Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Rona!d said:

Vauxhall 80 (around 1930-1934)

The last true Vauxhall other than the brakes. The resident GM staff (after the 1925 take over of the effectively bankrupt Vauxhall - plus ca change!), were apparently horrified by the almost total absence of anything approaching a decent braking system on the prototype and insisted on brakes similar to the then current Buick 6 being used. Motor magazine, a very influential force in the UK motoring world at the time, was very anti-Vauxhall after the GM take-over and published some very biased and scurrilous reports about their products. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

A W6 "SS" in the Anglosphere, a 27/170/225 in Germany

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hektor
  • Like 3

Unattractive non-original colour but:

4.3 with Vanden Plas coachwork.  I will post the blue car in the morning.

• Like 2

• Like 5

vor 18 Stunden schrieb hektor:

A W6 "SS" in the Anglosphere, a 27/170/225 in Germany

Hektor,

for a a split of a second I thought checking the MBs would be an idea because of some details but did not. 

Was that a 710 SSK (WO6 III) Cabriolet A (1928-1930)? I only recall the one made at coachbuilder Papler in Cologne for the german aristrocrat von Hohenlohe.

Which coachbuilder is yours?

Hello Rona!d.

Not an SSK wherein the K stood for kurz.  Herbert Lozier describes the car as an SS while Halwart Schader a 710SS.   The coachbuilder was Sindelfingen.

710 is a nomenclature applied retrospectively post war.

Incidentally Hohenlohe was a cousin of my maternal maternal great-grandfather.  He died when I was seven so we never had a the opportunity of discussing cars.  His wife preferred to talk about horses and buggies and only once mentioned a car belonging to a relation in Scotland. 

Edited by hektor

Thanks Hektor, indeed it doesn´t look "Kurz". Interesting to hear about your relation to Prince von Hohenloe.

I found cars similar to yours:

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1928→1933-mercedes-benz-710-ss/1928_mercedesbenz_710ss4/

https://www.alamy.de/vorderseite-eines-1930-mercedes-benz-710-ss-im-wettbewerb-mit-der-mille-miglia-oldtimer-rallye-in-italien-image69925135.html

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1928→1933-mercedes-benz-710-ss/ (scroll down)

Do you know the coachbuilder of yours as you mentioned that one also made Rolls Royces (if I got you right)?

It seems to be the equivalent to the "works" 4-seater cabriolet, so not an A.

Dear Ronald, the first two appear to be similar.  From Lozier I inferred this bodywork was fitted to a number of cars.  Daimler-Benz (Sindelfingen) sometimes laid down small batches of six cars.

As to Rolls-Royce I think there is a misunderstanding.   Hohenlohe was Fürst, I don't think a Prinz.

Edited by hektor

Dear Hektor, that Rolls thing was a misunderstanding. So this seems to be a Sindelfingen 4-seater body.

Fürst von Hohenloe-Bartenstein ordered an SSK Cabriolet A (Body Papler from Cologne).

https://mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com/marsClassic/de/instance/picture/SSK-Cabriolet-A.xhtml?oid=137512

Sometimes "prince" is used for "Fürst" like "Prince Rainier of Monaco" who we call "Fürst Rainier von Monaco". Maybe "sovereign" could fit as well. Any better suggestions?

12 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

Dear Hektor, that Rolls thing was a misunderstanding. So this seems to be a Sindelfingen 4-seater body.

Fürst von Hohenloe-Bartenstein ordered an SSK Cabriolet A (Body Papler from Cologne).

https://mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com/marsClassic/de/instance/picture/SSK-Cabriolet-A.xhtml?oid=137512

Sometimes "prince" is used for "Fürst" like "Prince Rainier of Monaco" who we call "Fürst Rainier von Monaco". Maybe "sovereign" could fit as well. Any better suggestions?

Thank-you for the link to the Mercedes-Benz archive.

Undoubtedly you are right about the interchangeability of Fürst (ruler) and Prinz.  Out of interest I will see how correspondence is addressed from the letters in the family archive.  Sadly no car photos.  They didn't seem to do so back then.  I wonder what happened to the Papler car.  It would have been a stunner.

Edited by hektor
  • Like 1

Hektor due to the Weimarer Reichsverfassung from August 1919 the royal titles became part of the civic name, so all members of the Hohenloe-Barteinstein family became "Prinz zu Hohenloe-Barteinstein" or "Prinzessin zu Hohenloe-Barteinstein. The royal privilege "Fürst" was lost and couldn´t be bequeathed to the next generation.

• Like 1

This one is quite easy so a relatively tight crop plus converted to B&W and as it was sitting on a mirror, I had to blank out the reflexion, as it gave too much away. 

Wilson

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

This one is quite easy so a relatively tight crop plus converted to B&W and as it was sitting on a mirror, I had to blank out the reflection, as it gave too much away.  Wilson

It is about time I sat out for a few.