Name this car....

3 hours ago, stuny said:

Just about everything you need is in these posts.  Who will complete the puzzle?

OK;

Initialy I thought it looked like a Ghia creation but couldn't work out what it was exactly (I, too, was thinking along the lines of Chrysler) and only knew what it actually was after Wilson's mention of Cadillac so he deserves most of the credit here. It's a 1953 Cadillac-Ghia - one of two built - based on (I believe) Type 62 mechanicals and was sort-of a 'Can we try again?' gift to Rita Hayworth from one of her ex-husbands; the Aga Khan.

I've nothing to post from my laptop but have just unearthed a bunch of negative files some of which feature vehicles so will scan /post something when I get a minute tomorrow. No idea quite what I will find yet but I'll try to make it interesting...

Philip.

Edited by pippy

John Perona, who owned the black Cadillac Series 62 Ghia, was the owner of the El Morocco nightclub. It started life as a speak-easy but after it went legit, it became the place to be seen in Manhattan. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Philip -

Correct in all areas with the exception of just a touch more info:  The body by Ghia is on a completely stock '53 Cadillac 62.

Your turn.  I look forward to seeing what you post.

BTW:  Thís was our daughter's favorite car at the Peterson Museum.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stuny said:

...Your turn.  I look forward to seeing what you post...

Your daughter has excellent - if a just a tad expensive - taste, Stuart!

OK; here's a sporty little runabout captured in its natural habitat. I've p'shopped-out what would have been a BIG clue from the crop to ensure that it wasn't too much of a giveaway.

Snap was taken a wee while back and the Reath-Robinson contraption I have rigged up to scan the negs found yesterday is hardly cutting edge so apologies for rubbish IQ. It's also not helped by the film stock being colour-neg which means that the orange base layer kills all possibility of offering the images in glorious Technicolor but, hey, It Is What It Is.

Coincidentally one of the earlier 'regular' road-going models from this manufacturer is at the top of our own daughter's 'Car Most Wanted' list;

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stuny said:

Some serious racing machinery.  I'm certain Wilson will know this one, but let's start with Porsche.

Yes; it was rather nice. Sounded good, too! Not, however, one of the 'Marvellous Mutants from Stuttgart' Stuart.

I'll allow a bit more time before posting another clue.

Philip.

I am going to guess a Lola, maybe a T70-Mk3 but it might well be one of the later coupé variants, although there were not so many badged as Lolas. They made mid engine race chassis for others, like Aston Martin, MG, Nomad and a number of other companies. The back looks a bit like the rather flimsy and wobbly back end of the T70-Mk2 Spyder, with a Donovan Chrysler Hemi 489 cu.in offshore power boat engine, that I used to race some 55 years ago. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I am going to guess a Lola, maybe a T70-Mk3 but it might well be one of the later coupé variants...The back looks a bit like the rather flimsy and wobbly back end of the T70-Mk2 Spyder, with a Donovan Chrysler Hemi 489 cu.in offshore power boat engine, that I used to race some 55 years ago...

First-off I'm just delighted that not everyone (so far!) knew, instantly, what this car is! Gives me some hope of dishing out some further entertainment which I sincerely hope you will enjoy.

Not a Lola, Wilson, and to the best of my knowledge the engines from these rather wonderful Beasts were never used in off-shore power boats.

Initially for the secondary pic (if the question lasted so long!) I was going to post a crop showing some more 'recognisable' bits of bodywork but, somehow, I suspect that the usual...erm...suspects...might like to contemplate some of the anterior plumbing. There is, clearly, a rather big clue here!

Doesn't add anything to the puzzle, I know, but when I saw the preparation here, in the paddock, I just thought that the detailing was beautiful.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Here's a pic whitch shows a bit more for you all to go on;

Poor thing has a bit of a squint in both eyes. Perhaps it can see around corners?..

Philip.

Edited by pippy

No, Wilson, not a Matra but the manufacturer is from Europe. The team behind the entry, however, is not.

This privateer team had a rather successful 25-year run in Sports Car championships based originally in their home country but using hardware exclusively from the the umbrella group which, laterly, included this manufacturer. This was the first time the car featured here was running at La Sarthe. It was also the first time that this manufacturer had been represented in the '24 Heures' for a very long time but it certainly wasn't to be the last!

A more generous shot;

Philip.

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Jaguar XJR-5 built by Group 44?

Spot on, Wilson!  It's exactly what you say it is.

Interesting story behind Bob Tullius and his Group 44 Racing Team. Mr. Tullius had started racing a few years earlier but in 1965 he, along with a couple of like-minded friends, formed 'Group 44'. Mr. Tullius had always campaigned in cars which were from British manufacturers and in the 1970's these companies became part of the group which came to be known as British Leyland, Here is where - for the purposes of our Quiz Car - it becomes interesing. I quote from Wiki;

In the late 1970s, CEO John Egan wanted to initiate a racing program to boost sales of the Jaguar which was falling sharply at that historic time, especially in the US market. So he consulted Jaguar executive director in the United States Mike Dale about a car for IMSA's new GTP prototype class and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Bob Tullius and his Group 44 team were contacted after the Triumph TR8 racing program had just ended. The car was designed by Lee Dykstra, together with Max Schenkel and Randy Wittine, who were experts in aerodynamics. The XJR-5 was completed and presented in August 1982.

In 1984 the regulations for the 24h of Le Mans allowed for different engine capacities / induction methods to be raced so Porsche (who would continue their dominance of the event) stuck with their tried, tested and phenomenally successful twin-turbo 2.65 litre flat-six in their 956 (later 962). Tullius with Group 44, on the other hand, went 'Old School'...

For homologation into the IMSA Classification the XJR-5 used an engine which was a 'mildly tuned' (I'll bet!!!) 6.0 Litre version of the same V12 used by Jaguar in their then-current XJ-12 Saloon Cars (hence the relevance of the rear-light shape and the six exhaust manifolds from one side of the power unit seen in post ~#19172).

I won't witter on much longer as there's so much 'out there' that you can all decide how much you really need to know about the whole process but, to cut to the chase, Tom Walkinshaw - and Jaguar Motors - has much to thank for lessons learned when Group 44 first started campaigning the Big Cats at La Sarthe after an absence of 27 years.

A couple of snaps? Not that I'm biased but IMO the XJR-5 was, without a shadow of a doubt, the most stunning car of the event in all respects - and I say that as a dyed-in-the-wool fan of the 956;

Seeing Jaguar - albeit not as a works team - was a large part of the attraction in going to Le Mans that year (1984). The cars were (IMO) beautiful, fast and with their normally-aspirated 6 Litre V-12 engines were the most 'musical' of the entrants.

Group 44 might not have won in that year but had Mr. Tullius not responded to John Egan's proposal the history of British Sports Car Racing would never have enjoyed the successes which were to come.

'Chapeau!', Mr. Tullius, and Thank You for all that you achieved.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Stuart, 

I regret I have not found anything to post that has not already been seen. I am just starting a months' long course of unpleasant medical treatment so unlikely to be taking many photographs in the near future. Can either you or someone else step in to help please. 

Wilson