Name this car....

9 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

TVR 350i?

No; not a TVR 350i, Wilson.

The car pictured comes from almost exactly the same time-period but from a manufacturer who realised that the prevalent 'Wedge Design' ethos was giving way to the inevitable 'Softening' stage...

Philip.

Second Snap.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

7 hours ago, adan said:

Drop-headlights + hood slot-vent + button reflector aft the wheelwell smells like 1980s Italian cooking to me..... with red sauce. ;)

Testarossa?

Spot-on, Andy; You win the coconut! 1988 Ferrari Testarossa.

A few snaps;

Over to you for the next puzzle!

Philip.

• Like 3

I find myself slightly embarrassed by a shortage of rare-and-classic car pictures, so shall we try this "working girl on the job" subject?

While the cockpit is heavily modified for safety purposes, her exterior coachwork is mostly street-stock (except as - ahem - modified by other cars while on the track ;) ) to meet her class regulations. Should be able to figure out marque, model and year.

I also know we have some racers here, which may add to the interest, even at this entry level.

As the bumper-sticker says, "DIRT is for racing - ASPHALT is for getting there!" ;)

M10 and 90 Summarit f/2.5, cropped. Click through for larger 🔍 view.

Edited by adan

Pontiac is correct - just think a tiny bit smaller than the US version (literally inported from Oz) of the Holden Monaro.

And yes, both (along with other Pontiacs of the era) often make the lists of "The 10 ugliest cars that are fun to drive." ;)

Edited by adan

They were rebadged as Vauxhalls and sold in the UK. A friend had the pick up truck version which had a supercharged Corvette engine in it (as standard!!), with around 600BHP. He said he was lucky to get 2000 miles from a set of rear tyres. Obviously made for those odd folk, who like turning their rear tyres into offensive smelling smoke. Never understood the attraction myself, after 50 years of trying to improve traction on race cars, to avoid tyre smoke. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Not a 6000 or 6, at least for US consumption.

Here's another angle of the lady - with her driver.

It's a Pontiac Sssssss......fff........ - c'mon, you can say it! From year..........tttttttw.....

One begins to understand why the Pontiac brand died - massive model name confusion. ;)

I'm not a sadist, I'll bring this to a close this way.  We've been looking at a 2002 Pontiac SunbirdFirebirdSE - that's Sunfire SE. Twin to the 2002 Chevy Cavalier.

According to the drivers/partners (he Cavalier, she Sunfire), these otherwise rather mild compacts, in the 2000-2002 SE variant, ended up as sought-after cheap racing machines that punch above their weight. A combination of low overall weight, and light (139 kg/305 lb), fairly reliable, 2.2-liter, EcoTec engines putting out 140 hp (US) straight from the factory. A big bonus in stock classes (in this case Compact Sport) where the engines must remain factory-stock, right down to the engine-control chips. The race stewards check those, among other things (below, wheel camber), for compliance.

Based on the authority invested in me by my navel, I'll call this one on points for Stuny - the Sunfire was the replacement model for the Sunbird. The Firebirds were a higher-end line - larger, more expensive, more powerful (200-350hp) "muscle cars."

Go for it, Stuart!

Edited by adan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In the late '40s and early '50s General Motors had traveling "Motorama " shows every year, with current models and show cars.  The show cars had names which GM recycled into the names of production cars.  the first three Pontiac Firebirds were jet turban driven cars, the first one of which looked like a wingless jet fighter with wheels.

This puzzle car is a production model that I'm certain a lot of member know.