Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here (I hope) is a very low res image from my phone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

In Tel Aviv...

• Like 6

...A repainted combo :

attachicon.gifIMG_1160 copy.jpg

Cheers, JM

Jean-Marc - Did you buy it this way or have it repainted? If so, who repainted it? I'm toying with the idea for my M3, if I can get it done well and quickly? (I'll be in Paris for a month staring 16 September, and shall go to Photo Suffren for the 0.7m focus minimum focus adjustment.)

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Count me in :) Recently stilled my lust for an M3 with the purchase of a rather beaten up sample, but all the times seem to work perfectly. Will remove the broken vulcanite and replace it with a fancy new dress from Aki Asahi. Here it is with his younger sibling:

• Like 7

I certainly love mine....double stroke from 1957, CLA'd and working as new! It originally came with the Leitz MR hotshoe meter but this one wasn't working well anymore even with new battery replacement. I realized that I don't need it anymore - sunny f/16 rule application works quite well and in more tricky light situation I use a cellphone based light meter app. Instead I decided to rather carry a 38 mm external viewfinder mounted on the hotshoe to be flexible to additionally mount my 35 mm lens onto the camera. It's certainly a beauty!

p2478851142-5.jpg

• Like 2

Jean-Marc - Did you buy it this way or have it repainted? If so, who repainted it? I'm toying with the idea for my M3, if I can get it done well and quickly? (I'll be in Paris for a month staring 16 September, and shall go to Photo Suffren for the 0.7m focus minimum focus adjustment.)

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Hi Mitch,

I'll be  in Paris for a few days around September 16 as well.

About the M3, I bought it already repainted from a Korean seller. 

There is a french  person  in Brittany who does repaint jobs on M3 SS (no DS) and other cameras: Jacques Fontana <jacques@jfcrea.com>, he's active on Summilux.net also as Jackf.

Let's met up in Paris then !

Cheers, JM

Edited by JMF

For me, the perfect camera and lens combination!

• Like 8

Today I applied the new covering from Aki-Asahi on my M3. Now I love the cam even more than in the state i received it lately:

• Like 6

Today I applied the new covering from Aki-Asahi on my M3. Now I love the cam even more than in the state i received it lately:

Looks great, just for practical shooting purpose I find it a "looker" with the blue covering distracting from inconspicuous shooting. But it certainly has a special flavor now! Have fun and enjoy :)!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just obtained an M3. I am going to buck the trend and say I'm not sure what to think yet. I find my Leica iiif more ergonomic and I find the lever on the M3 to forward the film a bit awkward and  impeded by the MR Leicameter, in any event. The m3 is easier and quicker to focus though but I prefer the sbooi on my iiif to the viewfinder on the m3

I have not worked out the leicameter (which I got at the same time) properly yet and although I think it is accurate my shots are a bit dark  (although the day I took them was very overcast.)

I am going to persevere because so many people say it is an excellent camera. They can't all be wrong. Richard

Edited by Guest

Hi Richard, I don't understand how you get in trouble with the transport lever of the M3, since the MR meter does not interfere at all with it. When rewinding the film the MR meter at first may feel as an obstruction, but after you have rewound a few films you will get used to it. The combined rangefinder and viewfinder are a definite advantage over the IIIF.

Perhaps you should check the accuracy of the MR meter with another meter, and be aware that the meter has a measuring field which is equal to the field covered by a 90mm lens. Pointing the meter to darker areas in your composition may help a lot.

I love the M3 for its reliability and its ergonomic feel. 

Lex

I have just obtained an M3. I am going to buck the trend and say I'm not sure what to think yet. I find my Leica iiif more ergonomic and I find the lever on the M3 to forward the film a bit awkward and  impeded by the MR Leicameter, in any event. The m3 is easier and quicker to focus though but I prefer the sbooi on my iiif to the viewfinder on the m3

I have not worked out the leicameter (which I got at the same time) properly yet and although I think it is accurate my shots are a bit dark  (although the day I took them was very overcast.)

I am going to persevere because so many people say it is an excellent camera. They can't all be wrong. Richard

My Leicameter MR broke shortly after I got my M3 camera which came with the MR meter. Neither battery change nor cleaning the contacts inside (tedious job, don't recommend doing it, not worth the effort) made it work again. No loss, I found my free cellphone based light metering app much more feasible with better accuracy than the MR meter. The M3 also looks much more bulky with the MR meter attached and less inconspicuous. I am using now the hotshoe to attach a small external 38 mm viewfinder instead. 

Edited by Martin B

My M3 was a gift from my wife's uncle to me.  It had belonged to my wife's grandfather.  It came with two Leica-meters, an MR-4 and an M.  Neither worked.  I also bought a Leica-meter MC, a semi-working model that is 2 1/2 stops off.  I love the look of the M3 with a Leica-meter mounted on it, but when I take the camera out for fun, I usually use my dad's Gossen Luna Pro, which is very easy to use, and very accurate.  I also just use my iPhone too, especially with some of my other cameras that rely on Wein cells to power their built-in light meters, and which tend to have very short lifespans.

Scott

• Like 1