Name this car....

Wilson - 

I suspected you, Ronald or Hector would get it rather quickly.  I saw this SS100 in Watertown on the Ring of Kerry.  Your turn.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

It was pretty easy. We used to own an identical one also in dark silver. We sold it because of one fault which affects all SS100 cars, the clutch pedal sits hard against the gearbox housing in a very small foot well. This means there is nowhere for your left foot and the clutch pedal is quite high as well. The standard solution is to tuck your left leg under your right after starting off and do clutchless gear changes. All very well until you have to do an emergency stop. 

Wilson

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How about this one?

hektor, you are on a good trace. Maybe this helps to determine the exact model (or possibly reconsider the brand?):

vor 53 Minuten schrieb wlaidlaw:

Well I think it is a Blaupunkt Frankfurt Radio, like my father had in his 1957 Ponton Mercedes 220S. 

Wilson

Indeed it looks like a Frankfurt. I have the same with a different chrome cover. The automatic tuner does not work 100% anymore but it still worked the last time I had it switched on. Blaupunkt Radios were not only "factory acessories", you could buy them for every car on the aftermarket. Often cars had not been ordered with radios in the old days. Even some italian cars got Blaupunkt radios.

There were only three stations available in the North of Scotland in the 1950's, BBC Home, Light and The Third Programme services on medium wave. The Home Service was also available on long wave. The auto tuner was therefore not set a very difficult task. There were also various broadcasts on short wave bands but from memory, I don't think our Frankfurt had short wave. I think you had to go to the more expensive Stuttgart model for that. 

Wilson

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

There were also various broadcasts on short wave bands but from memory, I don't think our Frankfurt had short wave. I think you had to go to the more expensive Stuttgart model for that.

Correct, Wilson. The old Frankfurt has no SW.

Mine in the Beetle is from my 1966 Type 3 1600. That cover is the same for Jaguar E-Type and Lancias. For Beetles there was another version which had chrome end links like the period dash trim. As you can see in the photo I put some soft tape between the (sharp edged) metal cover and the dashboard to avoid scratches. Seems it had moved a bit in hot summers so I´ll have to think about a better solution.

The Blaupunkt Frankfurt has a 3-step sensitivity ring on the right (blue, green and red) for the auto-tune (push the right frequency button). The left on/off/volume button has a sound mode ring. I still have all the brochures, instruction manual and warranty card for it.

The old lady who had my beetle from the 1960s until the early 1990s installed an late 1960s Blaupunkt I still have somewhere. Was a bit too modern for the ´64 car.

Last year I bought a replacement BMW radio (made by Blaupunkt for BMW) for my Z3 Roadster (the same which is installed). I was just looking for a volume button which lost softener in the rubber and got a bit sticky. A guy offered me a perfect checked, cleaned tapedeck BMW Business RDS radio for just 100,-€. Better having something like that in stock for later.

Seems you need another crop, gents.

Ronald, 

I would buy some split edging tubing in either rubber or plastic to go over the sharp metal edge of the Blaupunkt Frankfurt. It would also have the benefit of disguising any ripples in the metal surround. Something like the picture attached but smooth not textured. I have the number 34 rumbling around at the back of my mind. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Thanks Wilson. Since I installed it back in 2008 I forgot if I used the tape because of the radio (don´t think so) or because of the metal cover (which I think it was the reason).

The radio was installed UNDER the dash in the 1600 with an own frame/box enclosing it around. It could be enough to glew some soft rubber on the covers back side so the cover doesn´t have any contact to the dashboard metal.

Number 34 is wrong with the riddle car although the rear light looks similar. We are talking about a car partly made in Italy with the double number of cylinders.

Another crop:

I had thought of the earlier Zagato Corvette but the dashboard is wrong as I think that used Veglia instruments. Interesting that it uses VDO instruments which suggests a German link. 

Wilson