Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now try this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 49 Minuten schrieb hektor:

BMW 507

Mousetrapped, hektor 😄

Andy, again your turn. It´s a 503. Well spotted (chrome trim on the door, 4 seats etc.) Graf Görtz the designer of the 503 and 507 (who lived not far away from us) told us that he was "ok" with that modification some 503 clients asked BMW or their dealers for. He had design reasons why he did not use the 507 gills on the 503. BMW later allegedly said that cooling reasons required the gills in certain markets. Well, maybe true, maybe not 😉

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Rona!d:

Andy, again your turn. It´s a 503.

Thanks, Ronald. As indicated above, I have yet to prepare some suitable riddle photos (will have to take some shots of two oldtimers parking in a garage where I park my own car), so have to pass on at this point. Anybody willing to jump in for me, please do so!

I had thought it might be the very rare 508 coupé, which I have never seen in the flesh. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That looks like a (poorly photographed) standard 503 Coupe.

p.s. The car itself looks just perfect in that color, wheel design, 4 lights front. This the way it should look like to me. Belongs to BMW Classic department. Photographywise the sun position is wrong and the pole which spikes the beautiful car is a nightmare to me.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

It is labelled a 508 on a number of sites but they may be in error. I agree very similar to a 503. 

Wilson

Wilson, it even has „503“ in the Munich number plate. Would be „508“ if it is one. Wrong labeled photo, my 2 Cent.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb hektor:

I didn't know the 503 had side-vents in certain markets.

Can we have the full photograph please.

hektor, "certain markets" might be a bit misleading but in hot countries the extra vents were welcome and some owners of the car wanted that extra 507 flavor.

You asked for a full photograph, here it is along with a nice dash detail.

• Like 2

For those who love details, compare the rear fender chrome trim of the car Wilson posted and this one and you might notice the kink versus the straight trim at the end of the fender. That is one difference between series I and II among MANY more you cannot see on the first sight.

When the 503 was underestimated in the early 1990s one should have bought some 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rona!d said:

...Photographywise the sun position is wrong and the pole which spikes the beautiful car is a nightmare to me...

Rona!d!

Whilst I agree that the pole is a distraction I must, with the greatest of respect, disagree with you on the subject of the positioning of the sun. I feel that, visually, the car displays much of its sculptural qualities by being obliquely lit and with fill-in due to the sunlit ground reflecting in areas which are in shadow.

But it's not as if we are on a photography forum...

:lol:

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4

vor 4 Stunden schrieb pippy:

Rona!d!

Whilst I agree that the pole is a distraction I must, with the greatest of respect, disagree with you on the subject of the positioning of the sun. I feel that, visually, the car displays much of its sculptural qualities by being obliquely lit and with fill-in due to the sunlit ground reflecting in areas which are in shadow.

But it's not as if we are on a photography forum...

:lol:

Philip.

Philip, are we on a photography forum? 😉

If so, I would share my thoughts what´s wrong in that shot.

"A" reflection of the white kerb destructs car shape/chrom trim

"B" LARGE dark reflection of a bush and dark shadow of the mirror 

"C"  roof color reflects sky in a way it appears like a dark grey tint. I would prefer a lighter reflection if there is any (wrong sun angle/camera position)

"D" shadow of the drivers side fender mirror disturbs the bonnet shape (wrong sun angle)

"E" shadow of the left head beam exxagerates the "stalk eyes" effect of the beam coming out of the fender/body.

Generally there shouldn´t be a strong shadow IN FRONT of the car in driving direction. The shadow should be BEHIND the car or on a dull day much less strong.

The landscape in the background is great but there are some things with the light, camera position, angle of shot. With a lower camera the front of the car should also be above the flowers in the water zone which would give the shot a better "flow".

• Like 1

Philipp, that car deserves better, it´s such a perfect beauty 😉

Be assured I would NEVER discuss our poor riddle shots made in bad conditions but this was possibly a semi-official shot made in the environment of BMW classic I assume.

• Like 2

Wilson, now I found "another so called" BMW 508 Coupe you might have referred to. I don´t know any internal BMW code but I doubt it is 508.

This car was also made by Autenrieth as a sister model of this unique BMW V8 3200 Super Autenrieth convertible which is basically a four dour six seater 503ish 502. One of the three most expensive german cars you could order in the time of 507 and 300SL.

To be honest I don´t like any of these two. They are even more ugly to me than the rare 502 "Barockengel SPORT" Coupes and Cabriolets which were more extravagant than the "standard" 502 Baur Cabriolets and Coupes.

• Like 2

I bet that the scuttle shake of that Autenrieth convertible would have been competition for the 1925 Bentley Big Six open Vanden Plas Tourer on the 144 inch limousine wheelbase, that I used to have. The original owner was the British matinee idol and film star, Jack Buchanan. The car is now owned by Rob Walton of Walmart. It is probably just fine on wide US roads but would get interesting if it hit a large pothole. 

Wilson

• Haha 2