Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love all 3M3 's! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Topsy said:

Nice set, I particularly like the black one.

Hi Topsy, thanks. The top two are early single strokes (1958 and 1959), so spring return mechanism. The bottom one is a late 1965 model. You might notice detail differences, like the rewind lever lengths and the lugs...

Edited by 105012

10 minutes ago, 105012 said:

Hi Topsy, thanks. The top two are early single strokes (1958 and 1959), so spring return mechanism. The bottom one is a late 1965 model. You might notice detail differences, like the rewind lever lengths and the lugs...

Thanks, I toyed with the idea of an M3 for a while but in the end went for an M2 because I prefer the 35mm FOV, this one came with the collapsing 50mm but I use it with a 35 most of the time.

Forgive the intrusion of an M2 into the M3 thread.

Edited by Topsy
Added apology
  • Like 6

Am 8.10.2019 um 22:06 schrieb Penzes:

The M3 😍 is nothing special but what brand of coffee is this?     😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, analog-digital said:

The M3 😍 is nothing special but what brand of coffee is this?     😇

Nothing wrong with the M3 or m6 /just keep on improving with your black and white skills which is the way to go I keep trying,—cheers

• Like 1

Hi! After years and years of grinding away at college, post-grad, and dreaming of that first paycheck/purchase, I finally got it!! Here's my early 1955 M3 DS with the Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 Heliar

• Like 12

2 hours ago, kdo said:

Hi! After years and years of grinding away at college, post-grad, and dreaming of that first paycheck/purchase, I finally got it!! Here's my early 1955 M3 DS with the Voigtlander 50mm f3.5 Heliar

Congratulations.  That's a fine looking outfit.  Deferred gratification is a bitch but a lovely one once you reach her.  For me forty years ago, it was either a Kenwood receiver and JBL speakers and a Technics turntable, or an Olympus OM-2 with 50mm 1.4 Zuiko kit lens.  The stereo system won, but the camera came a few months later.  I sold the stereo equipment a couple of years later but i still have the camera and lenses.  Used it to chronicle my two daughters growing up.  Don't use them much since bitten by the Leica bug, but I'll never part with them.  Your's looks like a keeper and hope you have many years and good experiences together.  I've used my M3 the last four weekends and I'm always amazed by it's ergonomics and buttery smooth operations.  

You made a good choice.  Best wishes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kdo said:

Lovely M3, congrats kdo! That lens has fine optics as well.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:01 AM, kdo said:

Welcome to the forum! And that must be a succesful entry, with that beautiful M# and the Heliar. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot!

Lex

On 3/5/2020 at 10:01 AM, kdo said:

Don't forget to use a lens-hood with this lens.

I'm back with another one.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

After my first M6 in 2002, I got M9 in 2010, and two M10 in 2019. I love all M and finally manage to get this one.

and I love my M3 too (both camera and ///M3).

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I love my M3 :)

First M for me, almost 4 years ago. It makes shooting a 50 at 1.4 really enjoyable!

• Like 9

I could have bought a new M3 in 1968, but chose an M4 (same price) instead. About 10 years ago got a "bargain" 1960 M3 from KEH and enjoyed it, but still preferred my M4. A few years later a retired missionary offered me his Leicas, including a 1955 DS M3 that had been stored for decades in a hot Texas attic. The shutter ribbons had torn, and it was in sad shape. I sent it to Youxin Ye, who did a fine job restoring it.

Recently I pulled out the 1960 M3 and found the shutter was capping. I had always found the VF rather dim, so I sent it to Youxin also, and it came back a week ago. Youxin reported that the vulvanite was so brittle that it flaked off as he removed the body shell, so he recovered it with a material that matches nicely. Now the VF is great, and my first test roll shows it is working perfectly. It has a 1962 Summicron that gives very nice results.

The 55 DS has a 1939 Summitar (uncoated) that came with the camera when I got it, and Youxin cleaned it as well. I'm amazed it also performs very well, even uncoated.

So now both work very well, having been fully "Youxinized."

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 13