registration)

M3 is back! Sold it a few years ago but just got it again. It’s by far the most enjoyable M, especially this batch I got, which is the transitional batch. It’s a single stroke with the Buddha ears and with the smooth film rewind movement of the double stroke. Love it :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

22 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Buddha ears and with the smooth film rewind movement of the double stroke

I didn't know that.

How possible ?

Maybe individual features, as we know that the adjustments were done by different technician in each M3 before leaving the factory.

Smoothness can occur also when the M is used for many years and could be fine adjusted when repaired or CLAed.

@StephenH @a.noctilux thanks for the comments. There are Single Stroke serials (8xx & 9xx) that keep the very smooth winding of the original Double stroke (ie without the click click click from all other M cameras that followed). The big M (cameras that have a big M3 mark on top, produced in Canada) also all have this smooth winding mechanism. I believe these models were mostly produced in 1957~59. They also retain some details from earlier M3s that later SS M3s don't have, such as the Buddha ears, and the larger rewind button (if you look closely, later SS rewind button is smaller as this piece was changed to fit both M2 and M3 at some stage). 

These are quite small details, but do make the camera more enjoyable, especially the very quiet and smooth winding, that to me is the most enjoyable of any film camera. I also do like the Buddha ears better :)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

@StephenH @a.noctilux thanks for the comments. There are Single Stroke serials (8xx & 9xx) that keep the very smooth winding of the original Double stroke (ie without the click click click from all other M cameras that followed). The big M (cameras that have a big M3 mark on top, produced in Canada) also all have this smooth winding mechanism. I believe these models were mostly produced in 1957~59. They also retain some details from earlier M3s that later SS M3s don't have, such as the Buddha ears, and the larger rewind button (if you look closely, later SS rewind button is smaller as this piece was changed to fit both M2 and M3 at some stage). 

These are quite small details, but do make the camera more enjoyable, especially the very quiet and smooth winding, that to me is the most enjoyable of any film camera. I also do like the Buddha ears better :)

This is mostly correct. If you look back through my posts I’ve been mentioning this for a few years. The serial numbers in question start at 920,250 and end when the 963,000 serial starts (from this serial on, weaker round lugs, ratchet return mechanism and other changes).

I have two transitional’s and one later M3. Yes, you can tell the difference. The transitional are silky smooth, the later one is more crisp in its haptics. All are CLA’d by top service centre inJapan.

Edited by 105012
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 105012 said:

This is mostly correct. If you look back through my posts I’ve been mentioning this for a few years. The serial numbers in question start at 920,250 and end when the 963,000 serial starts (from this serial on, weaker round lugs, ratchet return mechanism and other changes).

I have two transitional’s and one later M3. Yes, you can tell the difference. The transitional are silky smooth, the later one is more crisp in its haptics. All are CLA’d by top service centre inJapan.

Do the "transitional" cameras have the original "decimal" range shutter speeds ie 1/10, 1 1/100?

New to me… been without a film M for 2 years. 

I love it!  

Does anyone have a story based on the serial number? I’ve gathered it was made in ‘61… 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, MontuckyLow said:

New to me… been without a film M for 2 years. 

I love it!  

Does anyone have a story based on the serial number? I’ve gathered it was made in ‘61… 

Congrats and enjoy !

If you scroll down this page ,  you'll find the list of M3 serial numbers by year of manufacture :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/M3

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JMF said:

If you scroll down this page ,  you'll find the list of M3 serial numbers by year of manufacture :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/M3

Thanks for that, JMF - that means my Friendly Leica M3 Double Stroke is in fact a 1956 Elcan model, apparently one of 100.... 📸😎👍

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, robert_parker said:

Thanks for that, JMF - that means my Friendly Leica M3 Double Stroke is in fact a 1956 Elcan model, apparently one of 100.... 📸😎👍

Congratulations Robert !

Cheers, JM, "M3 addict"

• Thanks 1

Sexiest Leica combo 🔥

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I've had about half a dozen M3s but this latest acquisition is the smoothest one yet

• Like 11

Another one, this time sideways with the full set (inc. XOOIM hood) :)

• Like 8

My M3 next to its bodyguard...

• Like 9
  • Haha 3