Name this car....

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Viv:

But the crops are now getting tighter and tighter.

Will we finish with a photo of a bonnet hinge or door handle?

If the crop is significant for just one car, why not? 😉 I agree, sometimes we have tight crops but they get wider and more after a while. Putting them together makes it a puzzle with the full picture.

The latest car is shown by nearly 50% of the sideline and the guessing is drawing circles closer and closer to the riddle car.

Gents, so far it seems you are all heading to a german make. You can proceed with that (this is a hint).

The crop contains all elements to find this car. In that combination it should be unique and it should even hint to the year of made as the brother and sister models don´t have them all together.

Another hint: A famous racing driver was so convinced that he even put the engine into his own formula car.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Viv:

Gentlemen,

I enjoy this thread, even though I seldom recognise the cars.

But the crops are now getting tighter and tighter.

Will we finish with a photo of a bonnet hinge or door handle?

I think that we had door handles 🙈

• Haha 2

OK, here another very tight crop (apologize, even without door handles but with a center bonnet strap).

Hope it does not show too much of the car 😉

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kieft maybe the one with a De Soto engine but more likely the Coventry Climax FWE 1100cc? They also made but never completed a GP car with the prototype CC Godiva 2.5L V8. Half of this engine appeared later as the 4 cylinder FPF engine, later enlarged right up to 2.7L

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

11 hours ago, Rona!d said:

OK, here another very tight crop...Hope it does not show too much of the car...

It's a Funny Old World!

In post #17630 I posted a cropped snap where only the door/handles/hinges of 'some car' were shown yet, without submitting any further clues(!) and it being a model-type, with variations, which has been in constant production for nigh-on 75 years(!), it took practically no time for one of our very regular forumites to identify, correctly, not just the manufacturer but the Model-Type and probable year of manufacture.

Yet here, Ronald, you coud have posted the photograph of the whole car and I, for one, would still not have had a clue as to its identity.

Of course this doesn't reflect on me too well, I know, and I admit that to me Kieft is a manufacturer which nestles only in some obscure corner of my thoughts but, sometimes, 'a handle and a hinge' is all it takes. Just a thought.

But I do like the Kieft (if such it proves to be) very much and am happy to see something which is, for me, completely unknown and will enjoy learning more about the car!

:)

Philip.

Following Ronald's clue about the engine I started to think about German racing 'specials' and the makes of engine they often used, and after Porsche and BMW I figured the next obvious choice was....... Borgward! And this, I think, is a Borgward 1500 Rennsport.  

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

Following Ronald's clue about the engine I started to think about German racing 'specials' and the makes of engine they often used, and after Porsche and BMW I figured the next obvious choice was....... Borgward! And this, I think, is a Borgward 1500 Rennsport.  

I am sure you are correct Steve. I had dismissed Borgward as I could not think of any GP car connection but after your post, I remembered the Borgward-Kuhnke-Lotus 18, which competed (unsuccessfully) in a number of GP races in the early 1960's. I wonder if it still exists. 

Wilson

Correct, this is a Borgward 1500 RS. Started in 1952 with wins right from the start in the 1500cc class at the Berlin AVUS race, they could beat Hans Hermann in his Porsche 550 Spyder a year later (the Porsche 550 was also called "1500 RS" internally).

After 12 (!) records in the 1500cc class in Montlhéry with a serial based tuned engine Borgward considered using this engine in a F2 car. Instead the ex AUTO UNION engineers Momberger and Fleischer created the RS.

At the 1000 km of Nürburgring they made 3rd after Ascari/Farina in their Ferrari 375 MM Vignale and Stewart/Salvadori on their C-Type Jaguar. Not bad for a company and racing newbie like Borgward.

This model is a later version with Kamm-Heck from 1958. The Kamm-Heck was a box like a Rucksack and could be attached or detached depending on the race track. They switched to a tubular frame and a complete racing engine to stay on par with the rivals. At one car (not this one) the Kamm-Heck was fixed and built in the Elektron (magnesium/alloy) body. Saved them about 26 kg and helped to equal the weigth disadvantage of the RS. 

The 1953 Carrera Panamericana started good for Borgward but one car flipped onto the roof and the other one had a faulty intake manifold resulting the engine run only on 3 cyl. Too bad, a missed chance because this issue caused them to finish the last section of the race seven seconds outside the time limit ALTHOUGH they were 1,5 HOURS faster (over the entire distance) than the later (class) winner of the Panamericana.

They squeezed up to 165 h.p. out of the 1500cc race engines. Drivers in the 1957 season were Hans Hermann, Joakim Bonnier, Maurice Trintignat, Ernst Mahle and Giulio Cabianca.

After a test in 1958 with the RS Stirling Moss was so impressed by the engine that they put it into their Coper T51 F2 race cars. Moss won 4 races and Chris Bristow won 2 races with that Borgward engine.

Due to cost cuttings the racing team of Borgward got reduced to rallye (serial)cars for private teams.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And here two more snaps of this lovely RS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating Ronald. Part of my reasoning was off because I was thinking only of German cars that may have used the Borgward engine. Of course now you mention it Stirling Moss comes and Cooper comes to mind. I didn't realise the Kamm tail was an optional extra, but a few years latter nearly everybody was employing the Kamm tail one on race cars and road cars.

Back soon with a challenge of my own!

• Like 1

A very 'stylish' car from a coachbuilder that often gets onto the 'The Worlds Most......' lists. 

Nobody?

I would have thought of a Jag XJ (X308) or it‘s sibling from Daimler but I can’t recall the angle directely from above onto the headlights. There seems to be a difference here.

Lancia came to my mind too but no 100% matches with the cars I know.