Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, stuny said:

Wilson -

This particular car is from 1948, so you're close with its age.  But it is neither ALFA nor Italian.

How \are you feeling?

Stuart, 

I have just been up to see my surgeon in London today and it looks as if I am in for some months of treatment but hopefully with a positive outcome. Back up to London next week for MRI Scan. 

Wilson

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Best of luck.

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Stuart, 

I have just been up to see my surgeon in London today and it looks as if I am in for some months of treatment but hopefully with a positive outcome. Back up to London next week for MRI Scan. 

Wilson

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Stuart, 

Wilson

All the best, Wilson!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Philip got it.  A 1948, but I do not know which coach builder did this one - Many coach builders made T-L bodies.  It's a large car with a straight six engine.  Your tun.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stuny said:

Philip got it.  A 1948, but I do not know which coach builder did this one - Many coach builders made T-L bodies.  It's a large car with a straight six engine.  Your tun.

I believe, Stuart, that the small script-logo to the south of the near-side screen-frame will say 'Graber'...

Apologies for the delay in viewing the thread but it has been one of those days today preparing for an influx of guests this weekend. I will sort something out as soon as possible...

Philip.

• Like 1

OK; how about this one? Clearly the fine detailing shows it to be the work of a highly-skilled Artisanal Manufacturer whose creations must surely be extremely desirable and whose name must be known the world over! Whatever info you have will be of interest...

Philip.

Edited by pippy

5 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Philip,

Perhaps a Leicamobile?

Best Regards,

Michael

There is actually a modern full size reproduction  of a 1900's Stanley steam car made in the UK and sold as a self assembly kit, called a Lykamobile. 

Wilson

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Philip,...Perhaps a Leicamobile?...

Very Close, Michael!*

To be perfectly frank I've no idea whether this car has had alterations to its bodywork over the course of it 100-year existence so here's a crop which shows stuff that has a good chance of being Factory-Fitted;

Philip.

* No; not really. Neither is it the Batmobile; Popemobile or any other x-mobile......:lol:......

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

...Could it be the V8 Darracq record car?...

Hello, Wilson!

No, neither a Darracq nor a V8 although you are in the correct country! Half the number of pistons by comparison and was crafted way out East of the capital.

I've been trying to discover more about the quiz-car but Slim-Pickings so far. I snapped it whilst visiting a museum but having just checked it seems that the car is no longer in their collection. A search using google brought up just one(!) picture of this example and details accompanying the image were equally scarce. I do have a photo of the caption but, again, details are, in general, notable by their absence...

Not being au fait with this marque, myself, I'm a bit out on a limb to put it mildly. I know that it was built in 1923 and also the general model name (it was quite long-lived and a couple of thousand were manufactured) but from what I can gather the model could take any one of three type-numbers depending on wheelbase. Not having thought to bring a measuring tape with me on the trip...

I believe some of the ironmongery visible in this pic is common to many examples as it features on a number of these cars as photographed & posted on the www;

Philip.

Not any clearer? OK...

Here's a snap of the front. The manufacturer's badge has been digitally erased and the spoked wheel top right does not form part of this motor-car...

Philip.

I use the Excelsior Competition H racing tyres in 4.00" x 19", made for these cars, on the front of my Morgan Three Wheeler. They are a huge improvement on the Avon motorcycle sidecar tyres that Morgan supplied on it. The owner of this vehicle could do with buying some new Excelsiors! Coker, the company that owns Excelsior bought a number of the sets of moulds from Michelin, when they reduced the range of vintage race tyres that they make. The Excelsiors are less than half the price of three stud Dunlop Vintage Racers and pretty much as good. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

Hmmm....still too tricky?......:lol:......

OK; here's a crop shown in colour which might help as a small clue!

Philip.

1 hour ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Looks pretty difficult to swing that starting handle?  Bugatti.  Brescia?

Well done, Graham, it is as you state;

Here's the whole thing from the nose and a close-up of the scuttle area. Not sure that the windscreen is original(!) but, in a strange way, I rather like it;

Thanks, everyone, for playing and over to you Graham!

Philip.

• Like 3

Never seen a windscreen like it on a Bugatti :)  I should have got it earlier due to the radiator shape.

Unfortunately, until I can get out to a few classic or Prescott meetings, I still have nothing to post, so it's open to anyone to post the next challenge.

• Thanks 1