• 3 weeks later...

Here is my M3 #1073408. It was my father's. He bought it used in the late 90's to complement his M6 Wetzlar. I have since added the DR and the MR-4. The winding mechanism and curtain started to act rough but Mr. Ye made it like new again a few years ago.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Here is my Dad's:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

😇when my old M3 of 1954 tried to become much younger M6J

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Goodbye old friends...😭

I thought I'd never part with my M3 kit, but they're in a better place now at least.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:16 AM, a.noctilux said:

😇when my old M3 of 1954 tried to become much younger M6J

I just love the look of this lens on the M3. Also, forgive my ignorance, but your rewind knob looks very different to mine!

9 hours ago, edshreds said:

I just love the look of this lens on the M3. Also, forgive my ignorance, but your rewind knob looks very different to mine!

Mine has all original attributes.

The first 10,000 M3 of 1954 batch have this red straight line, later M3 (depending on date of them) have one or two red dot(s) on rewind knob.

These changes not documented in Wiki's M3 Variants but so many variants on the long run of M3 time, with some upgrades/replacements as usual.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Shot with Leica M2 7Artisans @ 1.1 Kodak Color

• Like 7

9 hours ago, weeowee said:

How much is a fair price for a good condition M3 these days?

In the USA between $800 and $1,400.  Personal sale < $1,000.  From a dealer > $1,000.  This assumes "good condition".  Buying from a reputable takes some of the uncertainty out of the condition.  Buying from an individual increases the risk the item is less than good condition.  "Good condition" to me means ready to shoot and no major cosmetic problems.  If I bought from an individual or less reputable dealer, I'd factor the cost of a CLA -- about $300.  

BTW, no disrespect intended, but by asking this question probably means you will be best served paying a little more and buying from a good dealer.  It will save you time and aggravation.  

I'm sure you will get more input so this is just my two cents and based on my personal experience.  

Ray

9 hours ago, weeowee said:

How much is a fair price for a good condition M3 these days?

Further to Ray's sensible advice I suggest that irrespective of from where or whom you buy an M3, you immediately have it serviced.  My M3 was inherited from my father, however earlier cameras slowly acquired were sent to Don Goldberg or Ottmar Michaely.  Unlike cars, cameras don't come with a service history, and don't believe what a dealer tells you.  What a dealer calls a service is often not particularly comprehensive.  Any M3 is at least over fifty years old, and even if not used the fine lubricants within will over time accumulate minute dust particle which wear the soft winding gears which make the M3 such a delight.  Finally make sure you check the viewfinder and compare it with others to get an idea of how clear it should be.  Best wishes and enjoy your M3 when it arrives.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! The reason I was asking was because I’ve been checking a couple of really nice M3 units and I was kind of shocked that they’re more expensive than m6 now🙂. And yes, I’ve been checking reputable dealers and they’re the ones I’ve already had experience with before with our M2 and my previous Q. I definitely agree that it’s less risky buying from reputable dealers. 

3 hours ago, weeowee said:

Thanks everyone! The reason I was asking was because I’ve been checking a couple of really nice M3 units and I was kind of shocked that they’re more expensive than m6 now🙂.

That's surprising.  I've been casually looking for an M3 recently and M6s seem to be going for 2-3x the prices of M3s, at least in the US.  In fact I've been pretty shocked at the current prices of M6s, which in the past didn't seem to be regarded as overly desirable. 

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, logan2z said:

That's surprising.  I've been casually looking for an M3 recently and M6s seem to be going for 2-3x the prices of M3s, at least in the US.  In fact I've been pretty shocked at the current prices of M6s, which in the past didn't seem to be regarded as overly desirable. 

Same in the UK.

I saw a mint M3 going for around 2900 usd (just the unit and a cap) and a mint titanium m6 complete with box going for 2600 usd. That’s why i was surprised. From the same reputable shop, although I’m located in Asia so who knows.. haha maybe the collectors here of mint cameras are making the M3s skyrocket. 🙂