Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, let´s lift the curtain. Would you guys believe this is a 1936/37 Mercedes-Benz 320 (W142) rebodied in 1949/1950? I´m sure this was a pretty strong smoke-ball, not?

Coachbuilder Wendler made four "Ponton" style cabriolets on prewar chassis. They used a special and rare 4-speed Maybach gearbox. The expensive series car I referred to made by the coachbuilder was the later Porsche 550 Spyder of which they made about 100 cars.

As it was parked close to other cars, I will not post my "whole car" photo but send you gents this link to RM Sotheby´s.

And this link.

Here one of it´s three sister cars which we all would think is an ALFA.

And here the third one known.

Here too.

• Thanks 1

Ronald; for my part you could have shown the whole car as per the Sotheby's pic and I still wouldn't have been any the wiser!

Only tiny clue which I recognised and could have followed-up would have been the small 'Wendler' badge just fore of the door shut-line but, even then, the phrase 'Needle-in-a-Haystack' springs to mind!

Philip.

• Like 1

Here the Mercedes logos in details

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

OK; I'll have a punt to fill-in the time before someone else has something 'nice' to post..

As much as I greatly love the 'esoterica' seen here on a regular basis (and make no bones about it; I do!) I'd be prepared to wager that an example of this car has never been displayed at any Pebble Beach Concours of any year ever but, on the upside, some of us might actually have seen one of these driving on public roads because there were a half-of-a-million of these things circulating in their day!

Have Fun, Folks!!!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, hektor said:

BMC ADO17.  Could be Austin, Morris or Wolseley

I'm wondering if a definitive identification might be made on the basis of the rust patterns from below the window trim...🤣

Probably "factory-original".

Definitely has the distinct whiff of a BL product. But happy to be told it's from a rare Italian carrozzeria...🤔

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, hektor said:

Maxi ADO14

Absolutely spot-on, Hektor, and very well done to everyone, really, as I didn't anticipate such a strong response from my one crap crop!

To give the car all due credit it  was the very first '5-door hatchback'  car to be offered in the UK and 'Plain-Jane' looks notwithstanding marked a pivotal point in car design which is still with us to this day.

Snap of the whole thing?....;

Over to you, Hektor, for the next Puzzler!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

2 minutes ago, hektor said:

That was the ADO17 posted forty minutes ago to which Pippy replied in the negative.

Yes sorry - not up on the coding.

In the UK these were always refered to by their "common names".

Series numbering etc was not really common in the UK. I don't think I was ever much aware of it until we started talking about M3 E46s...

4 minutes ago, pippy said:

Absolutely spot-on, Hektor, and very well done!

Snap of the whole thing?....;

Over to you for the next Puzzler!

Philip.

In concourse just-out-of-the-factory condition. 🤣

More commonly known as the "Land Crab" - Alec Issigonis's allegedly favourite design

Friends have an example in that astonishing not-quite-beige-but-infact-a-bit-like-sick colour that Austin did for a while for no good reason and has AFAIK never appeared on any manufacturers colour card since...

Edited by NigelG
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, NigelG said:

...More commonly known as the "Land Crab" - Alec Issigonis's allegedly favourite design...

Not quite, Nigel.

The 'Land Crab' epithet related specifically (AFAIK!) to the ADO17 1800cc(?) cars but not to the ADO14 an example of which never - AFAIK! - troubled the time-keeper's watch in any competition!...

Putting it very plainly - in case there is any ambiguity - the car pictured is an Austin Maxi 1750; aka ADO14 (etc.).

Thanks for all the fun!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1