Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 17 Stunden schrieb John Z. Goriup:

To keep this thread going, allow me to jump in.

The new quiz car.......................the usual info, please.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The funny thing with this shot is, that in the background we see (another) SIATA, a green Fiat 850 SIATA Spring.

But the riddle is called "name the car", not "name the car in the background" ;-)))

Sorry Ronald, but the 'car in the background' is not a SIATA  nor a green FIAT 850, but to show all of the cart,  I am offering an extended crop of the above image , and can offer the clue that car & cart share the same country of origin.

Now have at it.

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well spotted, Wilson.

It is a Cunningham, but not a C2R, rather, the only C1 that was produced, more or less as a prototype as it were. It featured a Cadillac V-8 motor with did not produce sufficient horsepower for its intended purpose of participating at LeMans as an all-American entry, nor did GM show an inclination to supply these engines to Cunningham at a good price, so the C-2R racing version, identical except for the necessary mechanical changes to accomodate the then-new Chrysler Hemi V8 motor that Briggs was able to cajole an old classmate of his who was a Chrysler executive into selling him at a generous discount, was introduced in '52 - three C-2Rs were produced in total. Cunningham proceeded to modify the 354 cu.in. hemi to make more than 200 HP and actually finished 11th at LeMans with a C2 he personally co-drove.

The car shown here is a long time fixture of the REVS Institute, the collection Miles Collier, who was a close personal friend of Briggs Cunningham, essentially inherited from Cunningham & put together in Naples, Florida. If ever you find yourselves in the vicinity I urge you to make eevery effort to view the collection. even though I think it is no longer open to the public as a auromotive museum, but I think personal guided tours can still be arranged.

You're up, Wilson.

JZG

• Like 3

You can see where John Tojeiro, AC and SIATA got their inspiration. Other than the slightly more bulbous front wings, it is very similar to those later cars. The Tojeiro car could be considered the prototype for the AC Ace.

I met John Tojeiro (Toj) once when I was visiting Lola in Huntingdon, UK, trying to get my very flexy Lola T70 Mk.2 sorted (it had never been designed to have a fuel injected 8.1 litre Dononvan Hemi offshore powerboat engine with 650 BHP and 700 ft lbs of torque or the 4 speed Weismann Indy Gearbox). We were watching with horrified fascination as the whole car flexed and twisted on the rolling road dyno, when Eric Broadley said, hang on a minute, Toj is going to want to see this. Eric went and fetched Toj from the office and between him and Eric, a few bits of paper and a couple of pencils, they re-designed the T70 Mk.2 chassis in about 10 minutes. They were the 1960's equivalent of Adrian Newey, who says he can visualise air flow and vortices but in their case, they could visualise chassis stress and loadings. The work that Eric did on my T70, absolutely transformed it. I then sold it back to the previous owner who had given up on it, for double what I paid for it in 1969 (£2500/£5000). 

I will search for a car later today but I may have no internet, as France Telecom are going to try to change me over from copper to optical fibre to the house today. They were supposed to be here 40 minutes ago. 

Wilson

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To take the pressure to post something off Wilson, allow me to step in and post this interesting little car.

Never made it into mass production as shown,  but seems to contain many elements which were seen in other production automobiles of the era.

Year, make and designer, please.............if you have it.

JZG

36 minutes ago, hektor said:

What about Fiat-Stanguellini 1200 Spider America designed by Stanguellini when at Bertone

That's the one..........I should have known better than to post yet another car from the 2015 Pebble Beach Concours.

1957 FIAT Stanguellini Bertone Spyder one-off, designed by Franco Scaglione, and assisted by Vittorio Stanguellini. Quite a few styling elements and tricks from the Alfa BAT series of cars of the same period ( also by Scaglione ) were incorporated in this design excersize. 

A lovely little car, but it was deemed much too expensive for to achieve any sort of commercial success.

Your turn, Hector

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

..............and the inevitable rear view.

Thanks for participating,

JZG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here the ingredients for the mixer:

• Alfa BAT
  • Corvette C1 series II
  • DKW Monza
  • Jaguar E-Type
  • Citroen DS Break (rear lights)
  • Ferrari Testarossa 1950s

Push the button for a minute or two and you get this little thing. NOT necessarily a good mix 😉

(The initial crop looked a bit like a VW 1200 chassis - wheel crop and jacking point but I had NO idea what it was). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rona!d said:

Here the ingredients for the mixer:...

...and the rag-top from a 356 Speedster.

I have to say that I DO like the rear-3/4 view. There's something about the lights/fins/decklid/bumper(fender)/tailpipes grouping which I find VERY appealling.

But (IMO) the rear doesn't gel with the front-half at all. It's almost as if one team designed from the front of the bonnet to back-end-of-the-door whilst another team did the hind-quarters. Very curious offering.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1