Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Make and model please.

(M8 and Elmar 24)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pippy said:

Congratulations, Mattias, and thanks for posting such an interesting, beautiful and 'New to Me' car Ivan!*

Having just read through the wiki entry I must say that I was impressed by the 91hp / 1000cc statistic! Wonderful to hear that the Family is not only looking after such a special car but are active in the racing side of things. Good Stuff and I'm sure "Il Commendatore" would have approved!

Philip.

*Would you prefer it if we continue to call you John?

Philip, 

I think those must be typical shetland pony sized horses, the commonly used power measurement in Italy in period, (and in the UK if the truth be told - particularly Jaguar). iI the 0-60MPH time of 14 seconds recorded by Autocar in their road test, is representative, I would have extrapolated a power figure of nearer 75 BHP, given the very low weight of the ASA at just 780kg. It is only 1 second faster to 60 than a 998cc Mini Cooper which only had 55 BHP (gross) or around 47 BHP net and which was not a lot lighter.

My 1968 Lancia Fulvia 1300 HF was claimed by the factory to have 120 BHP, which was completely mythical. After changing from 2 x twin choke 38mm Solex carbs to 2 x 40 DHLA Dellortos, putting in Nardi cams, having the head gas flowed and C-R increase by Broadspeed, it was only then actually making 120 BHP on the dyno. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MattiasAndersson said:

Make and model please.

(M8 and Elmar 24)

I love the Mille Miglia version of this car. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pippy said:

Congratulations, Mattias, and thanks for posting such an interesting, beautiful and 'New to Me' car Ivan!*

Having just read through the wiki entry I must say that I was impressed by the 91hp / 1000cc statistic! Wonderful to hear that the Family is not only looking after such a special car but are active in the racing side of things. Good Stuff and I'm sure "Il Commendatore" would have approved!

Philip.

*Would you prefer it if we continue to call you John?

Pardon the non sequitur, but somehow the final image of the last puzzle car fell through the cracks and never got posted. A happy coincidence after Wilson chimed in on the practice of the wildely optimistic Italian HP ratings of their red little bolides. This particular car, if memory serves me correctly dynoed at 113 SAE HP, while remaining quite drivable with useful torque.

Yes, Philip - et al, John would really work better - after all, since I first set foot on US soil some 60+ years ago I've been responding to John, the name I chose when I decided to emigrate to the States - after Johannes (Slovenia) , Johan ( Austria), Giovanni and then Giovannino ( Italy), which my parents shortened to the customary Nino, all depending in which country we lived at the time, all in my father's thankfully successful attempts to evade Nazi /SS efforts to  make him and his family disappear since he was one of the top-ranking active officers of the Royal Yugoslavian air force during the war.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Italian horsepower (or not, but the color is not missleading), the car I have for this quizz had 1/3 of the power compared to the ASA.

The MM was supposed to be better for winter time use, and also had ohv as the car in the picture. Not as the more normal variants of this model as we have on the table now…

Edit: over head valves, not cam

Edited by MattiasAndersson

Looks bigger in picture than in person, a very cute car.

• Like 4

Here is your next one

29 minutes ago, a.j.z said:

Thanks! Actually Wilson gave a valuable hint by mentioning that the car is Mille Miglia eligible. I then remembered this car that I had seen at an Austrian classic car dealer: https://home.mobile.de/FRANZWITTNERGMBH#des_337493862

There also was a Fiat 508 Mille Miglia, a coupe that was raced, with all 36 horses….

vor 57 Minuten schrieb MattiasAndersson:

Maserati 222E 

also called Biturbo

Had one for 10 years…

Correct, back to you!

• Like 1

Funny this, that car was one of the most scary thing I have had.

I had it chipped, 320 hp and 1130 kg...

So here is the next, with my 222E in the corner. I have cloned away the badge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattiasAndersson said:

There also was a Fiat 508 Mille Miglia, a coupe that was raced, with all 36 horses….

That is the one with the "fast back" body that I think looks particularly nice. However, I feel all Balillas are rather over-priced at the €150,000+ level. Are they for example, worth 5 times or more what a nice sports 1930's Riley would fetch, which I think look even nicer and are all somewhat to a lot quicker. 

Wilson

Here is a clue, this engine was what all was about.
I knew the owner of the car, its history is a story about how things could be done in the era of great autos.
Need to work now, will tell you more tonight.

Edited by MattiasAndersson
  • Like 2

The three Maserati brothers founded OSCA in 1947 (The Maserati car maker had been sold to Orsi ten years before).
1958 a 4 cylinder 1500 engine was engineered by OSCA and sold to Fiat (to be used in Fiat 1500 and later 1600).

OSCA used the Fiat engine themselves for a short series of tube chassied cars, the 1600 GT, with body shells from Zagatao, Fissore, Touring and more.
The engine was tuned and bored to 1600 cc.

In early 1960 Fiat wanted to build a top of the line sports car with the OSCA developed engine, the Fiat Osca 1500.
Fiat commissioned at least two carrozzerias to make prototypes, Fissore and Pinin Farina. Pinin Farina won the contract.

Fissore had built 20 prototypes that Fiat sold, half of them to Cisitalia (to become the model DF85) and the rest to the OSCA brothers.

OSCA tuned the engine similar to their own 1600 GT, and badge engineered them to be OSCA 1600 GT's.
Note that this Fissore bodywork was not on a tube chassi, so not as exclusive as all other 1600 GT's.

So what we have here is a OSCA-Fiat-Fissore.

• Like 3