Telyt 5/400

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the Summicron 90 is not trivial! I won't forget the Telyt 400 but right now I can only spend the money once, so perhaps later the Telyt will find its way to my collection.

Hey Sandro, don't take me seriously... ;)... I like, time to time, to joke about our passions about old gear... Cron 90 asph...I haven'it... :o..and, speaking seriously, I am well aware that one can make a better use of IT than of my SIX Elmars 90 (all diiferent one from each other ! :D)

I know Luigi and you will be jealous of my APO Summicron 90! I love my two Elmarits 90, and I use them a lot. Am curious how the new Cron will be. And when I get a chance I may sometime get a Telyt 400!

Best, Lex

Sandro, now you have me jealous. I've been on a waiting list for a new 90 cron since Feb, and my dealer will not hazard a quess when it will be delivered. I do use a 90 cron from the 1960's. It's hard to believe the new lens could be any sharper, but it definitely will be smaller. Good luck with your new lens.

Zeitz and Luigi, I thought I already had the Summicron 90 asph, but the seller mixed up that one with the pre-asph version, which I am not looking for. Perhaps tomorrow he can make me a new offer with the right lens, but I fear it won't be happening yet. Meanwhile another seller is interested to dicuss a price with me for his Telyt 5/400 with original leather case. So I may end up with the Telyt after all. I'll keep you informed.

Remember that the 400/5 second series lens is common and easy to find. Prices vary drastically for user vs collector condition. You should be in a good negotiating position. Check out Leicashop or Foto-hobby for typical European prices, usually including VAT. US is normally cheaper for some reason and also does not have VAT.

Thanks, I am checking prices but it does sound interesting. I have seen nice Telyt 5/400 second version lenses on Ebay that didn't sell fast for 600 or 700 euro and I try to negotiate it for less than 500 euro. I will have to incluse more than 100 shipping cost though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Zeitz and Luigi, I thought I already had the Summicron 90 asph, but the seller mixed up that one with the pre-asph version, which I am not looking for. Perhaps tomorrow he can make me a new offer with the right lens, but I fear it won't be happening yet. Meanwhile another seller is interested to dicuss a price with me for his Telyt 5/400 with original leather case. So I may end up with the Telyt after all. I'll keep you informed.

Curios... I remember well, some time ago, a thread (with pics) which spoke of exactly the same situation (a 90 for sale as asph, and it wasn't)... I do not remember the moment.. few months ago, I seem... maybe was the same seller (I do not remember, either, if it was an ebay listing or something else).

Zeitz, no need to be jealous anymore since the APO Summicron M 90 mm Asph wasn't there. So I am still happy with my two first version Elmarits 90 mm. Meanwhile I am hesitating about the Telyt 5/400. Looks very interesting and nice but I am afraid I would use it not enough. Should I save for other lenses or bodies first, is what I ask myself now. So advice is welcome from you and Luigi, adn others of course.

Lex

Sandro, there are a couple of options to the Leica 400/5. I really enjoy using the Novoflex 400/5.6. The first series PIGRIFF has an LTM thread and about 100mm registration (end of lens to film plane). The Leica body and Visoflex II/III is 68.8mm thick. So you need an extension tube of about 30mm to get it to work right and need the LTM to LBM adapter. The PIGRIFF B uses a unique adapter that can be hard to find. PIGRIFF C uses VISA, which is still made. However, PIGRIFF C does need some easy surgery to get it to focus to infinity on Visoflex II/III.

Another option are Kilfitt lenses. The 400/5.6 is popular, has a LTM tread, but tends to be expensive. It's registration is 94.5mm, so you need about 25mm of extension tube. The 400/4 is a very nice lens too. However it needs customer mounts, which are extremely hard to find.

A final option is the Komura 400/6.3. It shows up on e-bay now and then and is cheap. The optical quality is not up to the other options. It needs 8mm of extension - an LTM to LBM adapter and a 7mm tube.

There are many other options (Astro Berlin, Tewe, Canon R Set, etc). But they are all expensive and rather odd.

One other consideration is what type of pictures you would use this lens for. I do a lot of autoracing. The standard Visoflex III is really not very good for this application. You may be better off with a DSLR and a really cheap T-mount lens.

One other consideration is what type of pictures you would use this lens for. I do a lot of autoracing. The standard Visoflex III is really not very good for this application. You may be better off with a DSLR and a really cheap T-mount lens.

You are right. Since I got a Visoflex III with Bellows II (for which I found the compendium as well) I really enjoy macro with the Elmar 3.5/65 and the Elmarit 2.8/90, and the Telyt 4/200. I would like to do more photography of nature and animals and birds, using the equipment I already have and adding to that equipment. That is why I started thinking about the Telyt 200 first (which I bought) and the Telyt 400 now. I enjoy using the old Leitz equipment and see where it gets me.

Lex

Thanks Luigi, I saw it. Looks interesting, even though I am not looking for a Visoflex I. Perhaps I will try or else contact the earlier seller again. Lot 182 is interesting as well, since it inclused a M1 and a Visoflex II. Of course our problem is that we like to have so many of these lenses and equipment, although I use practically everything I have. The Visoflex is great fun to use when you have the time to set it all up and remember which adapter or ring to use.

Luigi, do you use your Telyt 400 regulalrly?

Ciao, Lex

Thanks Luigi, I saw it. Looks interesting, even though I am not looking for a Visoflex I. Perhaps I will try or else contact the earlier seller again. Lot 182 is interesting as well, since it inclused a M1 and a Visoflex II. Of course our problem is that we like to have so many of these lenses and equipment, although I use practically everything I have. The Visoflex is great fun to use when you have the time to set it all up and remember which adapter or ring to use.

Luigi, do you use your Telyt 400 regulalrly?

Ciao, Lex

Yes, but the f 5,6 version... the old f5 I have (1st version) is much less easy to handle (and I do not like so much the focusing action of the 6,8 version)

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find that there are two principal advantages to using the Televit. First the image seems to snap into focus more sharply when using the rack and pinion focussing. Second is the ability to focus closer than the normal 8m of the f/5 Telyt. I find the f/5.6 400mm Telyt to be at least equal to the f/5 lens @ f/8. All these advantages can be seen in the photograph of the crow who was sufficiently curious to advance to within ~4m.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally I just received my Telyt 400 f5 lens and Televit - need 14138 to connect.  

Televit is nice to use and well designed.

Telyt 400 f5 lens and Televit are good combination which gives me a very useful about 5M close focusing distance vs. 7M without Televit.

More importantly, with Televit I can slide-focus and not rotate-focus using its own short focusing unit which rotates its whole lens head when using.

Here is sample picture takens by this lens with Televit at about 5M distance.

Edited by f3p5

• 3 years later...

First to answer Sandro, the antelope was moving around pretty quickly. Also I took a lot of praire dog pictures. I do believe the Televit helped. Also I think the thumb wheel fine focus helps on the M8 where focus accuracy is so important.

Now to Luigi, yes 14138 is the ring between the Televit grip and the lens head. It is not used with Focorapid. 14138 is a thread to bayonet adapter unique to Televit. The Televit used the forward threads on the 280; the Focorapid uses the rear threads on the 280. That thread (rear thread) is the same as the basic Focorapid thread. The 280 adapter for Focorapid is actually just an extension tube to get the lens further forward for infinity focus. So you can put your head directly on Focorapid to try it out; you just won't have much close focus capability. But you could use an extension tube at the other end. I don't recall the code off the top of my head. I believe Leica shop as the 280 Focorapid adapter in stock.

The 280 on the Focorapid is a little out of balance, but it is workable. I have used the combination at autoraces.

Good luck finding a 14138. I bought mine from FotoHobby in Frankfort.

I am late to the party, but after this excellent explanation, I can only add my photos.

The second generation Telyt 400 f/5 can be used with both the Focorapid and the Televit.  The Telivid uses the rare 14138 adapter and the Focorapid the very rare  98113.  I believe this last adapter is a New York only item.  As others have stated, the 400 Telyt on the Focorapid is a heavy stress on the Focorapid mount and probably not a great combination.

• Like 1