Name this car....

Sorry, I was hoping to name the marque and run for cover.

How about this (I doubt it will take long):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Correct, Wilson.

Daimler Dart, SP250,  Not sure of the date, but without the whiskers, I'd say sometime after 1961 when the company was taken over by Jaguar.

• Like 1

SP250/Daimler Darts were raced quite a bit in the UK during the 1960's. The main problem is that the 2.5L V8 Daimler engine's main bearing caps are weak and notorious for cracking, so if you were going to race one seriously, the engine needed the individual main bearing caps replaced. They would then be substituted by a one piece steel bearing cage, which also stiffened the bottom of the cylinder block and line bored . Even as standard, these were surprisingly quick cars and as long as you fitted the Koni shock absorber kit, they handled quite well too. There were a couple raced with the larger Daimler Majestic Major 4.5L V8 engine, which was quite light for the 300 odd BHP they could be tweaked to.  My business partner in the 1960's rebuilt an SP250 and also my brother-in-law. I seem to recall that parts were very difficult, even just a few years after they went out of production, as by then Daimler had been acquired by Jaguar, who were only interested in the brand name and not the vehicles. My apartment in London was in one of the 1950's mansion blocks in Willesden Lane, NW6. Stratstones, the main Daimler dealer for London was just down the road in Willesden Green. I got to know the storesman there pretty well, getting parts for both of the SP250's being rebuilt. In the end he acquired a parts book for me, so I could just phone up with the part numbers. 

I will look out a new challenge tomorrow. 

Wilson

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, hektor said:

Lyons was also wanting more factory space and manufacturing capacity.

Particularly after the fire where a lot of the part completed XKSS and unconverted D Type chassis were destroyed. I always wanted to have a look under the bonnet of an XKSS to see how Jaguar rearranged the exhaust manifold from  the D Type. If you look in the passenger (LH) footwell of a D-Type, you will see it is very shallow and also gets extremely hot, as that is where the long equal length pipe tubular exhaust manifold sits. In the earlier C Types where the whole exhaust manifold is under the bonnet, they are notorious for over-heating their carburettors, causing vapour locking. 

Wilson

Russ Carpenter's 1400 HP supercharged Daimler 2.5 L V8 dragster might be of interest

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/276785-russ-carpenters-glacier-grenade-english-dragster/?tab=comments#comment-3357567

... the engine's lasted well considering its fragile reputation ... but it has TR7 pistons 

dunk 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a crop from an elderly digital photo which by the date, I think must have been taken by my first digital Leica, a Digilux Zoom from 1999, so apologies for the quality. Usual information required. 

Wilson

Correct Hektor. The full title would be Lancia B24 Aurelia America Spider. This is the property of a friend who is a Lancia enthusiast. He was the person who re-created a Lancia D50 Grand Prix car, having spent 10 years scouring Italy, in old garages, stores and warehouses to locate enough spare parts to make the car. He later recovered a crashed and burnt D24 and rebuilt that also. 

Your turn

Wilson

• Like 6

An easy one: