Got my M3 by mail just an hour ago. Still looking for a good 50mm for it, for the meantime here it is with a 40mm f1.2 voigtlander (used to live on our m2) and our m2’s old red case from luigi. Love how clear the viewfinder is. 🙂 Can’t wait to try this soon. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, pedaes said:

Dr of medicine? Now or back in the day? I would the Dr.'s were one of the few who could afford new, and many did.

Dr of dermatology  !  I was very proud of my M3 , I kept with me most of the time,  the lens Summaron f2.8. The camera was a pleasure to behold, it had a black half case and a 1954 metal lens hood.  Now I have an M6 with f1.2 / 35mm summicron ASPH lens and plastic lens Hood --   Q. Is  there a Metal Lens Hood - to  replace the plastic Hood available these days ?   

• Like 1

Q. Is  there a Metal Lens Hood - to  replace the plastic Hood available these days ?   

Yes, but I suspect only second-hand.  I borrow the lens-hood from an earlier f/2 Summicron:

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Leica R4 Summi 50 mm Elpro 1 HP5

• Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love mine too, M3 (1961) and 1.4/50 Summilux (1959)

• Like 14

Finally got a 1957 Elmar 50 f2.8 to match my 1957 body. It replaced the Voigtlander in my previous post. 🙂

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I've got an offer for a "MINT" condition M3, Chrome, DS version, and the serial number indicated that this camera could be the 2nd batch(M3-743xxx).

How do I inspect this camera in order to make sure everything is working preperly, and it's 100% functional, if I'm going to place the order?

Your advice would be very grateful.

Edited by Erato

2 minutes ago, Erato said:

I've got an offer for a "MINT" condition M3, Chrome, DS version, and the serial number indicated that this camera could be the 2nd batch(M3-743xxx).

How do I inspect this camera in order to make sure everything is working preperly, and it's 100% functional, if I'm going to place the order?

Your advice would be very grateful.

It's not possible to inspect if you don't have access to the camera, which I assume is the case since you are placing an order.  If you have the right to return once you receive the camera, you can follow the advice offered in several posts in the Forum because this topic comes up a lot.  If you are buying from a reputable dealer then your chances are better the camera is as described.  Even then, I'd shoot a roll of film to test all the shutter speeds and uncover light leaks.  I'm sure others will offer suggestions.  I hope everything works out.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

It's not possible to inspect if you don't have access to the camera, which I assume is the case since you are placing an order.  If you have the right to return once you receive the camera, you can follow the advice offered in several posts in the Forum because this topic comes up a lot.  If you are buying from a reputable dealer then your chances are better the camera is as described.  Even then, I'd shoot a roll of film to test all the shutter speeds and uncover light leaks.  I'm sure others will offer suggestions.  I hope everything works out.  

Hi Ray,

heartfelt thanks for your reply promptly. I've done the research already. Popped up this question just in case I've missing something beyond that.

It's a reputable dealer and I plan to visit their shop sometime this weekend or next Monday.

I can hands-on targeted camera. But I am not sure if they'd be happy to let me shoot one trial roll and wait until the film get through the wet-process.

Edited by Erato

4 minutes ago, Erato said:

Hi Ray,

heartfelt thanks for your reply promptly. I've done the research already. Popped up this question just in case I've missing something beyond that.

It's a reputable dealer and I plan to visit their shop sometime this weekend or next Monday.

I can hands-on targeted camera. But I am not sure if they'd be happy to let me shoot one trial roll and wait until the film get through the wet-process.

Not sure if you saw this thread.  It's about an M2 but should apply to an M3 as well.  It's good to hear you are buying from a reputable dealer.  With a credit card deposit the dealer might give you time to shoot the roll and inspect the results.  Most reputable dealers offer at least a 14-day right to return.  The dealer wants you satisfied so they don't have to deal with an unhappy customer and potential return.  The dealer can probably suggest a local lab so you don't have to deal with the postal service.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

Not sure if you saw this thread.  It's about an M2 but should apply to an M3 as well.  It's good to hear you are buying from a reputable dealer.  With a credit card deposit the dealer might give you time to shoot the roll and inspect the results.  Most reputable dealers offer at least a 14-day right to return.  The dealer wants you satisfied so they don't have to deal with an unhappy customer and potential return.  The dealer can probably suggest a local lab so you don't have to deal with the postal service.  

Many thanks for the reference threads, I' on it now.

Good new, the dealer called and agreed on the return policy within a week or two.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

I have further question here...

Does Mandler Lenses fitting M3? I mean the ability to close focus to 0.7m?

Is there a mechanism suitable to modify the M3 in order to done the job precisely?

What would happen if I attached those Mandler lenses on the M3?

Guest Nowhereman
21 minutes ago, Erato said:

It seems that the nearest distance only 1 meter on M3.

Actually, most M3s, except some of the early ones, can be focused down to 0.7m if you straighten a lever in the throat of the camera as described in this article. I've seen other web articles on how to do this with images, which you may be able to find. It's a trivial adjustment that you can do yourself. (I can't resist reposting a picture of my M3, with the Voigtlander 28/35 mini-finder).

22 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Actually, most M3s, except some of the early ones, can be focused down to 0.7m if you straighten a lever in the throat of the camera as described in this article. I've seen other web articles on how to do this with images, which you may be able to find. It's a trivial adjustment that you can do yourself. (I can't resist reposting a picture of my M3, with the Voigtlander 28/35 mini-finder).

Your M3 is awesome.

And I figure out that the trick might be useful since the M3 is early version.

I'll check if its doable when I have it. Big thanks.

My M3 has been in service since October, YYe seems to be slammed. Just got it back with 2 lenses CLAd. The 35 Summilux V2 I have had for 40 years came back feeling almost new, I also had a 135 Tele-Elmar that I bought for $100 in October cleaned up. Unfortunately for the M3 which was in for shutter brake adjustment, seems the said brakes are very worn, but with DS M3s they are part of the camera chassis and can't be replaced. So Youxin said to keep the shutter speeds down below 1/500.