Name this car....

vor einer Stunde schrieb pippy:

Is it a circa 1977 Brazillian-made Volkswagen Type-3 Variant II?

Philip.

You are coming closer but it is not a Type 3 Variant II. The brazilian Type 3 you are referring to used some exterior parts the riddle car also used but the riddle car didn´t  use Type 3 parts as far as I know. It is a derivat from various other VWs.

Some more crops for the final spurt.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Seems nobody comes closer than Volkswagen do Brasil?

It´s a VW Brasília (yes, that´s the model name) made from 1973 until 1982. It´s based on the VW Beetle Type 1 with a wider chassis like the Karmann Ghia and 181 and with a classic beetle engine, so NOT the flat motor.

The head lights were from the SP2 sportscar, they were used for the 412 later in 1973. There were 2 and 4-doors. Nothing from the Type 3, they had an own VW 1600 model in the known different styles (the one looking similar was the VW do Brazil 1600 Variant). It had been build in Brazil, Mexico and Nigeria (as VW Igala L, an african basic version of it).

Philip was closest, he can decide who posts the next car (if not himself).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb stuny:

Very much like our 412, but better looking.

Completely different inside. No integral body, no flat boxer engine so the rear trunk is "full" with the engine. It looks like a "compact" 412 which I like. The 412 is a "grown up" compared and I´m sure drives better too (and fuel consumption is MUCH higher as well).

1 hour ago, Rona!d said:

Oh, c'mon, Ronald! That's not a real car; that's a Dinky Toy!.......

:lol:

Thank you for making allowances for a considerable amount of lee-way in the replies for your poser.

All throughout my nigh-on 20 years in the VW community I had chanced upon many a 'weirdo' (take that as you will) examples and had seen a couple of the Braz. things I mentioned but never once an example of the car  in question. Every Day is a Schoolday!

O.K.; I'll offer-up something snapped in the car park of my local Sainsburys just the other day. Obviously a part-time Sports/Racing car of some considerable pedigree. Perhaps.

Probably not difficult in the sightest for some here but, for me. it was an unusual vehicle to encounter in such a place in the first....erm....place. As it might be a bit too easy things might get complicated in that I'd really like as much info as poss. but this request is tempered by the knowledge that the thing is (clue) over....50?...years old and that not all fitments might be original...

Let's see how it goes and Good luck everyone!

Edited by pippy

Series 1 Land Rover 80" wheelbase.  From 1948 to around 1951?  A lot of the earlier ones did not have the external door handle, however the hinges are correct. Ally door skin (Birmabright) with steel bulkhead which always rots.  The hinges changed later on but I can't remember when.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations to both!

Yes; it's a Series 1 LR. I didn't have my tape-measure on me when I came across it nor am I anywhere near knowledgeable enough to tell whether it's an 80" or an 86" wheelbase model just by looking at the vehicle. According to the DVLA it might be the latter (c. '55).

I'm sort-of relieved that I didn't have to choose another crop as I'm not 100% sure what is original and what isn't; clearly there are major 'additions' here and there but I'm pretty sure there will be other changes which are not clear-cut to me!

I really liked it because it seems like it is still being used pretty much as originally intended and obviously isn't kept as a Show Queen. There's a certain unusual elegance about these early LRs which I find very appealing.

A few pics of the whole shebang;

Who would like to go next? You were both correct but I hope that John will agree that the additional info offered-up - and requested in my earlier post - sways things in the direction of Graham and he gets to go next.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in isolation with my partner (covid), so I’m not much use.  A front image would have sealed it as a Series 1 (with the headlights inside the fenders, next to the grill).

If Graham can’t do anything, perhaps let’s throw it open.

• Like 1

To keep this thread going, allow me to jump in.

The new quiz car.......................the usual info, please.

JZG

• Thanks 1

AC Cobra Mk.2 and as it has wire wheels like ours, I am going to say the same year of 1965. It is even the same colour as our one but ours has the lightweight tubular bumpers, so this may be a Texas built car, against ours being a Thames Ditton car. 

Wilson

• Like 1

The car, which allegedly AC copied for the AC Ace, was the SIATA 208 (52-55), which is exceeding similar at the back. If you look below, you can see why I guessed Cobra. This was ours on the 2009 Coupe des Alpes, so you can see how similar they are. This was originally exported from the UK to Germany in spring 1965. It then went back to the UK a few months later to be  converted to a race car, with wheel arch flares and enormous fuel filler for 25 L fuel churns, which amazingly they still use in Germany. We bought it from the original owner in 2005. It is a lovely car to drive, probably nicer than any period Ferrari, with light accurate steering, excellent brakes, lots of adhesion but coupled with very safe handling. A 17 year old could learn to do 4 wheel drifts in it after about 5 minutes instruction. It drives better than any of the modern "Official" Cobra replicas, the Mk.IV/V from Shelby or the Lubinsky ones made in South Africa, probably because they put in too big and too heavy engines. I think the Lubinsky uses a 6.6L Roush-Ford. This one is a 289 in (4.7L) Ford with dual four barrel Carters, making around 300 BHP. All up weight with full fuel and fluids plus driver is 1050Kg. 

It is a tad noisy but what a noise. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 5