Name this car....

1 hour ago, Rona!d said:

It also reminds me of the Jaguar X-Type I had as a test car. Was there a Daimler variant if you say Jaguar-influenced? Don´t think so.

There could be some Daimler in the styling as well. What else could complete 'The Worlds Most......' ?

You are still looking at the front of the car in this photo, the manufacturer often gets onto the list of The Worlds Most Ugly Cars, and styles them after other makes. They are Japanese.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by 250swb

It is a bit like a 1958 Touring Bodied Maserati 450S (for the Shah of Iran) but the grille is not right. Have all the Shah's cars been quietly sold off or does the Ayatollah Khamenei have a quick blast round Tehran when nobody is looking. 

Wilson

They also did a cod Jaguar Mk.2 on a Micra, which my second daughter really wanted. I persuaded her a new type Mini Cooper was a better bet. Here is a photo taken in 2001 (Leica Digilux 4.3) of both daughters with their new Mini Coopers and my 1430cc Minisprint Cooper S in the middle. If you look at its number plate, you will understand why its nickname was "Black Bottom." 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And if you cannot decide between XK120, Morgan Aero 8, Wiesmann Roadster (end) or Mazda MX5, you can get all in one: Mitsuoka (Himiko) Roadster.

edit: Just imagine a visit of the "Mitsuoka Roadster Club of England" with 15 cars* being parked in front of a car maker in Malvern having a factory tour on the 1st of April. Haha, what a fun that would be.

* Doubt there are more than 1 or 2 cars in UK.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

Mitsuoka Ryoga.

You get it! Just look at this lovely beast adorned with styling cues from Jaguar/Daimler, a garden shed, and a Nissan! To be accurate this is the 'Wagon' variant/deviant.

They have a distributor in the UK if anybody is interested (Wilson). 😆

Well I'm glad that's over, but even if you aren't interested you'll get a laugh Googling images for 'Mitsuoka cars'.

Edited by 250swb
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, even a WAGON version. That tops it all!

When I saw the body panel under the headlights I thought: That is too ugly for a "real" car. That must be plastic. it was just too lousy for the cars I had in mind.

Now since you have fooled us, my next car will become a similar hard nut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few minutes ago after making fun of it, which I still do because it is so bad, it occurred to me that Japan has only been making cars since the early 1960's, so maybe that explains a desire for reimagined nostalgia, a kind of cultural catch-up ? Like the Leica MP?

• Like 1

Japan was making cars from the mid to late 1910's. One company (Datsun?) made a licence built Austin 7 from the 1920's onwards. Yamaha made a steam bus in 1904. Takuri made the first all Japanese gasoline car in 1907. By WW1, Mitsubishi was making cars for the upper middle and upper classes, pretty much the equal of Europe. It is a very western-centric view to think that the Japanese motor industry only started in the 1960's. I remember well showing a Toyota multi-pin electrical connector with a shaped O ring water seal, made by Nippon Denso, to a Jaguar executive in 1970, when Jaguar's electrical woes in the north American market were at their nadir. His comment was: "We could never get the likes of Lucas to make such a connector and even if they could, we could never afford it". Well they reaped what they sowed. 

Wilson

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Japan was making cars from the mid to late 1910's. One company (Datsun?) made a licence built Austin 7 from the 1920's onwards. Yamaha made a steam bus in 1904. Takuri made the first all Japanese gasoline car in 1907. By WW1, Mitsubishi was making cars for the upper middle and upper classes, pretty much the equal of Europe. It is a very western-centric view to think that the Japanese motor industry only started in the 1960's. I remember well showing a Toyota multi-pin electrical connector with a shaped O ring water seal, made by Nippon Denso, to a Jaguar executive in 1970, when Jaguar's electrical woes in the north American market were at their nadir. His comment was: "We could never get the likes of Lucas to make such a connector and even if they could, we could never afford it". Well they reaped what they sowed. 

Wilson

Great reply Wilson and it got me on the good old Wiki and I'm now fascinated by vintage Japanese cars. I think I was distracted by an article saying 'since WWII' which of course deletes a lot of history. If I had the money to start racing again in historics top of my list would be a Datsun 510 in Trans Am spec so I should have known better.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

It is a bit like a 1958 Touring Bodied Maserati 450S (for the Shah of Iran) but the grille is not right. Have all the Shah's cars been quietly sold off or does the Ayatollah Khamenei have a quick blast round Tehran when nobody is looking. 

Wilson

Good morning Wilson,

The Shah's Miura, the one with the vertical headlights, was sold a few years ago.  I have forgotten whether by auction or private sale.

Google tells me Simon Kidston:

https://kidston.com/motorcars/1317-1968-Lamborghini-Miura-P400/

This one went to Dubai:

https://supercarnostalgia.com/blog/lamborghini-miura-p400-svj-chassis-4934

Edited by hektor
  • Thanks 2

Here the next one, gentlemen.