Name this car....

7 hours ago, hektor said:

Sunbeam 16

Good enough - it's a rather lovely Sunbeam 25 DHC seen at the VSCC January event at Brooklands in 2018. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• Like 4

My uncle had a Sunbeam 25 re-imported from India with an enormous (and not very attractive) body on the limousine chassis. It looked a bit like a motorised greenhouse. He bought it from the auction following the closure of  a motor museum in the south west of Scotland (? Swords). He had wanted to buy their 3 litre twin cam Sunbeam but was ill on the day of the sale and sent a friend to bid for him. The friend bought the wrong car! His 25 HP had a honeycomb front on the radiator, rather than the slats, which I am guessing might be thermostatic like those on Rolls Royces. 

Wilson

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Charles Morgan said:

Good enough - it's a rather lovely Sunbeam 25 DHC seen at the VSCC January event at Brooklands in 2018.

Charles, did you notice the body builder?

In the meantime I will find a photograph of a spark plug !

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the curved back, it looks rather similar to Charlesworth bodies, as often fitted to Alvis and Talbot cars but it might well be a factory body. The coachbuilder often does not seem to be declared for Sunbeam cars. 

Wilson

• Like 1

One off body:

2 minutes ago, pippy said:

Beautiful...but I've no idea.

I could hazard a rough guess at the silver car in the background if that's any help?

Philip.

Good morning/evening Pippy,  If it helps they were not made in the same country.  The body on the green car was made in Australia.  Pre-war there was considerable tariffs on imported car bodies to protect the local industry.  Sadly many beautiful (I am told) bodies were chopped off their chassis as they sat on the wharves waiting for Customs clearance, and the bodies pushed in to Port Phillip Bay.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hektor said:

Good morning/evening Pippy,  If it helps they were not made in the same country.  The body on the green car was made in Australia.  Pre-war there was considerable tariffs on imported car bodies to protect the local industry.  Sadly many beautiful (I am told) bodies were chopped off their chassis as they sat on the wharves waiting for Customs clearance, and the bodies pushed in to Port Phillip Bay.

Good Gracious! What a shame....although I can, of course, understand the desire to protect local infrastructure and manufacturing at such a difficult period.

I'll sleep on it - it's half-past-midnight at the mo' - and see what a refreshed brain might wriggle-out from the conundrum!

Bonne Nuit a tous!

Philip.

Note the upside down headlights as the car is in the Southern Hemisphere

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hektor said:

Note the upside down headlights as the car is in the Southern Hemisphere

Interesting; I had never previously seen a rearward facing 'Flying B' radiator mascot.

Every Day is a Schoolday!

Philip.

7 hours ago, pippy said:

Interesting; I had never previously seen a rearward facing 'Flying B' radiator mascot.

Every Day is a Schoolday!

Philip.

Philip, in the thirties all Derby Bentleys had rearward facing mascots.  After the War the forward facing was introduced to allow the bonnet to be opened without having to turn the mascot forward and out of the way.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hektor said:

Philip, in the thirties all Derby Bentleys had rearward facing mascots.  After the War the forward facing was introduced to allow the bonnet to be opened without having to turn the mascot forward and out of the way.

Thank you, Hektor, for that wonderful tid-bit!

Unfortunately if that little gem of info had been passed-on by my great-grandfather's chauffeur to 'sundry offspring' it must have been overlooked in the hand-me-downs which ensued...

:lol:

Beautiful little detail and I'm surprised it was something about which I had never read!

Thanks again!

Philip.