Name this car....

vor 1 Minute schrieb luigi bertolotti:

Oddly enough, on the Net you find what is reported as W15 roadster with both front and rear door hiningins version...  🙄

Might depend on the year made (1931-1935, sold until 1936) and if it is a standard Sindelfingen body.

6 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

Here is the W21 hektor found and I have no doubts it is "my" car but am confused about it being named W21 200.

And here the W15 https://www.favcars.com/photos-mercedes-benz-170-sport-roadster-w15-1931-36-259306.htm  (cannot guarantee, the correctness, of course... is a site as many others...)

Luigi, it´s your turn, you named W21 200 first. Apologize for the confusion gents.

Too bad my MB museum/archive contacts have rusted over the years, have to dig a bit. A side by side comparison of the W15 and the W21 "Sport Roadster" hopefully shows the differences.

10 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

Luigi, it´s your turn, you named W21 200 first. Apologize for the confusion gents.

Too bad my MB museum/archive contacts have rusted over the years, have to dig a bit. A side by side comparison of the W15 and the W21 "Sport Roadster" hopefully shows the differences.

Thanks Ronald, but I don't deserve any merit... was not a proof of knowledge from me, but only a patient research on the Net about MB cars of a timeframe I'm really not expert about... (too young I am 😆)... and arrived to MB only thanks to others hereby (my first idea was grossly wrong and technically bad... I thought that so well stamped metal would come from a replica or a "modern oldie" )  ... it was just a chance that I had time to investigate and reach the W21, a W number I even didn't know to exist, before... 🙄

I think that who deserves the turn is who firstly identified MB as the brand... the rest, as we have seen from the subtle question W15/W21 was very complex. Funny question, anyway... 😎very close to some discussions about some "uncertain" Barnacks... 😁

• Haha 1

Did a quick W15/W21 "overlay" in Photoshop and also counted the bonnet cooling slots (31 slots) at both cars. Conclusion: Same Sindelfingen body design. Cars fit nearly 100% in the overlay. Will not show this because of copyrights.

As this W21 200 "Sport Roadster" is possibly a later "conversion" from a W21 200 "A-Convertible" (see RM auction text), I wouldn´t give a penny on 100% historical accuracy.

See Helmut Schrader Mercedes-Benz Automobile.  Other than the engine size the W15 and the W21 had identical chassis and range of bodies.  The 1931 W15 had a 1692cc side-valve six cylinder motor while the W21 had a side-valve 1961cc motor and eight more Pferdstarke.

• Like 1

Am 24.9.2021 um 11:18 schrieb hektor:

See Helmut Schrader Mercedes-Benz Automobile.  Other than the engine size the W15 and the W21 had identical chassis and range of bodies.  The 1931 W15 had a 1692cc side-valve six cylinder motor while the W21 had a side-valve 1961cc motor and eight more Pferdstarke.

It´s even the same short 6-cyl. of W15 model with the same 85mm piston stroke length, only bore increased by 5mm to 70mm which brings 40 h.p. (instead of just 32 h.p.)

Up from summer 1936 you could also order the M 143 2.229 cc engine with 55 hp in the W21 series (making it the W 143, "230") but I doubt that could be ordered in the short wheelbase versions (2600mm) like the Sports Roadster which shared the wheelbase of the W15 (170/6). The W21 (2.600mm) was named "Kurz" (short).

The standard W21 four-seaters had 2.700mm wheelbase and there was the "Lang" (long) version which had 3.050mm (Pullman Landaulet/Limousines (Taxis), Cabriolet B and a lwb Open Tourer).

• Like 1

Definitely an intriguing puzzle car.

I'm not so au fait with Mercedes variations but the rubber covered running boards definitely threw me as a bit "low-rent" for a Mercedes of that period.

I have seen a 200 Sport Roadster for sale in NY but it had wire wheels with whitewalls and contrast paint on the raised body swage detail so probably not original. I think Bonhams had a LWB 4 seat version which IMHO looked rather more "proper"...

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb NigelG:

I'm not so au fait with Mercedes variations but the rubber covered running boards definitely threw me as a bit "low-rent" for a Mercedes of that period.

Fully agree here Nigel. Saw that too. I´d blame the older restauration (conversion) based on other (lower) standards. When thinking back to the early 1980s for example these small Mercedes were not very much sought-after compared to the 320/380/500/540 Ks so restaurations were much more under cost control/limit. A lot of lower cost cars went to ex-iron curtain eastern restorers in the early 1990s for that reason. A time these were in business because of cheap labor. Today most of these companies are well established and of much better quality. And original looking (repro) parts were propably not available in older times.

If I will be able to see the car again in storage one day I´ll check details and measure the wheelbase. Somewhere I heard that the standard wheelbase of 2.700 mm was available at later Cabriolet A. This particular Sport Roadster (according to the RM auction description) could be a later conversion from a Cabriolet A. If it has 2.700mm this would be good hint for the conversion assumption.

4 hours ago, Rona!d said:

reminder @ John Z. Gorup: It´s your turn!

Sorry.........I've been out doing some early autumn flyfishing,  now that the interminable heat of this awful summer has passed.

Lately I've been feeling a little smug about some of my puzzle cars, thinking 'they'll never guess this one', only to have someone identify it with absolute accuracy in mere minutes, therefore I suspect this will most likely not be much different. The usual info is requested....make, model, and year of manufacture.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

You're both so close that it really counts as a correct identification. It's actually a Dodge Lancer , but in a classic case of 'badge engineering', Chrysler used the same committee design for three of its divisions Plymouth, Dodge & Desoto.

If you've got something, it's your turn AZach, since you were first.

JZG

• Like 3

well, let's keep this going:  Make, model and year: