Name this car....

On 11/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, Rona!d said:

Nope. Hints in Nigels and my (second to last) post.

Doh! I've only just twigged what you meant here!......:lol:......"Slow" is my middle name.

I couldn't for the life of me think why on Earth you typed 'stllm', Ronald, and decided you might just have had a few glasses of sherry over lunch...

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, pippy said:

OK; I think the car in question is a Sunbeam Tiger Lister Le Mans Coupe...

Philip.

Right you are, Philip. It is indeed a Sunbeam Tiger Le Mans coupe.  7743 KV is the first of the three coupes produced and served as the 'development mule for the other two cars which DNFd in the '64 Le Mans 24 hour race.

All images - Leica V-Lux 114

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

............and a rear view.

JZG

• Like 5

One of the two Tigers that were actually entered in the race, but unfortunately retired with engine problems after a few hours.

JZG

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An image of the engine bay, with the non-stock 289 cu. in. Ford V 8 with original carbs & intake manifolds installed , with the repaired original, more fragile 260 cu. in. motor kept in storage as a spare.

Thanks for participating...............your turn, Philip.

JZG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

During the 1950's and 60's speeds at Le Mans and the old long Spa circuit had climbed considerably on the Mulsanne and Masta straights and consequently, together with the introduction of disc brakes, there was prolonged periods under heavy braking at the end of these straights. It was insufficiently recognised the effect this would have on oil scavenging in the sump, as most dry sumps of the period only had longitudinal baffling and the scavenging ports were always towards the rear corners of the sump. The phenomenon of oil starvation under cornering and acceleration was well known but at the time, oil starvation under braking had been pretty much ignored. The pick up on the air separator/oil reservoirs were also at the back of the reservoirs, which could also be a problem under prolonged heavy braking. The answer was better designed dry sumps, with some transverse baffling/one way flow flaps and a larger/deeper oil tank, with the oil pick up in a sump at the bottom of the tank. I suspect this might have been the cause of engine oil pressure problems, which killed the 260 engines in the Le Mans Tigers. 

On the 1962 early 250 GTO (3527GT - the third GTO made) we used to have, you could see that the original alloy oil tank in the boot, had had been modified with a larger and deeper bottom half. On a cold day with over 20 litres of oil in the system, it took forever for the oil to warm to 50ºC, before you could use over 3000 RPM. Same thing in my 911 RSR with 17 litres of oil but at least that has an oil cooler bypass thermostat in the engine compartment, to shut off the flow along the sill pipes to the big 72 row oil cooler in the front spoiler, until the oil reaches 85ºC, to speed up warming. 

Wilson

• Like 3

Thank-yous to John, Ronald and Wilson. Fascinating information and stories. It does seem a pity that the cooling issues were not properly discovered and sorted before the '64 race. I remember reading about them 30+ years ago and the overall tone was that of a 'Plucky Failure' whereas it seems some later "Competition" Tigers were capable of good results when the opposition was of a similar performance-level. They were also rather handsome albeit in a mildly brutal way.

OK; here's the next offering. Not sure how easy / difficult this may prove to be but there's not much left in 'the pot' from which I must make my selection...

From a range which was designed by a world-famous styling-house there are too many 'giveaway' features to make this vehicle much of a challenge so I will start with a rather tight crop of one of them. 'The Usual' info regarding make and model and an approximation of build-year please - later images (if needed) will confirm the latter detail;

Philip.

18 minutes ago, hektor said:

One of the Farina designed ADO 10 series. Possibly a Princess R ?

Ah, well; I didn't think it would take too long!

You are so very close, Hektor, and so I'm sure you won't mind having to go the extra mile centimetre if I ask you to adjust your answer marginally?

This is just about the only angle which will clarify matters as to why it isn't a Princess R;

Philip.

Edited by pippy