Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

It seems to sag in the corners … British Leyland finish?

No British Leyland connection. But the owner's everyday car is a post-BL Mini 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Wide angle lens gives the droopy corner effect.

I think that's your pal's Alfa Montreal Duncan.  Not that I have anything to post.

At least it's a lot more elegant than Philip's Bristol :)

EDIT:  Ahh I see I'm late to the party on this one!

Edited by Graham (G4FUJ)
  • Like 1

Alfa Montreals must be difficult to keep running nowadays with next to no spares available for the SPICA fuel injection system. I suspect some may end up converting them to use carburettors, like folks do with early mechanical fuel injected Porsche 911 cars. 

Wilson

Andreas and Graham, you're both correct; it's Leica Society member Richard Marchant's 1974 Alfa Romeo 2.6L V8 pictured at Stilton Classic Car Run charity event last April 

https://stiltoncheeserun.uk  Richard has owned the car for over 40 years. Car was designed by Marcello Gandini who also designed the Lamborghini Countach. The original wheels are in storage.  Richard is also an MV motorcycle enthusiast. 

Well spotted Andreas. 

BW, dunk

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Alfa Montreal 2.6L V8.  All pics taken using SL601 / SL 24-90mm

BW, dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Not sure it's entirely honorable to post a new car without having 'won' the right to do so, but since Graham has thrown it open......here goes. Probably muich too easy. 

The usual info, please . 

JZG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe then an Aston Martin 2 litre speed model type B from 1936, perhaps the ex-Dick Seaman car, bodied to his spec by Abbey Coachworks. If it is this one, it is one the rare cars which was raced at Le Mans both before and after the war. 

Wilson

Wilson, not 100% correct but certainly close enough for the next turn. It's actually a 1935 Aston-Martin Ulster race car. One of 10 LM team cars, this enchanting little jewel - Ser. # LM 18,  is owned by Nick Mason & family and is one of the more succesful Ulsters, finishing 5th to help secure the team prize at the '35 RAC Tourist Trophy in Ulster, and a 12th overall at the 24 Heures,.

'Not 100%' because to the best of my ability to ferret these things out, all 1934-36 Ulsters had 1500 cc 4-cylinder OHC engines with 4-speed transmissions, bodied by 'Bert' Bertelli's brother Enrico Bertelli. Restored for the 2013 A-M centennary to look precisely as it did at the start of the 24 hour race in '35.

Thanks for participating,

JZG

• Like 6

.....and another image of this classic, preparing to get to its spot at the Pebble Beach Concours.

M9-P / 35mm Summicron V version IV.

JZG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ivan Goriup said:

...One of 10 LM team cars, this enchanting little jewel - Ser. # LM 18,  is owned by Nick Mason & family and is one of the more succesful Ulsters, finishing 5th to help secure the team prize at the '35 RAC Tourist Trophy in Ulster, and a 12th overall at the 24 Heures...

I was about to add that this car is featured in Nick Mason's very entertaining book (and the extraordinary accompanying 'soundtrack' CD!) 'Into the Red' - co-authored with Mark Hales - but having just checked the example in the book is LM21. I had forgotten that Mr. Mason actually owns three of the LM Team Cars, the other being LM17...

Philip.

• Like 3

I have a copy of "Into the Red" with the soundtrack CD at my French house. It both amused and pleased me that even Nick Mason, one of the UK's most experienced historic car drivers, could not make "crunchless" gear changes in his Bugatti 35, as I never succeeded in making quiet gear-changes on a Type 35, whereas I have no problems on other pre-war non-synchro cars. Quite a few British race drivers of the Types 35 and 51, replaced the Bugatti "crash" gearbox with a Wilson pre-selector box. Yes the Wilson box was heavier but certainly on twistier circuits, the time saved on not making poor, slow and missed gear changes, outweighed the extra weight. My brother was never able to beat the 2 litre ERA cars with pre-selector gearboxes round Monaco, on the historic pre-war GP car races but could easily beat them round Dijon-Prenois or Monza, where the superior handling of his very lightweight 1938 Maserati 6CM (1½L supercharged DOHC straight six, ex-Count Trossi works car) on these fast circuits with high speed corners paid off. 

I will look for a new puzzle tomorrow. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is your next car. Marque, model and approximate year please. Extra brownie points if you mention any of its period drivers. Don't jump to conclusions on this car, they may well be wrong. 

Wilson

43 minutes ago, Ivan Goriup said:

...The sqare mirror housings & some of the suspension details are reminiscent of mid '30s ERA single seaters...

ERA was my first thought but AFAIK the ladder-frame goes over the rear axle and not under as seems to be the case here...

Philip.

• Like 1