Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, tjv said:

Thanks, Hektor,

Good to know, thanks! Never heard of Charles Bridgwood, so if it comes to it it's good to know there's another contact closer than Germany. I live in New Zealand.

When you say Viewfinder discolouration, do you mean the slight blue tint they can develop? I seem to remember my old M3 had this but it didn't matter, or at least I hardly noticed it. Do some of them degrade to a really bad state, or affect the RF patch negatively?

Thanks again for your reply!

T

In relation to the RF patch specifically, if it exhibits the appearance of small hairs or spots throughout, it is very likely the frameline mask delaminating. Note, this is not the same as the rangefinder delaminating. 

The M2,3,4 used a glass sandwich in the frameline mask. It is this sandwich that can delaminate. 

My understanding is that the blue tint is endemic to M3s. It is not a problem with the rangefinder.

Another service alternative is European Camera Service in Melbourne, though I am yet to use him.  I will update in a few months as I intend to send an M2 with a rewind issue. 

Good luck!

J

Edited by Mute-on

Thanks guys! I’ve owned two M3’s and just loved them. I’m hoping to get lucky with another one soon.

i always used mine with a nice but well used collapsible summicron - A great lens of the period. Would like to get another of those too, or maybe a ZM C Sonnar.

Edited by tjv

Love my repainted M3.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

M3 revived, it had been sitting in a friend's attic for probably 25 years. The first CLA didn't fix the shutter sticking, so a second trip to YYE and a shutter curtain replacement. Before the second trip I photographed a roll of film with the lenses I had and except for a few blank frames from the sticky shutter, the images looked great. Just bought a 50mm collapsible Summicron so have the complete package. Will have to get used to film again.

Am 24.7.2019 um 15:47 schrieb plaidshirts:

Every time I'm tempted to sell my M3, I'm reminded it's simply too beautiful to let go.

If you ever want to sell it please let me know.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi TJV,

I bought an M3 on the classified here for a good price.  The vendor was in Spain - he sent it directly to Leica in Germany for CLA and recovering for me.  They did a great job, though it cost as much as the camera.  They could fix the viewfinder - some separation in the glue holding some elements.  It gave a yellowish tinge to the viewfinder - nothing major.

John

My M3

Perhaps for sale..... Edited by analog-digital
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2018 at 3:40 PM, Ghille Moire said:

I'm new here. I've been a medium format (Rollei, Hassy, etc.) junkie for years, ever since I discovered the square format (can't explain it  ;) ) back in the late 70s. I'm also a photography instructor at a small community college, where I've kept the darkroom course alive for 19 years now (more popular than ever these days), while teaching digital imaging courses. So, I'm not an analog holdout - I like it all.

A combination of things are contributing to my wanting to return to my 35mm roots.
• First, I'm retiring next summer. I'm going to need to simplify my photo gear, based on portability and ease of use. I've been using a Fuji X-Pro digital, which I was attracted to because you set the f-stop and shutter old school-style. But I have found the Fuji very disappointing as far as ease of use (digital viewfinder). I just want a camera I can put to eye (or hip) and make photos, not mess with an on-board computer!  <_<
• Second, some of my earliest photos were on the streets of San Francisco, where I wielded my Pentax H3 (no meter) with reckless abandon (we all want a piece of our youth back, no?) 
• Many of the photographers that I admire most use rangefinder 35mm, usually Leica.

• Finally, I'm at the point where I feel I can treat myself to a fine Leica M3 from the year I was born.

The one I decided to buy has just been CLA'd by Youxin Ye, guaranteed for a full year. I probably should have asked here first, but I bought a modern Summarit 35 f2.5 ASPH lens for it. I'm planning on just having one lens for this camera.

Here's a couple of pics.

Thanks!

Not a fan of old bodies with brand new lenses, but this should be a great combo.How are you going compensate for a 35mm view?

Just bought this M3 and ready to develop the first HP5+ today :)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased an M3 and have shot (and developed) black and white and color film.  I absolutely love the camera and my 15 year old daughter told me today that she loves to shoot and develop the film; far cry from her iPhone.  We even took the camera to Disney and shot some pictures there! With all of the use, I noticed that one of the screws on the front face is missing and one on the back as well.  Does anyone know where I can get replacement screws? They are black in color.  Thanks in advance!

Ed