Name this car....

Ronald, 

The MK.4 is identical to the pre-war SS2 but understandably, post war the SS name was no longer acceptable. One of the Palaces we stayed at in India, (Devshree), the owner still had his father's Mk.4, bought new in 1946. He said it was not a very pleasant car to drive, with vague steering and poor brakes. He said it was nothing like as good as the later Mk.5, which his uncle had bought in 1950. I am not sure how much of that was due to indifferent maintenance, as my recollection of driving a beautifully restored SS2 3.5 litre many years ago, was that apart from an odd driving position, with nowhere to rest your clutch foot, that it was rather nice and surprisingly quick. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Correct Rona!d

The pre-war cars were referred to only by their engine capacity, and in fact the Mark IV branding was introduced when the Mark V came out.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I confess have several slightly older "hairy-chested" friends, to use a well-worn trope, who would like to re-visit their mis-spent younger days in the TR6 in the background...

(One even confesses to a Maple Brown version...)

Edited by NigelG
  • Like 1

Seems Wilson got it „nearly“ correct with SS but it is not an S.S.2 which was built until 1936 and was the predecessor model of this Mark IV. The follow up from 1937 onwards was called „S.S. Jaguar 2 1/2ltr.“, later after war renamed „Mark IV“ when the Mark V came out.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb hektor:

Dear Rona!d,

Wilson was a little off.  As stated the subject car is a post-war 3½ litre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Mark_IV

Your turn.

The sign on the front says 1937 SS 2.5ltr. Saloon. So prewar. I‘d give a half point to Wilson for S.S. (prewar) and a half point to me (2.5ltr.). I was wrong with post-war according to the sign.

hektor, do you know this particular car, is the sign wrong?

Oh, and there was Graham who correctly called it „SS“ without any further engine size. Another half point and maybe the guy who should proceed  ;-)))

Apologies to all.  I was rushing.

Rona!d I don't know the car.  The shot was taken at the 2011 https://www.motorclassica.com.au/  the premier car event in this country.

It is definitely a Mark IV, not it‘s predecessor SS 2 like Wilson said. But was sold as „S.S. (J) 2.5 ltr. Saloon“ because Mark IV wasn‘t the term before the Mark V came out. As we are living today and it was shot after the Mark V came out, the term „Mark IV“ is correct. Mark IV was produced from 1935/36 until 1949 (three basic models in different body styles 1.5ltr./2.5ltr./3.5ltr.).

I was wrong with the year made, so I put myself out. Wilson was wrong with SS 2 (the predecessor) so Graham should be left who was „correct“ (even or because he was more vague with just SS). As the game usually requires maker AND model someone could claim, Graham was not precise enough. But he was the one who wasn´t "incorrect".

Not easy sometimes 😉

As a side note I read that the Mark IV was the most sucessful car in it´s class until 1945. Assume partly because it was cheaper than it´s rivals.

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Give it to Graham as I am still in Covid recovery mode and not going out other than once a day to collect some bread. 

Wilson

Recovery mode? Get well soon, Wilson!

Bread became an expensive buy. What was 2.80€ in 2019 is 4,10€ now here.

I planned shooting some more footage for our riddle at two rallies my dad invited me to, but we have to set up a new big terrace and I need to stay at home as decisions have to be made because I planned it and ordered all the material. Steel, stainless steel screws and wood prices went completely crazy too I had to learn.

Ronald, 

I was very pleasantly surprised. Bread prices seem to have gone up very little in France compared with the UK. I suspect there is some sneaky French government subsidy for flour. 

Wilson

vor 19 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Ronald, 

I was very pleasantly surprised. Bread prices seem to have gone up very little in France compared with the UK. I suspect there is some sneaky French government subsidy for flour. 

Wilson

Sure it is. Otherwise raid on the bastille.

• Haha 1

I'll jump in, just for comic effect. ;) Starting here.....

• Like 1